Author Topic: Custom Power List  (Read 170979 times)

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Power List
« Reply #345 on: May 09, 2011, 02:01:01 AM »
Noticed this on the custom power compilation thread Sanctaphrax made:  (Nice thread btw, good idea)

Holy Weaponry [-1]
Description: Your sacred power extends beyond your body to envelop the weapons you wield.
Musts: You must have the Holy Touch power in order to purchase this one.
Effect:
Holy Weaponry. You may apply the effects of Holy Touch to weapons that you wield.

I feel this devalues IoP and may be abusable (not so much overpowered).  Didn't know where else to post this opinion.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 09, 2011, 02:11:07 AM »
Size Doesn't Matter...: -1 (-2)?
Effect: You may wield any weapon regardless of might or endurance requirements.  Tripod support weapons? No problem.  Zweihanders? Child's play. Boat mounted  6 or 8 gauge shotguns for duck hunting? All are within the realm of possiblities for you.

...But It Sure Does Help: requires above power -1      
Effect: Most any weapon you can manage to hold one handed you can wield in combat..also one handed.  (likely quite abusable with two weapon training stunt)

They need refinement (not the power) but certain genres may make use of these.  Anime characters and video game characters often carry and wield things they shouldn't be able to.  The goal is to create something similar to this.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 09, 2011, 02:15:32 AM »
Size Doesn't Matter...: -1 (-2)?
Effect: You may wield any weapon regardless of might or endurance requirements.  Tripod support weapons? No problem.  Zweihanders? Child's play. Boat mounted  6 or 8 gauge shotguns for duck hunting? All are within the realm of possiblities for you.

...But It Sure Does Help: requires above power -1      
Effect: Most any weapon you can manage to hold one handed you can wield in combat..also one handed.  (likely quite abusable with two weapon training stunt)

They need refinement (not the power) but certain genres may make use of these.  Anime characters and video game characters often carry and wield things they shouldn't be able to.  The goal is to create something similar to this.

I think the massive weapons in anime are mainly wielded by people with super strength and years of training in the school of silly weaponry which would mean that inhuman strength or above would probably do most of what this power does.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 09, 2011, 03:15:48 AM »
I think the massive weapons in anime are mainly wielded by people with super strength and years of training in the school of silly weaponry which would mean that inhuman strength or above would probably do most of what this power does.

I respect that, but I'm certain I've seen many examples where this wasn't the case which is why I brought this up. 

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 09, 2011, 07:15:44 AM »
@Aegis Demon Shield:
If the point of the latest edit was making it non-stacking, can you rephrase from "reduces all stress inflicted by the natural attacks of supernatural creatures that oppose the user to characters inside of it by the user's Conviction" to "gives armor against opposing supernaturals to characters in the zone" ? That way someone that has already, say, armor 4 is not going to ignore the first 10 points of damage from attacks. They are only going to ignore the first 6. (i.e. the rephrase prevents stacking with armor)

Otherwise, even medium amounts of armor will make those within invulnerable to even major supernaturals such as a giant's weapon 8 attacks.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 09, 2011, 09:33:14 PM »
Aegis Demon Shield is meant to stack. You really shouldn't be suffering damage from the natural attacks of affected beings while this is active, barring extreme circumstances.

Comments on the master list would be best posted to the master list thread.

I honestly think that Holy Weaponry is significantly underpowered. If you could explain your objection, I'd really appreciate it.

I like Size Doesn't Matter. I suggest that it be limited, though, so that we don't end up with characters wielding the main guns of battleships. Perhaps a note saying that it generally allows the use of massive melee weapons and bows up to approximately weapon 5, massive thrown weapons up to approximately weapon 4, and massive guns up to approximately weapon 6.

That's a bonus comparable to that of a stunt. In fact, I'd probably allow this as a stunt if it only applied to one ability and was justified a little differently.

