Author Topic: Custom Power List  (Read 171614 times)

Samael

Re: Custom Power List
« Reply #330 on: May 06, 2011, 01:46:53 AM »
Hrm.

I see your point, but a big part of the power is the thematic part of it, that it protects him from Daemons and hostile Psykers (spellslingers) giving him the edge when going up against the worst the forces of Hell/Chaos have to offer.
If its just a block then it will be overcome fairly easily (as your average spell-slinger can manage something over 6 shifts) which breaks meaning with the fate point expenditure included, making it vastly over price for what it is, while also nerfing the concept as well.

We need a middle ground, and the first thing I am will to set aside is the threshold ability to deny powers to those who cross them (as that is not what I wanted in the first place.).

Any ideas?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 06, 2011, 01:54:47 AM »
The only real problem (aside from removing powers) is that the threshold adds its full value to defence. If it was just a zone border, it'd be no problem. You can knock the price down to -1, and it'll still be a big advantage. You'd be hard to approach and essentially immune to all but the most excessively powerful ranged attacks.

Not sure that that's what you're after though. It lacks some of the feel of the original.

By the way, would this power work against ordinary spellcasters? How about vampires, or zombies, or dragons, or whatever?

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 06, 2011, 02:10:07 AM »
Is this any better, a direct bonus to musical performanance somewhat goes with the aim of the power otherwise I have tried to explain the quasi grapple (as it has no damage options).  

Transcendent Music [-4]
You can play an instrument or sing with a level of skill and power that you can almost make rocks cry and sooth the hearts of the darkest of people.  This skill is usual accompanied by an aspect relating to which particular deal with the devil/fae you made to gain this power.

Superlative Musician: +2 to all performance rolls made with your instrument of choice
Listen to my Song: you can play an instrument so well that all in the area will stop and listen: a zone wide mental grapple (defining zone as range to which people can hear the music clearly) against all actions but listening to the music, made by the rolling performance against the opponents discipline.  

[-2]The Soothing Song: Whilst people are listening to your music they recover from mental consequences on step quicker than usual.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 02:22:45 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Samael

« Reply #333 on: May 06, 2011, 02:14:52 AM »
@Santaphrax - I think your a bit overestimating the value of this power, given what I need to pay just to use it, I mean even with this power a spell caster like Bel's character can take me out in 4-5 hits, and Tsunami's could manage the same with his Mythic Strength and a big enough weapon. Throw mooks at me with Supernatural Strength/Toughness (Those Fire Giants come to mind) and I'll go quickly enough. I mean your GM so I'll do as you say if that is how your going to rule it, but that it my two cents.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 06, 2011, 02:38:49 AM »
The giants could never hit you. Fantastic Conviction + Superb Endurance gives you 11 defense. It is mathematically impossible for them to hit with attacks at Fantastic.

But from the way you talk about it, it sounds like you mean for it to apply as armour. If so, then go ahead and use it as is.

Samael

« Reply #335 on: May 06, 2011, 02:42:20 AM »
what do you mean Armour? Like armor: #Here Armor?

or as a defense?

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 06, 2011, 02:45:23 AM »
Thresholds stop extra damage from non-spellcasting powers before they effect the accuracy of an attack by magical creature, 1 point of threshold will nullify 1 point of extra supernatural strength damage (as the power is weakened).  Also the giants could hit him for full damage and accuracy if they threw stuff at him from outside the thresheld zone.
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 06, 2011, 02:50:44 AM »
So thresholds reduce damage?

I thought they decreased the to-hit roll.

As I said, the power's a lot more reasonable then.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 06, 2011, 03:00:03 AM »
Threshold lower everything for spellcasting including the to hit roll,thresholds weaken and nulify the supernatural powers of those not invited in but most powers don't increase accuracy so unless all powers are nulified to zero it won't start effecting accuracy.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 03:06:51 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 06, 2011, 07:21:20 PM »
Should "dream or reality" give you any ability to shape the never never while not in your demense?

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 06, 2011, 07:56:20 PM »
I think you got thresholds wrong;

1) They lower power and accuracy of spells.
2) They diminish the power of supernatural creatures (negating some of their powers) when they are inside the threshold - but not when they're outside.
3) If they negate enough powers to take the creatures into negatives, they decrease rolls instead.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #341 on: May 06, 2011, 08:20:43 PM »
Should "dream or reality" give you any ability to shape the never never while not in your demense?

I don't believe it would, but I'm not the power's creator. Although it would be creepy to have the monster "redecorate" so that the demesne is already prepared for guests.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 08, 2011, 03:00:35 AM »
The use of "threshold" in Aegis Demon Shield has caused a great deal of trouble. I propose the following rewrite:

[-2] Aegis Daemon Shield - Your very presence, backed by the force of your rock solid Faith, is anathema to Supernatural beings of malicious or ill intent. Effects; The Emperor Protects. You may spend a Fate Point to create a shield of True Faith around yourself and your zone. This shield functions as a zone border with a value equal to the user's Conviction against all supernatural creatures that oppose the user, reduces the power and control of evocations that target characters inside of it by the user's Conviction, and reduces all stress inflicted by the natural attacks of supernatural creatures that oppose the user to characters inside of it by the user's Conviction. This effect only lasts one exchange, but it can be extended indefinitely at the cost of a supplemental action each exchange.

Formatting's ugly, but I think it gets the point across. Ask if you need clarification, complain if you don't like.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 08, 2011, 03:15:15 AM »
The use of "threshold" in Aegis Demon Shield has caused a great deal of trouble. I propose the following rewrite:

[-2] Aegis Daemon Shield - Your very presence, backed by the force of your rock solid Faith, is anathema to Supernatural beings of malicious or ill intent. Effects; The Emperor Protects. You may spend a Fate Point to create a shield of True Faith around yourself and your zone. This shield functions as a zone border with a value equal to the user's Conviction against all supernatural creatures that oppose the user, reduces the power and control of evocations that target characters inside of it by the user's Conviction, and reduces all stress inflicted by the natural attacks of supernatural creatures that oppose the user to characters inside of it by the user's Conviction. This effect only lasts one exchange, but it can be extended indefinitely at the cost of a supplemental action each exchange.

Formatting's ugly, but I think it gets the point across. Ask if you need clarification, complain if you don't like.

I think that it works, and it is a very, very cool power.

Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Samael

« Reply #344 on: May 08, 2011, 03:29:15 AM »

Precisely what I wanted Sanctaphrax, this is again why I think your awesome.

I'll move this power on my Marine right quick.