Author Topic: Custom Power List  (Read 171158 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Power List
« Reply #450 on: July 21, 2011, 12:12:06 PM »
The Power of the Blood- [-4]
Description: A true blooded elder vampire can draw a form of magical power from the life in the blood they have stolen. This power can be used to manipulate the blood of others and the blood of the vampire itself. The power of the blood works like evocation though cause hunger stress rather than mental stress.

+2 Focus Item Slots etc

Potential uses of Power: [evocation examples]:Controlling blood flow, causing internal injury, blood projectiles, [thaumaturgy at the speed of evocation examples]: blood chemistry alteration, blood binding (mental control) and blood tracking.      
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 08:17:32 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 22, 2011, 02:49:22 AM »
I like it.

Balance looks pretty good, since Hunger stress is actually worse than mental most of the time.

Although I'd be worried if people are allowed to mix and match mental and hunger stress.

Can they?

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 22, 2011, 08:14:48 AM »
I like it.

Balance looks pretty good, since Hunger stress is actually worse than mental most of the time.

Although I'd be worried if people are allowed to mix and match mental and hunger stress.

Can they?

No, the power of the blood runs entirely off of hunger stress as the power is meant to be burning life/blood and the hunger stress track is the closest DFRP has to a Vampire Requiem style blood counter.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 08:18:15 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 23, 2011, 04:05:06 AM »
Should probably make that more explicit. Otherwise it looks like you can just use your normal evocation and get 8 spells per scene without consequences.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 23, 2011, 10:07:47 AM »
Well, if you got both normal evocation and "the power of blood", nothing stops you from using those powers after paying the refresh. Evocation with 3 refresh spent on that custom power giving extra mental stress boxes is about the same both cost and power-wise.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 24, 2011, 02:31:14 AM »
Well, maybe I'm overreacting.

Extra spells just make me nervous.

Heck, I'm not even confident in the balance of the extra mental stress box power.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 24, 2011, 11:30:53 AM »
The power was never meant to be stacked with evocation, it is a power meant for semi-traditional vampires who being undead can't use evocation (I think). As the power has blood drinker as a pre-requisite it is mainly meant as a NPC power which should dodge the balance issue of stacking evocation with blood drinker.
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 25, 2011, 01:45:31 AM »
I don't follow.

Why can't the undead evoke?

Why would Blood Drinker not be taken by PCs?

What is the balance problem with Blood Drinker + Evocation?

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 25, 2011, 01:56:14 PM »
The reason I thought that the undead couldn't have evocation is that evocation is magic drawn partly from life so it wouldn't make sense for something dead to have it without a sponsor.

The reason I think blood drinker will be rare for PC's is that besides from RCI there are no PC blood drinkers in canon and even if you were play a RCI you probably wouldn't want to use a power which causes you hunger stress (power of the blood) which would in turn make you more lily to lose control and kill someone.

I was responding to Belials comment on taking my custom power and evocation the problem of potentially double caster stamina rather than blood drinker and evocation.
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #459 on: July 25, 2011, 06:40:25 PM »
The reason I thought that the undead couldn't have evocation is that evocation is magic drawn partly from life so it wouldn't make sense for something dead to have it without a sponsor.

Undead should be able to do magic without an add-on power: even BCVs. If they couldn't, I am fairly certain that Evil Hat would have included such a power in the Powers section, or specified in their monster writeup such a shortcoming.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 25, 2011, 07:52:33 PM »
Vamps can do magic. Harry mentions in the books that they don't draw on life like wizards do. They tap some pool of greasy dark energy that gives him the willies.
Iirc it is the same place that he thinks that the real fear in the vamp war is that they could take you alive and turn you.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 15, 2011, 04:45:06 AM »
Sponsored Magic Bibliomancy  [-4] You can project the world of the word (book) into the real world. Nothing from the world of the word can exist without context as it would lose its meaning and therefor its existence, monster drawn from books remain monsters and heroes, heroes. (all Evocation effects of this power fall under the element words and all focus items for this powers are books.)

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 04:50:55 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Watson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: August 16, 2011, 10:40:54 AM »
Is there a summary of the custom powers somewhere (as the Master list in the first post does not have all entries)?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 07, 2011, 07:17:52 PM »
Magic Eater[-2] -  Anyone who makes the mistake of targeting a magic eater with magic shouldn't be surprised when it back fires dramatically.

When ever targeted by magic a magic eater can spend their turn in advance to wrestle control of a spell from the caster (direct discipline contest). Succeeding this contest allows the magic eater to redirect the spell to his chosen target. 
Every night has its day.
I think.