Author Topic: Custom Power List  (Read 169418 times)

Offline Jinn Master

• Conversationalist
  • Sanity Roll!
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Power List
« Reply #150 on: March 08, 2011, 02:12:49 AM »
Since you aren't actually insubstantial from what I sent you, border 1 would stop you.
That would reduce spirit form by at least 1 refresh.

Add in the mental stuff, another +1 to the rebate as you said. You end with -3, but a much more complicated hodgepodge than just creating a new power.

When you have to reflavor or butcher nearly every power you use to create the desired effect- just make a new one.
Then out spake brave Horatius,
The Captain of the Gate:
"To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his gods...
-The Lay of Horatius

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2011, 03:02:38 AM »
When you have to reflavor or butcher nearly every power you use to create the desired effect- just make a new one.

No, you're just wanting to butcher every single power while not calling it that power to get your desired effect and refresh cost.

Oh, and your exploding thing, just do a Death Curse when you get taken out. You obviously have spellcasting (otherwise the bonus to Air Magic is pointless), so you might as well do it that way. There is no reason to write in a automatic death effect into this.
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Jinn Master

• Conversationalist
  • Sanity Roll!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 08, 2011, 03:12:08 AM »
That's what pretty much every custom power does, Mal. You decide what you need, and if you can't do exactly that with the powers as given, and it doesn't break the game, make a power for it.

By restricting yourself solely to what is in the book you will be limiting yourself a very large amount. This game encourages player/gm creation of nearly everything- roll with it.

You don't have to define everything according to what is already in the book. RPG's are about creativity and story- not who can jimmy the rules the best to get them to do what they want.

If I can't convince you, fine. I don't need to. I'm sure someone will appreciate having the option that isn't quite so stodgy.

I'm not done with the powers, but I'm certainly done arguing about it, since there is absolutely no reason not to make it a new power. Even if it was completely redundant to another one- which it is not.
Then out spake brave Horatius,
The Captain of the Gate:
"To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his gods...
-The Lay of Horatius

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 10, 2011, 07:18:32 AM »
Possess Corpse [-2]
Description: You are a spiritual entity, and lack a body, though that does not mean that you can't acquire one (slightly used). You have learned to possess a corpse, allowing you to make use of the former owners skills and abilities.
Musts: You must have a high concept that reflects your predilection for possessing corpses, and you must have a way to become insubstantial (and attach this power to it).
Effect:
Inhabit Corpse. When you inhabit a corpse you gain a limited form of the Mimic Ability power (restricted to what the corpse has to offer). You have a number of form points equal to the amount of refresh you have invested in Possess Corpse and the method by which you become insubstantial in order to Inhabit the body.
Living Dead. The bodies you inhabit are still dead. While Inhabiting a Corpse you gain access to the Living Dead power.
Advanced Inhabitation [-Varies]. You have expanded your ability to take advantage of the corpses you inhabit. Refresh invested in this upgrade is accounted towards your total mimic points as per the Inhabit Corpse effect (see above).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 03:13:03 AM by KOFFEYKID »

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 10, 2011, 09:16:22 PM »
I'd recommend Living Dead be an 'upgrade', if not simply listing Human Guise as an Option, as I can easily enough conceive of such a spirit WITHOUT that capability
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 13, 2011, 01:08:59 AM »
I like Possess Corpse, although I'm not exactly sure how it works. Anyway, I've got two powers to add to the list. The first is a stunt that crossed the line into power-dom, while the other is an old idea that I just never got around to writing up.

Holy Weaponry [-1]
Description: Your sacred power extends beyond your body to envelop the weapons you wield.
Musts: You must have the Holy Touch power in order to purchase this one.
Effect:
Holy Weaponry. You may apply the effects of Holy Touch to weapons that you wield.

I'm not going to bother with a full writeup of the second power right now. It's called Elemental Command, and it's just Channeling with the ability to specialize without regard for the pyramid instead of focus slots. It's intended for characters that control elements without using magic and for really strong FPs.

