Author Topic: Custom Power List  (Read 171713 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Power List
« Reply #405 on: May 19, 2011, 12:15:54 PM »
Power for a Exorcist

Spiritual Disruption [-2] Your attacks satisfy the catch of Ghost, also If you succeed in hitting a spirit as well as dealing normal stress you also inflict the aspect 'extreme pain'.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 20, 2011, 01:39:57 AM »
Nitpick: Kemmlerian Necromancy costs 2 refresh.

Anyway, Belial said more or less what I wanted to say.

So far, I've been adhering to Belial's method #3.

I suggested the "counts as a stunt" text because I allow new accuracy stunts on the basis that they don't stack.

So similar logic would make powers with that text good for me.

PS: Belial had a good idea for a blaster warlock in the game I GM. Living Dead variant, and an IoP granting recovery. Means I don't have to be too careful with his life, and therefore makes things much easier for me.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 20, 2011, 04:11:00 AM »
I am contemplating taking "dream or reality" with the associated upgrades for a game I hope to join. I was informed that it would probably be revised for the master list and that I should take the updated version. So any ideas for  a better system for it?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 20, 2011, 10:15:29 PM »
crusher_bob and Belial666 both think the illiteracy part is dumb, and I think I agree with them. So it's gone. (You can still take it as a compellable aspect).

I think the Rapid Eye Movement should go as well. Players can narrate it that way if they like, but it seems wrong to dictate it.

Otherwise, it seems more or less OK. But it could use some cleaning up, to make its function more clear. I'll do that later today.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 20, 2011, 11:15:25 PM »
First draft. Needs a good looking-over.

Reality Warper [-2]
You are able to shape reality to your whim, as if the entire world was simply a dream of yours.
Skills Affected: Discipline
Musts: Demesne
Effects:
Sculpt Reality. You can always alter reality as if you were in your personal Demesne, though with slightly reduced effectiveness. This allows you to make declarations and maneuvers related to the nature of the local reality with your Discipline skill. The duration of the changes created by this power is variable, but it's generally at least one scene.
Offensive Sculpting. You may use the world around you as a weapon. This allows you to make Weapon: 0 attacks with your Discipline skill against anything within your line of sight. You may make spray attacks with this power. You may also attack entire zones with this power, although you suffer a -2 penalty to do so.
Improved Sculpting [-1]. Your Offensive Sculpting attacks are now treated as Weapon: 2.
Powerful Sculpting [-1]. Your Offensive Sculpting attacks are now treated as Weapon: 4, and any scene aspect you place with Sculpt Reality is automatically made Sticky.
Counter-Conceptual Interposition [-1]. You may use your Discipline skill to defend against physical attacks.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 01:20:14 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #410 on: May 20, 2011, 11:54:07 PM »
First draft. Needs a good looking-over.

Dream or Reality [-2]
You are able to shape reality to your whim, as if the entire world was simply a dream of yours.
Skills Affected: Discipline
Musts: Demesne
Effects:
Sculpt Reality. You can always alter reality as if you were in your personal Demesne, though with slightly reduced effectiveness. This allows you to make declarations and maneuvers related to the nature of the local reality with your Discipline skill. The duration of the changes created by this power is variable, but it's generally at least one scene.
Offensive Sculpting. You may use the world around you as a weapon. This allows you to make Weapon: 0 attacks with your Discipline skill against anything within your line of sight. You may make spray attacks with this power. You may also attack entire zones with this power, although you suffer a -2 penalty to do so.
Improved Sculpting [-1]. Your Offensive Sculpting attacks are now treated as Weapon: 2.
Powerful Sculpting [-1]. Your Offensive Sculpting attacks are now treated as Weapon: 4, and any scene aspect you place with Sculpt Reality is automatically made Sticky.
Counter-Conceptual Interposition [-1]. You may use your Discipline skill to defend against physical attacks.

It seems clear enough to me! Good work.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 21, 2011, 12:09:16 AM »
It is a rather weak power numbers-wise. For 6 refresh, you get a weapon 4 attack/maneuver at your discipline skill that you can't give a bonus to unless you make more custom stuff. Compared to other forms of attack/maneuver, it's weak for its cost.  Its sole advantage is lasting (potentially permanent) aspects.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 21, 2011, 01:19:28 AM »
Um, 6 refresh?

Where do you get that from?

PS: Changed the name.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 21, 2011, 01:24:48 AM »
It requires Demense and Demense is only useful in your own portion of the Nevernever (so 99% of a time it isn't used in a campaign). Thus -6 refresh total.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 21, 2011, 01:34:30 AM »
Oh, I see.

