Author Topic: Custom Power List  (Read 171632 times)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Power List
« Reply #180 on: March 26, 2011, 12:01:16 AM »
Having re-thought Incite Crowd, I no longer feel the need to restrict it from including blocks.  Reworded, above, accordingly.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 28, 2011, 08:55:13 PM »
Vogon Poetry [-1]
Description: Your poetry is so bad that it renders the spirit of all who here it causing extreme agony
Effect: Lethal Poetry Performance When reciting poetry you have written yourself you do mental damage to all in the area including yourself, treat as a performance attack to everyone in the area. 
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 28, 2011, 10:58:26 PM »
Heh. I have to put that onto a character one of these days.

I thought that it was broken until I realized that it affects you too. I now think that it might or might not be okay.

What's the defence skill? And does area mean zone or scene?

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 28, 2011, 11:13:35 PM »
Heh. I have to put that onto a character one of these days.

I thought that it was broken until I realized that it affects you too. I now think that it might or might not be okay.

What's the defence skill? And does area mean zone or scene?

It would be defended against with discipline and the area would probably be a zone.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 11:27:05 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 28, 2011, 11:18:17 PM »
Sorry, is that answer supposed to be a quote or not? Because I don't think I said that.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 28, 2011, 11:26:07 PM »
Ooops
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Viatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 30, 2011, 08:56:26 AM »
Mana Locust (Minor Power; -2)

Detect Magic: Within your zone, you are aware of the presence of effects created through Spellcasting Powers, and can recognize individuals possessing Spellcasting Powers. This does not reveal the nature of any Spellcasting Powers, nor does it pierce veils or similar effects, although it does confirm their existence.

Magic Drain: Whenever an effect created by a Spellcasting Power originates from or targets your zone, its effectiveness is reduced by two shifts.

Mageslayer: Add +1 to attacks made against characters possessing Spellcasting Powers.

Offline Gatts

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 30, 2011, 02:10:19 PM »
Mana Locust (Minor Power; -2)

Detect Magic: Within your zone, you are aware of the presence of effects created through Spellcasting Powers, and can recognize individuals possessing Spellcasting Powers. This does not reveal the nature of any Spellcasting Powers, nor does it pierce veils or similar effects, although it does confirm their existence.

Magic Drain: Whenever an effect created by a Spellcasting Power originates from or targets your zone, its effectiveness is reduced by two shifts.

Mageslayer: Add +1 to attacks made against characters possessing Spellcasting Powers.

Sorry, minor thing but did you mean 'Locus'?

Offline sandchigger

• Conversationalist
  • His Holiness, the Chigg
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 30, 2011, 06:46:38 PM »
A locus would be a hub. A locust would be a voracious devourer. I imagine it wasn't a typo.
I may well be silly, but I am never moronic.

Offline Gatts

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 30, 2011, 06:55:36 PM »
A locus would be a hub. A locust would be a voracious devourer. I imagine it wasn't a typo.

I just wanted to be sure, since getting the two mixed up could get confusing. Although personally I dislike 'locust' as a name for a power, it just doesn't sound very intimidating. 'Mana Devourer' would be cooler, but this isn't very contructive.

As for the power itself, it seems to be a supernatural sense, a superstunt and a stunt. The supernatural sense is fairly broad too. I'd think, from the guidelines, that this is closer to -3 than -2, but I suppose it depends on how much magic is in your game. If you're playing a game full of wizards, and your main enemies are wizards then I really doubt -2 refresh is enough.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 30, 2011, 07:53:20 PM »
As for the power itself, it seems to be a supernatural sense, a superstunt and a stunt. The supernatural sense is fairly broad too.

A fairly broad Supernatural Sense that seems, from the text, intended to be automatically successful, at that.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Viatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 31, 2011, 01:30:31 AM »
Locust is correct, yes.

A fairly broad Supernatural Sense that seems, from the text, intended to be automatically successful, at that.

The way I priced it was based off the Sight, which is also automatic but on touch, and includes the Lore-Investigation trapping and, of course, the Sight itself. I completely forgot about Supernatural Sense, which changes things a bit. Also should have been Vampirism, rather then Minor Power, both thematically and because I'm using this for the Jade Court. Revised below.

Based off Blood Drinker and Emotional Vampire, placed one refresh higher due to lack of a forced frenzy and a positive bonus (Detect Magic; Magic Drain is intended to be in line with Taste of Death and Mageslayer is intended to be in line with Drink Blood and Feeding Touch).

Mana Locust (Vampirism; -2)

Detect Magic: Within your zone, you may attempt to detect the presence of magic (defined as effects created by or individuals possessing Spellcasting Powers) via an Alertness or Investigation roll. Success provides awareness of the presence of magic, and identifies individuals with Spellcasting Powers if you are already aware of them.

Mageslayer: Add +1 to close personal combat attacks made against characters possessing Spellcasting Powers.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 01:45:13 AM by Viatos »

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 31, 2011, 01:39:06 AM »
I assume Magic Drain is reducing shifts of power, is it not?  For a spell that contains multiple factors each requiring their own power allocation, how do you determine which shifts are 'drained'? (say, a maneuver at power 5, applied across 3 zones (for +6 power), and persisting for 4 exchanges (+3 power)...which of the 14 shifts of power are drained?)
Slough

Offline Viatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 31, 2011, 01:42:33 AM »
I assume Magic Drain is reducing shifts of power, is it not?  For a spell that contains multiple factors each requiring their own power allocation, how do you determine which shifts are 'drained'? (say, a maneuver at power 5, applied across 3 zones (for +6 power), and persisting for 4 exchanges (+3 power)...which of the 14 shifts of power are drained?)

Ugh, logistics. Hmm. Very good question. The easy answer would be to leave it up to the caster - the drain happens as soon as they call the power into the area but before they dictate its form, so they shape their spell with two shifts less then they rolled control of.

EDIT: Also clarified Mageslayer to work as part of 'close personal combat' attacks.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 01:45:58 AM by Viatos »

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 31, 2011, 02:06:44 AM »
It occurs to me that 'spellcasting power' should be more clearly defined, just to exclude the possibility of that otherwise vanilla mortal who unwittingly investigated Outsiders (and thus gained Lawbreaker, listed under 'Spellcraft' in the Supernatural Powers section of YS) from being subject to that bonus.
Slough