Author Topic: Custom Power List  (Read 171263 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Power List
« Reply #255 on: April 12, 2011, 02:46:15 AM »
I am wondering would it be crass to use Damage Shield as a model for lightsaber/ magic shield deflection?
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 12, 2011, 02:47:45 AM »
Yeah, Fire Elementals probably need the Mutual Damage Shield upgrade.

Honestly, the game rules are going to create insane situations every once in a while. For example, the current RAW allows you to punch fire elementals and suffer no harm whether you miss or not. The GM is expected to swoop in with compels or creative description at that point.

In situations like that, you might as well just use whatever you would have used if this power doesn't exist. A compel not to attack with Fists seems like the best idea to me.

And it's definitely not crass to use this for attack reflection. What does crass even mean in this context?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 12, 2011, 02:50:04 AM »
rule that the porcupine would be just the basic Damage Shield, with a successful Fists check indicating Murphy hit a soft spot?

Or just from the right angle
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 12, 2011, 02:52:12 AM »

Yeah, Fire Elementals probably need the Mutual Damage Shield upgrade.

Honestly, the game rules are going to create insane situations every once in a while. For example, the current RAW allows you to punch fire elementals and suffer no harm whether you miss or not. The GM is expected to swoop in with compels or creative description at that point.

In situations like that, you might as well just use whatever you would have used if this power doesn't exist. A compel not to attack with Fists seems like the best idea to me.

And it's definitely not crass to use this for attack reflection. What does crass even mean in this context?

Well using any power to model lightsabers in dresden files could be seen as cocking a snook.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 18, 2011, 02:36:45 AM »
I wouldn't worry about what people think of your snook if I were you.

Anyway, after talking a bit to Belial666 on the Demons! thread I've got a first draft of the other damaging aura power.

Dangerous Aura [-2]
Description: Standing near you is dangerous.
Musts: Nothing in particular.
Effect:
Dangerous Aura. This power makes a Fair physical attack against Endurance at weapon 0 against each character in your zone each turn. EDIT: Please note that this power can be turned off and does not affect the user.
Extra-Dangerous Aura [-1]. This power makes Great attacks.
Super-Dangerous Aura [-1]. This power makes Fantastic attacks.
Hyper-Dangerous Aura [-1]. This power attacks at weapon 2.
Mental Aura [-1]. This power inflicts mental stress and is resisted with Discipline.

For timing, I'm thinking that this would activate at the end of the attacked character's turn. I'm currently debating whether or not it should affect characters who run through your zone. An upgrade that makes it affect a wider area might be a good idea.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 02:42:03 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 18, 2011, 03:35:40 AM »
I wouldn't worry about what people think of your snook if I were you.

Anyway, after talking a bit to Belial666 on the Demons! thread I've got a first draft of the other damaging aura power.

Dangerous Aura [-2]
Description: Standing near you is dangerous.
Musts: Nothing in particular.
Effect:
Dangerous Aura. This power makes a Fair physical attack against Endurance at weapon 0 against each character in your zone each turn. EDIT: Please note that this power can be turned off and does not affect the user.
Extra-Dangerous Aura [-1]. This power makes Great attacks.
Super-Dangerous Aura [-1]. This power makes Fantastic attacks.
Hyper-Dangerous Aura [-1]. This power attacks at weapon 2.
Mental Aura [-1]. This power inflicts mental stress and is resisted with Discipline.

For timing, I'm thinking that this would activate at the end of the attacked character's turn. I'm currently debating whether or not it should affect characters who run through your zone. An upgrade that makes it affect a wider area might be a good idea.

I really like this power.

Like many other things in this thread, I am going to steal it.

I like powers that will force PCs to think a different way and not turn every physical fight into a tank and spank.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 20, 2011, 12:56:45 AM »
Why thank you. Does that mean that you think the cost is reasonable?

Anyway, I've got two additions I want to make. The first is to let people, when taking the power, specify that people use whatever skill they use to defend against ranged attacks to defend against this power instead of Endurance. It occurred to me that Endurance doesn't model defence against a cloud of knives very well.