Doesn't seem fair to count the cost of the prerequisite power, since that one presumably provides something for its cost. (And it does, automatically sucessful declarations are a massive advantage).

I assumed that each trapping was worth 1 refresh, and I tried to make them as stunt-like as possible. Which of course makes them a bit weak by power standards, but I try to err on the side of weakness when making powers. Besides, I figured that Offensive Sculpting's massive range and versatility balanced it out somewhat.

Anyway, I'd be glad to hear your ideas for making it stronger.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 21, 2011, 01:57:23 AM »
Alright, now for one new and one semi-new custom power that have nothing to do with Dream Or Reality.

MAGICAL WORKSHOP [-1]
Description: You don't need tools to make things. Your magical powers/your communion with the small gods of the world/the toolkit implanted in your stomach/something else will suffice.
Skills Affected: Craftsmanship
Effects:
Magical Workshop. You are always considered to have access to a workshop with a rating equal to your Craftsmanship skill.
Magical Worksite [-2]. Your workshop expands in scale, allowing you to handle the construction of entire buildings single-handedly. You are always considered to have the assistance of a full team of workers with all appropriate tools and machinery when attempting to build or repair stuff.

LONG REACH [-1]
Description: You have very long arms or some other advantage that lets you punch someone from the other side of a room.
Skills Affected: Might, Fists, Weapons
Effects:
Long Reach. Your unarmed and melee weapon attacks, maneuvers, blocks, and grapples have a range of one zone.

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 21, 2011, 02:09:17 AM »
MAGICAL WORKSHOP [-1]
Description: You don't need tools to make things. Your magical powers/your communion with the small gods of the world/the toolkit implanted in your stomach/something else will suffice.
Skills Affected: Craftsmanship
Effects:
Magical Workshop. You are always considered to have access to a workshop with a rating equal to your Craftsmanship skill.
Magical Worksite [-2]. Your workshop expands in scale, allowing you to handle the construction of entire buildings single-handedly. You are always considered to have the assistance of a full team of workers with all appropriate tools and machinery when attempting to build or repair stuff.

OK, now that power I like, it will work a lot better than Sponsored Conjuring magic for a scion/emissary of Hephaestus. 

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 21, 2011, 04:08:49 AM »
Glad to hear it.

If you ever get around to using it, please tell me how it goes.

PS: Rewrites of Creature Features are going up on the master list thread now. Feedback wanted.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 21, 2011, 08:25:14 AM »
I reconsidered. Only the "weapon rating" part of the power is useless, because you are not going to use it as a weapon most of the time. But the maneuvers and declarations part is very effective when combined;

Reality Warper + Combat:  declarations take no action and you can target the scene rather than an enemy with high defense. Since you now have justification to make declarations, you effectively get a free aspect once per exchange you can immediately tag for your combat action.
Reality Warper + Ambush:  Doubles the ambush effectiveness as you can create aspects twice per round - once for declaration, another for maneuver. You can even declare a hiding place or vantage point for the ambush roll itself.
Reality Warper + Thaumaturgy: You now always have justification to make extra declarations in addition to standard ones through skills. Ritual magic gets +2 complexity per declaration. I don't think that requires any more explanation.  ;D

BTW, Demense is the reason you don't fight an entity in its domain. Then they auto-succeed in declarations and basically get a free +2 to any action.

Offline jadecourtflunky

• Conversationalist
  • "You are cattle" "Moo" (blows head off)
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 21, 2011, 07:16:46 PM »
I took this from a web-manga I read occasionally called Bibliography. Some of the characters give up their normal eyes in exchange for 3rd and 4th eyes that can float far away from them.

Floating Eyes -? (You guys help me with this part, please...)
Faraway Eyes: Your eyes can move around a mile away from your position. Your alertness drops by 2 when they are away from you, but you may make investigation, alertness, and lore (third eye) checks wherever your eyes are.
Eyes above me: Whenever your eyes are with you, you get +2 to detecting ambushes and seeing hiding people, along with a +2 bonus to use of the third eye.
Linked to Me: The eyes can be attacked, but evade attacks at Discipline +2. Only physical attacks work on the eyes, but they can be treated as links to their owner, and as such with enough focus a strong spellcaster can "shoot a spell up the link", though it takes 1 shift more to do so.
Flying Eyes: The eyes are treated as if they have wings.
Breath Channel (-1): The eyes are treated as a channel for your Breath Weapon. You can fire it out of either eye. Using it in this manner requires Discipline, not weapons.
Convert Eye (-1): Your eyes can be transformed, either into a weapon: 2 weapon or a Armor: 2 Shield. When in this form, they must be weilded and cannot float on their own.

Other trappings could be added to make other powers go through the eyes, as reasonable. What do you guys think?