Author Topic: Custom Power List  (Read 171072 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Power List
« Reply #300 on: April 29, 2011, 08:54:10 PM »
That seems potentially broken. Would this include the extra shifts from very successful attack rolls, or would it just be the Weapon:2/Spell:4/etc. shifts?

The current RAW-legal way to do this would be to execute multiple Maneuvers to set up Sticky Aspects like "Phantom Slash" that you could then tag later on in the conflict (similarly, at 2 shifts for each Aspect).

It was thinking you could store final stress after armour though I thought that might be a bit broken would only storing the weapons damage be less broken ?
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #301 on: April 29, 2011, 09:12:56 PM »
It was thinking you could store final stress after armour though I thought that might be a bit broken would only storing the weapons damage be less broken ?

Less broken, but unfortunately less useful.

That said, a Damage-only version of this power could be easier than stacking up Sticky Aspects:
This power: hit the target with a 0-shift result or better to get Weapon:x shifts that you can "tag" later for +x.
Maneuver: hit the target with a 1-shift result or better to get an Aspect that you can "tag" later for a +2.

One could also write a Stunt version:

Deceptive Strike (Weapons): you are trained to deceive your targets with imperceptible slashes and blows, which prevents a target from noticing how wounded he is until you finish them with a well-timed blow. Add +2 to Weapons checks to place Sticky Aspects reflecting this ability, such as "Phantom Slash" or "Painless Wound."

Chi Point Strike (Fists): You are trained to strike your opponent's chi centers, which prevents a target from noticing how wounded he is until it is too late. Add +2 to Fists checks to place Sticky Aspects reflecting this ability, such as "Imperceptible Wound" or "Chi Disruption."
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 29, 2011, 09:35:34 PM »
Those stunts are really cool, I think that a weapons only version of this ability well strong (potential of massive weapons ratings) given all its costs (exchanges, +2 refresh) is probably reasonably balanced (at least by DFRP magic standards).   
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #303 on: April 29, 2011, 09:39:02 PM »
Those stunts are really cool, I think that a weapons only version of this ability well strong (potential of massive weapons ratings) given all its costs (exchanges, +2 refresh) is probably reasonably balanced (at least by DFRP magic standards).   

*If* I allowed it, I agree that -2 refresh *would* seem about right as the cost.

Offline jadecourtflunky

• Conversationalist
  • "You are cattle" "Moo" (blows head off)
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 30, 2011, 01:10:47 AM »
I think this could be plausible as a stunt, but most people don't have the skill it takes to do this and I designed this for a were-mockingbird, so it's in here.

Mimic Sound -1
This character, after being exposed to a sound enough, can mimic it almost perfectly. Using Deceit, this character may mimic any sound that they could justifiably hear often (A guy on the streets won't mimic a jaguar's roar, and a tribal native won't be able to do a police siren). Performance could be swapped for Deceit with justification (like if the character is a comedian who's really good at impersonations). This only applies to general sounds, not speech.

Mimic Voice -1: This character after hearing someone speak for a long enough amount of time (Not a few words, but maybe a short conversation) can mimic that person's voice using Deceit. Just like Mimic sound, this can be used with performance as well.

They're interesting powers (or stunts) for social builds. They have lots of uses too. Have to scare off that criminal? Try a police siren, or mimicing a police officer. Want to distract him so your buddy can knock him out? Mimic the sound of his phone ringing, or mimic a woman calling him over. Wanna scare him? Ever heard a good horror movie scream, and didn't that ghoul you met a few weeks ago have a really creepy voice?

Offline Gatts

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 30, 2011, 12:17:39 PM »
Mimic Sound -1
This character, after being exposed to a sound enough, can mimic it almost perfectly. Using Deceit, this character may mimic any sound that they could justifiably hear often (A guy on the streets won't mimic a jaguar's roar, and a tribal native won't be able to do a police siren). Performance could be swapped for Deceit with justification (like if the character is a comedian who's really good at impersonations). This only applies to general sounds, not speech.

Mimic Voice -1: This character after hearing someone speak for a long enough amount of time (Not a few words, but maybe a short conversation) can mimic that person's voice using Deceit. Just like Mimic sound, this can be used with performance as well.