Anyway, here are the area upgrades I mentioned.

Large Aura [-1]. This power affects everyone within one zone.
Vast Aura [-1]. (Requires Large Aura) This power affects everyone within three zones.

Please note that these area upgrades are not optional once purchased. People who want to fight alongside others would be well advised not to take Vast Aura unless their allies are very tough.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 22, 2011, 03:05:34 AM »
Spell-Like Ability [-1]
Description: You have the ability to cast one spell.
Musts: Nothing more than any other power requires.
Effect:
Spell-Like Ability. Design a spell with complexity or power equal to the higher of your Conviction skill and your Lore skill. You may cast that spell as an evocation rote.
Potent Spell-Like Ability [-1]. Add two to the power of one of your spell-like ability. This does not increase the difficulty to control it.

I'm not totally satisfied with this. I'm kinda wondering whether I should let people take Potent Spell-Like Ability more than once.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 03:45:49 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #263 on: April 22, 2011, 03:14:53 AM »
I'm not totally satisfied with this. I'm kinda wondering whether I should let people take Potent Spell-Like Ability more than once.

After a few of these, most folks will opt for Rituals and/or Channeling.

It is a good way to model a one-trick spellcaster, though, and at a discount from regular themed Rituals/Channeling.

Does this cost Mental Stress?

Also, Musts: should be something as simple as "not a Pure Mortal."
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 03:19:21 AM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 22, 2011, 03:17:49 AM »
I propose it not costing mental stress unless -1 Potent magical ability is added to it.

Opinions?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 22, 2011, 03:45:10 AM »
It costs stress. Unlimited 5 shift evocations isn't incredibly powerful, but it's probably too much for 1 refresh even if it does eat up your apex skills.

I think that a cap of (Lore) purchases of Potent Spell-Like Ability would be fine for attacks and rituals. But blocks and multi-aspect thaumaturgy maneuvers would be a nightmare.

Point taken about the musts.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #266 on: April 22, 2011, 03:48:45 AM »
I think that a cap of (Lore) purchases of Potent Spell-Like Ability would be fine for attacks and rituals. But blocks and multi-aspect thaumaturgy maneuvers would be a nightmare.

Would you be able to unpack this bit here? My apologies - I'm simply having trouble following: what specifically would be a nightmare about these things?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 22, 2011, 03:58:51 AM »
Well, for 6 refresh you coould purchase Potent Spell-Like Ability 5 times. With Superb Conviction and Lore plus Great Discipline you could drop 15 shifts of power for one stress and one backlash. Attacks would be fine since you only have 5 accuracy. But if you can get 5 fragile aspects or an 11 shift Orbius-equivalent that lasts for 5 turns, you can end most fights instantly.

You'd have weaknesses, of course. You spent 6 refresh on one trick. But when that trick is useful, you'll just crush your opposition. When it's not, you'll probably die.

That's a problem, in my view. Sure, it's easily solved by not building characters like that. But a custom power has to be balanced against the worst case.

Offline Gatts

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 23, 2011, 03:54:59 PM »
That's a problem, in my view. Sure, it's easily solved by not building characters like that. But a custom power has to be balanced against the worst case.

I couldn't say how balanced that power is, but I'm not sure I agree that a power should be balanced around the worst possible case. People will always find a way to make ridiculous characters, and it is the GM's responsibility to say no. A power, in my opinion, should be balanced in the case it's going to be used. While that's not always obvious, you should at least only balance it against the worst reasonable case.

Sorry for joining in without really discussing the power, but that bothered me a little.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #269 on: April 23, 2011, 04:06:23 PM »
I couldn't say how balanced that power is, but I'm not sure I agree that a power should be balanced around the worst possible case. People will always find a way to make ridiculous characters, and it is the GM's responsibility to say no. A power, in my opinion, should be balanced in the case it's going to be used. While that's not always obvious, you should at least only balance it against the worst reasonable case.

And, ideally, these are powers given to NPCs by the GM.