Author Topic: Custom Power List  (Read 169513 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Power List
« Reply #315 on: May 03, 2011, 08:38:11 PM »
Don't like them.

Armoured Core is too good for a stunt and too stuntlike for a power.

Perfected Armoured Core looks like a way to get Physical Immunity (except better) for less.

Enchanted Items do not surpass defence very well at all. Evocation does, but it misses occasionally. Especially if you have defence above 8, which is quite possible at Chest Deep.

PS: It occurs to me that I might be reading Perfected Armoured Core wrong. Could you explain it again, please?

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 03, 2011, 08:52:41 PM »
Don't like them.

Armoured Core is too good for a stunt and too stuntlike for a power.

Perfected Armoured Core looks like a way to get Physical Immunity (except better) for less.

Enchanted Items do not surpass defence very well at all. Evocation does, but it misses occasionally. Especially if you have defence above 8, which is quite possible at Chest Deep.

PS: It occurs to me that I might be reading Perfected Armoured Core wrong. Could you explain it again, please?

Agreed.  Might be good for NPC's only...to make foes more challengeing...not for PC's.

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 03, 2011, 08:58:53 PM »

How are you getting defense 8, or above that at chest deep?  I can only pull off defense 7 without mythic speed, which is only an 8/11?

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 03, 2011, 09:01:33 PM »
Perfected Armoured Core isn't physical immunity, all it does is allows someone thier full dodge modifier in all situations which is useful only compaired to enchanted item defense. It does this by making Endurance dodging a passive action, so being grappled won't count as a block against not activly doing some.

I would debate whether Armoured Core is too good for a stunt, first it has expensive pre-requisites a minimum of (2 refresh) second the only time it would class as too strong for a stunt is with mythic toughness a rare power which also requires you to have invested 6 refresh on a power (a lot) and has its build in subjectivity of the catch.  

3rd Enchated Items are very easy to get up to 10 power and also are not effected by ambushes.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 01:57:27 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 04, 2011, 02:28:45 AM »
Stunts can boost defense. Superb Athletics + Supernatural Speed + applicable stunt = 9 defence.

And of course, as w+m points out, an enchanted item can provide 10 defense without trouble for a specialized crafter.

Perfected Armoured Core sounds like a reasonable-ish stunt, then. I'd probably get rid of the power requirement and the note about the catch.

Defending against surprise attacks sounds worrying power-level wise but great fluff-wise.

Defending against grapples, etc, sounds fine power-level wise but weird fluff-wise. How would in work?

The problems with Armoured Core are:

1. Potential bonus is too high. Mythic Toughness is its own reward.
and
2. Almost always applicable. Stunts should be more limited.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 05, 2011, 12:56:06 AM »
[-3] EYE OF PROVIDENCE

Description: You see all things as they really are, within limits.
Type: faith powers, order powers, supernatural heavyweights within their domains
Musts: A high concept that relates to knowledge and/or limited omniscience.
Effects:
True Sight You have The Sight. You are immune to mental stress induced or transmitted through vision such as observing the true form of eldritch horrors, seeing horrendous nightmares or facing the gaze of Black Court vampires.
[-2] Farseer: Your vision gets a lot fewer penalties with distance. If the "Eye of Providence" ability costs a total of 3 points, you can see as well as small, amateur telescopes and strong binoculars; observing people a dozen miles away is easy. If it costs 5 or less, you can see as well as most optical telescopes; observing things at the other side of a country is easy - seeing astronauts on the surface of the moon is a bit harder. If it costs 7 or less, you can see as well as the best mortal technology. If it costs the full 9 points, you take no distance penalties at all.
[-2] You Cannot Hide: Your vision penetrates normally opaque objects such as walls; they appear transparent to you.
[-2] See Past The Currents of Time: You can observe events without lightspeed delay, as if the light did not have to cross the intervening distance. Maybe your vision picks up magical or cosmic signals. Maybe your power snatches images as soon as they are generated. Whatever the reason, your sight is always realtime.
The Catch: Most beings with this ability are somehow limited in what they can perceive either in amount or nature. +2 rebate if you can observe only one event or location at the same time - such as a clarvoyant seeing a single room in the next continent or a Dark Lord being able to see only one battle at a time despite having unlimited range and being able to see through objects. +1 rebate if you can observe up to 100 events or locations at a time. If you can see more than 100 things at a time, you get nothing. +2 rebate if the nature of what you can see is very narrow or unimportant - like being able to see for only 1 minute each day, or only observe one bloodline or see all people that are currently scratching their nose. +1 rebate for less narrow sight or greater importance - like being able to see for many minutes each day, or only observe a major city or small country or see all mischief done by young children. More open sights or greater importance give you nothing.
The Catch is usually a +0 instead of no catch at all for very broad or still existent limits such as seeing all things ever written by man, or seeing all enemies of Asgard or seeing all deaths. Only major supernatural heavyweights whose powers are Knowledge, Foresight and the like (such as the Fates, a major deity of Wisdom or the Archangel known as the Watchman) have near-omniscience, even omnisciense limited to the present.

Yeah, I wanted a way to model Intellectus, the Archive, Heimdall's sight from the latest Marvel film and things like that. I was going for skill rolls but then I remembered; the Sight sees things as they are and you keep the memory forever. So, if you also had "X-Ray vision" and "no distance penalty" as supernatural senses, you'd see and remember everything. Add the "no lightlag" upgrade for the sake of completeness, a very narrow mental immunity so you don't get overwhelmed by the Sight and Catch mechanics and you get this ability.

