Author Topic: Custom Power List  (Read 172208 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Power List
« Reply #810 on: November 15, 2012, 11:50:57 PM »
Is this an indirect criticism of Might Over Magic?

Because if so I'd like to hear more.

Not really its is similar but the main part of the power was the ability to destroy a spell before it hurts your allies. It was meant for modelling anti-magic fields, spell absorbing swords (when changed to a weapon skill) and a guy from an anime whose touch destroys magic.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 01:46:14 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: November 18, 2012, 06:59:42 AM »
Hm, okay. I'm tempted to merge them for the list, but I'm not sure it's gonna be possible.

That aside, it looks pretty balanced to me.

PS: Is the anime in question A Certain Scientific Railgun, by any chance?

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: November 18, 2012, 01:09:36 PM »
Hm, okay. I'm tempted to merge them for the list, but I'm not sure it's gonna be possible.

That aside, it looks pretty balanced to me.

PS: Is the anime in question A Certain Scientific Railgun, by any chance?

Yes.
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: January 03, 2013, 02:54:26 AM »
Here's an oldie that for some reason never ended up on this thread.

Link to origin.

Puppeteer [-3]
Description: The most terrifying ability of the Golden Strings is the ability to directly take control of victims, moving them around like puppets as long as the bearer plays. In the past this has been used for everything from forcing people to commit crimes to making people work in a factory past the point of exhaustion. It is pure physical control and the victim knows they are not in control of themselves. This makes it no less terrifying, but ironically makes it cause (very slightly) less lasting psychological harm than true mind control.
Skills Affected: Performance
Effects:
Master of Puppets: You're able to do maneuvers at +2 to your roll (using Performance) to place a temporary aspect of control on characters (most often "Puppet on Golden Strings"), so long as you continue playing the instrument strung with the Golden Strings. The victim defends with his Discipline or Might. You can also prevent the victim from taking other actions as well if you do this as a block instead of a maneuver, or use this to establish a grapple. This power can be used as a spray, at a range of up to one zone away, or both. In some circumstances it may work up to two zones, provided the music clearly carries that far.
Pulling Your Strings: Whenever you maintain a grapple with this power-in addition to the normal options for a grapple-you can force the subject to take a single physical action of your choice (fire a gun, swing a knife, etc). If you succeed at the grapple roll, use the Effect of your roll (if any) as the skill bonus for any rolls necessary for the victim's action. If you choose instead to move the victim, you do not have to move with them. If you choose to inflict a hit to the target, you can choose for it to deal mental or physical stress.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: January 07, 2013, 08:51:27 PM »
Fate's Equalizer (-varies)
Fate has empowered you to fight things far greater than yourself.  When facing opponents more powerful than yourself (more refresh spent on powers) add the difference in your refresh to any roll interacting with them (up to the max of +1 for every refresh you have spent in this power).
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: January 07, 2013, 09:38:38 PM »
That Power looks extremely problematic to me.

Offline cowardlylion

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: September 01, 2013, 10:49:45 PM »
Power Nullification [-x]
Description: You have the ability to deny your enemies access to their magical powers, you can make an opposed discipline roll against anyone in the same zone as you and if they fail the roll they lose access to X (amount of refresh spent) in powers for the rest of the scene.

Upgrades
Range (-1) This power can effect anyone within your line of sight.
Area effect (-2) This power effects everyone within a zone radius   

Skills Affected: All

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: September 02, 2013, 04:35:04 AM »
Hm.

I think this might be a good start, but there are some bits that need clarification.

For instance, who chooses which Powers get lost? That seems important.

And can you use this Power repeatedly on someone?

And just to be clear, using this does take an action, right?

PS: Is this inspired by the Hatchet Face discussion over on the Worm thread?

Offline cowardlylion

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: September 02, 2013, 07:55:58 AM »
Hm.

I think this might be a good start, but there are some bits that need clarification.

For instance, who chooses which Powers get lost? That seems important.

And can you use this Power repeatedly on someone?

And just to be clear, using this does take an action, right?

PS: Is this inspired by the Hatchet Face discussion over on the Worm thread?

The person affected by the power get's to choose which powers they lose.

Using the power definitely takes an action.

The power can be used multiple times but the person being affected gains a +1 bonus to resist for each time the power has been used on them that scene (including any failed attempts).

Yes I saw the worms discussion and thought I would have a go at making an appropriate power.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: September 03, 2013, 06:55:16 AM »
Hm, okay. Mind if I revise the Power to make all of that clear?

For what it's worth, though, I don't think this works for Hatchet Face. Hatchet Face doesn't actively use his Power, it just happens to anyone who gets close.

Offline cowardlylion

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: September 03, 2013, 09:31:36 AM »
Hm, okay. Mind if I revise the Power to make all of that clear?

I don't mind if you revise the power. 

For what it's worth, though, I don't think this works for Hatchet Face. Hatchet Face doesn't actively use his Power, it just happens to anyone who gets close.

In that case then creating a portable threshold effect would be the best way to achieve the same effect within the DFRPG rules.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: September 04, 2013, 12:52:33 AM »
PHASING [-?]
You can phase through walls and other physical barriers, but thresholds block your movement.
Skills Affected: Athletics.
Benefits: Walk Through Walls. You ignore all physical zone borders to your movement, but thresholds act as zone borders to you.

What should this cost?

(I came up with this for an Outsider, btw...)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: September 04, 2013, 01:15:14 AM »
In that case then creating a portable threshold effect would be the best way to achieve the same effect within the DFRPG rules.

And how would that work, exactly?

Anyway, here's the revision. It's not really any different from what you wrote, it's just reformatted and clarified.

POWER NULLIFICATION [-varies]
Description: You have the ability to deny your enemies access to their magical powers.
Musts: You must decide what the base Refresh cost of this Power is before any upgrades.
Skills Affected: Discipline
Effects:
Power Nullification. As an action, you may attempt to nullify the Powers on any character in your zone. Make an opposed Discipline roll; if you win, your target must choose Powers of theirs with a total Refresh cost equal to the base Refresh cost of this Power. Those Powers stop working for the rest of the scene.
Diminishing Returns. If you use this Power multiple times against a single character in the same scene, they get a +1 bonus to their second defence roll and a +2 bonus to their third and so on.
At Range [-1]. You may use this Power against any character within your line of sight.
Area Effect [-2]. You may target an entire zone with this Power, draining the Powers of everyone in the zone except yourself. If you have the At Range upgrade you can target any zone in your line of sight, if not you must target your own zone.

Three more questions.

1. How does this interact with rebate Powers like The Catch? If you have Supernatural Toughness with a Catch of cold iron, does ditching Supernatural Toughness count as losing 4 Refresh or 1?
2. How does this work on someone who can't lose the specified amount of Powers? If you have Mythic Strength and no other Powers, what happens when I drain 3 Refresh of Powers from you?
3. What happens on a tied roll?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: September 04, 2013, 01:16:24 AM »
PHASING [-?]
You can phase through walls and other physical barriers, but thresholds block your movement.
Skills Affected: Athletics.
Benefits: Walk Through Walls. You ignore all physical zone borders to your movement, but thresholds act as zone borders to you.

What should this cost?

(I came up with this for an Outsider, btw...)

Check out Teleportation. It's on the master list, and it's being discussed in the other Power thread right now. It costs 2 Refresh before upgrades.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: September 04, 2013, 04:31:07 AM »
Check out Teleportation. It's on the master list, and it's being discussed in the other Power thread right now. It costs 2 Refresh before upgrades.
I've seen it, but I don't think this does the same thing. This isn't an "use-activated" power, but a permanent change to your state of being, more like Spirit Form.