If these are broken, then I need to know. Because I've already used the first, and I intend to use the second soonish.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 13, 2011, 08:44:37 PM »
These where powers I was thinking about for a reapers scythe for a scion of Death (disc world style)  

-2 Immaterial Edge (+2 weapons rating, this blade ignores the first 2 points of armour and also counts as the catch for ghosts and other disembodied spirits.)

-0 Manifested Blade (As the blade is not truly of the mortal world keeping it in this world requires mental effort, summoning the item for a scene requires a point of mental stress at the end of the scene unless another point of stress is taken the item will disappear until summoned again.)

-2 Spiritual Weapon ( As a weapon designed to sever the soul from the body its blows do more than physical harm, the blade can cause mental stress instead physical stress, anyone taken out this way will die as their soul is separated from their body leaving no signs of physical harm.)

The last power is more questionable, I didn't know how to properly model spiritual damage done to someone’s core being other than through mental stress.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 04:33:34 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 13, 2011, 09:37:55 PM »
I'd recommend amending Spiritual Weapon to remove the weapon rating when the scythe is used to deal mental stress
Mental stress is generally considered a more powerful form of attack than physical stress, as it is less commonly resisted (there's no [X] Toughness / Recovery for mental stress and consequences, for instance)
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Gatts

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 13, 2011, 09:43:20 PM »
I'd recommend amending Spiritual Weapon to remove the weapon rating when the scythe is used to deal mental stress
Mental stress is generally considered a more powerful form of attack than physical stress, as it is less commonly resisted (there's no [X] Toughness / Recovery for mental stress and consequences, for instance)

I'm not so sure, compare it to Incite Emotion. He's spending two refresh here, and he still has to attack and hit them. It's much less subtle and less easy to use than that.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 13, 2011, 09:58:31 PM »

I thought about making spiritual weapon a -1 refresh power and removing the weapons rating but thought that for a reapers scythe a 0 weapons rating attack was just not lethal enough. So I decided that for a -2 refresh keeping the weapons rating of the spiritual weapon would not be too broken as long as the strength powers do not affect the mental attack of the scythe.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 10:10:41 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 13, 2011, 10:31:47 PM »
I'm not so sure, compare it to Incite Emotion. He's spending two refresh here, and he still has to attack and hit them. It's much less subtle and less easy to use than that.

Of course, it'd be rather difficult to justify KILLING the target with just Incite Emotion, whereas this power does so explicitly
Slough

Offline Gatts

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 13, 2011, 11:11:44 PM »
Of course, it'd be rather difficult to justify KILLING the target with just Incite Emotion, whereas this power does so explicitly

Well, he can't make maneouvres with it, and it costs an extra point of refresh. I don't think the actual effect of 'taken out' matters that much. Someone who incited 'despair' as a +2 weapon could certainly drive someone to suicide.

The limitations and the cost balance it with the rest of the system, as far as I can tell.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 14, 2011, 03:09:05 AM »
Immaterial Edge looks good, Manifested Item looks weird but generally harmless.

Spiritual Weapon makes me nervous. The scythe in question here is probably weapon 5, which makes it downright lethal. But I don't feel confident calling it overpowered.

My advice is to playtest the heck out of this.

PS: Am I to assume that the powers I posted are reasonable?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 14, 2011, 03:29:03 AM »
Immaterial Edge looks good, Manifested Item looks weird but generally harmless.

Spiritual Weapon makes me nervous. The scythe in question here is probably weapon 5, which makes it downright lethal. But I don't feel confident calling it overpowered.

My advice is to playtest the heck out of this.

PS: Am I to assume that the powers I posted are reasonable?

Holy Weapon looks fine
the special version of Channeling is...well, it's probably not worth an extra -1, but it IS distinctly more powerful than the normal version, as foci can be taken away, but specializations cannot
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 14, 2011, 03:35:21 AM »
Well, you don't actually get free specializations with Elemental Command. So without Refinement, it's worse than Channeling in every way.

I'm mostly worried about people taking Elemental Command and the max number of Refinements. Is it more broken than someone doing the same with Channeling or Evocation? I'm not sure.