Samael

« Reply #321 on: May 05, 2011, 12:58:36 AM »
[-1] Emperor Blessed Tech - All ritually consecrated tech wielded by a Grey Knight is immune to being hexed.

[-2] Aegis Daemon Shield - Your very presence, backed by the force of your rock solid Faith, is anathema to Supernatural beings of malicious or ill intent. Effects; The Emperor Protects. You may spend a Fate Point to create a threshold with a value equal to your Conviction within your current zone for one exchange. You may extend the duration by one more exchange by taking a supplemental action on your next turn. It only repels beings with malicious or ill intent, that are antithetical to Faith of the bearer. 

For the second custom I point to this thread --> http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,25097.0.html

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 05, 2011, 01:35:01 AM »
Emperor-Blessed Tech is OK; giving a hexing ability to someone is a 1-refresh power so preventing hexing should cost the same.

Aegis Daemon Shield has a couple of issues; How many times can duration be extended? Indefinitely? Only once? Anything in between? Does the shield move with the wearer or is it fixed to the original zone? And what it repels based on the wearer's faith - what happens if the wearer has a particularly accepting faith? Or a faith that seeks to purge or turn to soaps everyone except humans with a certain set of traits?

Samael

« Reply #323 on: May 05, 2011, 01:47:31 AM »
@Belial - I think your power works and seems mechanically sound and I don't see anything wrong with it really. Though for the initial power without any of the upgrades I would suggest it having a base cost of -2 instead of -3, given that it starts as a suped up version of supernatural sense + the sight.

It can be extended indefinitely till the end of the combat or scene which ever comes first. Then he has to pay another FP to use the ability again. It follows the wielder (as its attached to him, not the zone its cast down), the effects on the faith in question don't change, it just raises a threshold equal to conviction, which is appropriate to what I am trying to accomplish IE force back/harm daemons, weaken the power of heretics and psykers, etc.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 05, 2011, 01:49:52 AM »
It is -3 because it is The Sight plus Mental Immunity with a +6 catch.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 05, 2011, 02:11:14 AM »
Transcendent Music [-4]
You can play an instrument with a level of skill and subtlety that you can almost make rocks cry and sooth the hearts of the darkest of people.

Superlative Musician: +4 to normal performance rolls with your instrument of choice
Listen to my Song: you can play an instrument so well that all in the area will stop and listen (a zone wide mental grapple at your performance skill to stop doing anything but listen to the music)
The Soothing Song: Whilst people are listening to your music they recover from mental consequences on step quicker than usual. (Inhuman Mental Recovery)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 02:14:31 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 05, 2011, 08:58:46 PM »
Emperor-Blessed Tech looks fine, given Belial's take on it.

I don't understand how Aegis Daemon Shield works. Could you give an example please?

Trancendent Music is interesting, but there are a few issues. Firstly, I don't like powers that provide straight skill bonuses. Secondly, the mechanics behind the grapple are unclear. And thirdlly, The Soothing Song seems like an optional add-on or a separate power.

Eye Of Providence is nicely written, in my opinion. I don't really like the way that Farseer keys off of the total power cost though. And it sould have an upgrade that lets you see in all directions, because otherwise it doesn't do what you want.

Samael

« Reply #327 on: May 05, 2011, 11:31:54 PM »
Ok here is an example.

Suppose a bunch of demons decide to attack my Grey Knight. I spend a Fate Point and create my Zone Wide threshold, and for a single combat round (unless I extend with a supplemental) they suffer all the effects Thresholds provide IE Their attacks are decreased by the strength of the the threshold and any of the creatures not in the zone must beat the threshold rating to enter. Any spells or natural attacks (so not Guns or the like) these creatures used that enter the zone are likewise weakened. So with a Fantastic Conviction (giving a +6 threshold) that means a wizard who ordinarily casts +7 evocations now only gets the equivalent of +1 shift attacks for the same effort. Any spell used that is below the threshold rating simply does not work, it unravels the spell. But this is only for a single combat round and you must use a supplimental action to maintain it, if you choose not to maintain it or whenever the combat/scene ends (whichever is first) the Shield ends and another FP must be spent to use it.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 06, 2011, 12:21:44 AM »
Transcendent Music [-4]
You can play an instrument with a level of skill and subtlety that you can almost make rocks cry and sooth the hearts of the darkest of people.

Superlative Musician: +4 to normal performance rolls with your instrument of choice
Listen to my Song: you can play an instrument so well that all in the area will stop and listen (a zone wide mental grapple at your performance skill to stop doing anything but listen to the music)
The Soothing Song: Whilst people are listening to your music they recover from mental consequences on step quicker than usual. (Inhuman Mental Recovery)

Can voice be chosen as the instrument?

I like this either way, just curious.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 06, 2011, 01:25:48 AM »
I'm worried that that might be a bit too powerful. You'll be pretty much adding your Conviction to your defence skill, which will make you essentially impossible to hit.

Also, I think that thresholds deny powers to those who cross them. That's probably a no-no.

If it was a block instead of a threshold, it would probably be more acceptable. In fact, you could get it for 1 refresh then. At least on a trial basis.

I think you'll find that it'll still be very good (which it should be, for a Fate Point and all those supplemental actions). It'll basically set your defence rolls to a minimum of Conviction, and it'll make it impossible to close to melee range casually.