I think they're both cool, but more stunts than powers. For a power, I'd combine them both and leave them at one refresh, otherwise it just isn't useful enough to justify magical abilities.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 30, 2011, 04:04:59 PM »
I think they're both cool, but more stunts than powers. For a power, I'd combine them both and leave them at one refresh, otherwise it just isn't useful enough to justify magical abilities.

I agree.

You may also want to find a way to work in ventriloquism (non traditional) to make hte siren sound like it's coming from a certain direction.  Far more useful than a dead end alley emiting a siren.

Could performance be used for ventriloquism or would a power work better?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 30, 2011, 04:15:03 PM »
'Throwing one's voice' sounds to be in the range of a stunt, I'd say, comparable to Pickpocket (and similarly achievable without the stunt at penalty).
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 30, 2011, 10:26:01 PM »
[-1] Astral Projection
Requirements: Spirit Form [-3]
You can freely change between your spirit form and your human body, your body is left in a comatose state whilst you are out and will eventually die if you don't return to your body in a timely manner.
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline jadecourtflunky

• Conversationalist
  • "You are cattle" "Moo" (blows head off)
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 01, 2011, 02:27:34 AM »
You may also want to find a way to work in ventriloquism (non traditional) to make hte siren sound like it's coming from a certain direction.  Far more useful than a dead end alley emiting a siren.

I designed it as a "power" for a were-mockingbird... so he could make it sound like the siren's coming from the street. Also, I would probably ppost this on a stunt thread... if we had a stunt thread we could post on in the resoucres thread.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 01, 2011, 07:07:57 PM »
Mimic Sound and Mimic voice look like Echoes Of The Beast trappings to me.

I confess that I don't really understand how Phantom Slashes is meant to work.

Astral Projection looks like a good idea to me. Human Form probably shouldn't be allowed to affect Spirit Form anyway, since that makes your character stronger while refunding refresh.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #311 on: May 02, 2011, 04:25:14 AM »
I confess that I don't really understand how Phantom Slashes is meant to work.

Simply, as written, it lets a character score a hit, write down the number of stress that hit would have inflicted, and (instead of dealing that stress in that exchange) decide later in the conflict to cash them in - the tactical advantage being that you can suddenly inflict a very large hit in one shot that will hopefully overcome all of the consequence and stress tracks in one decisive final blow. It is mechanically the same as stacking Aspects to tag for a decisive final blow, except the potential payoff is much higher.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #312 on: May 02, 2011, 04:50:47 AM »
Mimic Sound -1
Mimic Voice -1

I think Mimic Sound is a good Echoes of the Beast trapping - allowing Performance to substitute for Deceit in certain situations.

I think the two combined would make a decent 1-refresh Supernatural Power.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 03, 2011, 03:42:00 AM »
Supernatural Tank Stunt/Powers

Armoured Core [-1]
Requires "Inhuman or greater Toughness" and "Shrug it off"
When using shrug it off to "dodge" an attack with endurance which does not bypass your toughness power add your supernatural armour rating to your dodge roll (+1 for inhuman, +2 for supernatural, +3 for Mythic Toughness)

Perfected Amoured Core [-1]
Requires Inhuman Toughness or greater, Shrug it off and Armoured Core
You can 'dodge' any attack with Endurance which does not bypass your catch regardless of the situation ie (grapples, ambushes etc).  
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 04:00:23 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 03, 2011, 04:47:04 AM »
Supernatural Tank Stunt/Powers

Armoured Core [-1]
Requires "Inhuman or greater Toughness" and "Shrug it off"
When using shrug it off to "dodge" an attack with endurance which does not bypass your toughness power add your supernatural armour rating to your dodge roll (+1 for inhuman, +2 for supernatural, +3 for Mythic Toughness)

Perfected Amoured Core [-1]
Requires Inhuman Toughness or greater, Shrug it off and Armoured Core
You can 'dodge' any attack with Endurance which does not bypass your catch regardless of the situation ie (grapples, ambushes etc).  

Those are good, and to be honest I have always been kind of annoyed that evocation, or enchanted items flat out surpass any other defense.  8 defense is about the highest a speed guy can get, and is still hit easily by a wizard for 2 less refresh. . .