Normally I don't like powers that resemble stunts so closely, but the thematics here are good enough to justify it and I don't see this as likely to render your average +2 stress bonus stunt obsolete.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 10, 2011, 04:10:27 AM »
Glad you like Size Doesn't matter and it's add on...But It Sure Helps.  Feel free to adjust it as appropriate for the master list.

Holy Weaponry: I read it as your weapons now satisfy all catches.  Could you by chance further explain what is meant by Holy Touch extends to weapons?

If it only allows a touch for one stress against any foe and satisfies the catch of those opposing your sponsor I think it's still nasty and seems to make Swords of the cross and similar IoP less important and special.

if it satisfies all catches I think its OP.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 10, 2011, 07:54:01 PM »
It only satisfies the catch of "Holy Stuff".

You know the Holy Touch power? It's like that, only you can use it with Weapons/Guns. And you need Holy Touch in order to buy it.

It always kinda bugged me that Knights Of The Cross have to buy a power that isn't compatible with their swords.

The only way I can see for it to infringe on the Swords Of The Cross is if you assume that Holy Stuff should be super-special. Which it doesn't seem to be.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 10, 2011, 08:20:27 PM »
I think it could be a little mean still, but I see no reason to alter it.  Custom stunts are optional and if it bugs me when I run a game I'll just alter it or disallow it.  It doesn't seem so bad now though.

Samael

« Reply #354 on: May 11, 2011, 10:59:58 AM »
[-2] Screw The Rules, I Have Money! - For a Fate Point you can substitute Resources for any and all rolls for a scene, regardless of justification.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 11, 2011, 01:13:53 PM »
[-2] Screw The Rules, I Have Money! - For a Fate Point you can substitute Resources for any and all rolls for a scene, regardless of justification.

One scene is too long.

Samael

« Reply #356 on: May 11, 2011, 02:42:07 PM »
It's balanced, Righteousness has a similar effect without a limit so long as you stay within your purpose plus a secondary effect. This removes the limitation of your purpose and the secondary effect, balancing each other in return for length. 

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 11, 2011, 09:26:11 PM »
Righteousness allows Conviction to complement all other skills, if I recall correctly. Replacing them would be a whole lot better than that.

Offline jadecourtflunky

• Conversationalist
  • "You are cattle" "Moo" (blows head off)
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 11, 2011, 09:56:44 PM »
Wow. Nice title. Maybe it should be for one roll instead, if you want a replacement.

Offline SunlessNick

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 11, 2011, 11:36:50 PM »
From some custom vampire Courts I just posted.  Somewhat rough and ready.

Area Drinker -4

The character leeches upon the vitality of their surroundings as a whole:  people, animals, plants, and all.  Each day, they roll Conviction to feed - this affects a radius in zones equal to ten times the numberical value of the numerical value of the result on the ladder (and the character must remain within this area for the whole day) - the affected area takes on an Aspect of "Depleted," which can be compelled and invoked to cause illness and decreptitude, and against the healing of physical consequences suffered by inhabitants (inhabitant being defined as someone who last slept in the affected area).  The effect is cumulative if multiple characters with this power feed.

Manipulate Dream -2

This power allows the character to incite or alter a target's dreams. In general, this is a contest of Deceit vs the victim's Discipline - success allows the character to lay an Aspect on the dreamscape, which can be tagged or invoked to ease further manipulations, or the use of other powers such as Dream Vampirism. Aspects on dreams can be environmental ("everything grows dark"), emotional ("everything is inexplicably frightening"), or an incorporated element or monster ("beware the jabberwock"). [Mortals can take a Lucid Dreaming stunt for Discipline, which allows them to use this power on their own dreams, which counters the manipulations of others]

Dream Vampirism -1

This is carried out using the same system as Emotion Feeding, using the vampire's Decit vs the victim's Discipline - as the name implies, it can only be used on a target who is currently dreaming - however, any Aspects laid on a dream by the Manipulate Dream power can be tagged or invoked to benefit feeding. Some Dream vampires draw on emotional energy, while some siphon life force more directly - the only mechanical difference is that the former inflicts psychological stress and the latter physical - decide which one this character does (they can't pick and choose).