Author Topic: Custom Power List  (Read 172359 times)

Offline JayTee

• Posty McPostington
  • Reality is only as boring as you make it
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Power List
« Reply #510 on: September 23, 2011, 02:00:47 AM »
Perhaps if I remove the ability to use the power more than once? Only one Oath per customer?

EDIT: What I'm mainly trying to go for is a way to use the concept of magically bound oaths in a more. . . involved sense. I like the idea of subtler, more old school magic that you see a lot in fairy tales, fables and folklore, and this is one of my attempts to bring it in to the game.

That said, if its unworkable I'll scrap the idea and try to come up with something else, but thanks for the feedback regardless!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 02:09:58 AM by JayTee »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 23, 2011, 04:28:05 AM »
Hm.

Eh.

This isn't great, I'm afraid.

The harmful oath thing is bad for five reasons:

a) it messes someone up and allows no defence
b) -1 to everything is damn harsh
c) the "out" is poorly defined and looks suspiciously like railroading being done in-character
d) it has nothing to do with oaths
e) a power that only works subject to player and GM approval isn't so much a power as it is a plot device

The beneficial parts are not so bad, but they are kinda lame and very likely to be powergamed terribly even if the players aren't trying to do so.

I suggest making this more like Righteousness. Swear an oath, spend a fate point, your Conviction complements everything in pursuit of that oath for a while.

Also, the consequences of breaking an oath can be done with something like sponsor debt. Maybe instead of spending a FP, you could take a debt.

Offline JayTee

• Posty McPostington
  • Reality is only as boring as you make it
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 24, 2011, 09:33:05 PM »
Well, after doing some thinking it seemed to me alternate methods of making Geis was too similar to Righteousness to stand out on its own, so I decided to scrap the power. Thanks for the feedback!

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 24, 2011, 09:53:01 PM »
Chaos Magic / The blessing of the Un-Named
Drawing on the Power of the Nameless God of Chaos you are able to cast spells that fit into its essential nature, chaos, destruction, madness and the bending of reality. Making uses of it might cause ripples in the very nature of causality which may have many manifold effects. (some sort of hexing effect possibly effecting npc's).
Costs:4 refresh and some connection to chaos are needed to have this power. 
Benefits: Gain a +1 to control and Complexity on spells of that twist somethings nature.
In addition, Chaos magic may be used as an element for evocation, allowing evocation spell effects that encourage chaos, madness and the bending of reality.This includes the ability to produce effects along the lines of entropomancy (page 285), Psychomancy (page 286) and Diabolism (page 284) with evocation's speed and methods.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 10:02:30 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 24, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
Bit of a Work in Progress that I would like some feedback on, particularly in regards to pricing.

GEIS [-?]
You have a touch of the Faire in your blood, not enough to render you a full Changeling, but enough to give your words have a much more significant impact.
[...]

I was thinking about how to make this work. I think "Blessing of the Fey" is a bit much, because that would mean giving some of your power, which you don't actually have, to someone else. Just seems weird. It should remain between you and the one you give/take the oath from. That said:

Geis [-1]
An Oath given is an Oath kept: Instead of taking a mild consequence in social combat, you may take an aspect, representing an oath sworn to that person instead. You may never have more than one of these aspects at any given time, so you would have to fulfil your oath before making a new one. The aspect is permanent, until you have fulfilled your oath or reconciled in another way.

I'll take your word for it: If an opponent is taken out in social conflict from your attack, you can place an aspect on him that represents an oath given to you. You may invoke it to enforce that oath or make the target reconcile in some other way. You may never have more than one person bound to you like that.

The new aspects would come with a free tag (since it is new), and you could use it whenever you are doing something concerning the oath. Likewise, it may be compelled whenever you are trying to act against it, so you have another source for a few fate points. I think an approach like that would be better suited than a flat out bonus to rolls. I'm not sure if my approach is the best, but Righteousness is probably not the power to copy for what you are trying to do.

For I'll take your word for it, I thought about making it identical to An Oath given is an Oath kept, so you could give an oath aspect instead of inflicting a consequence, but the way above should be better.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 25, 2011, 01:44:25 AM »
@JayTee:

You're welcome.

@ways and means:

Looks good, although it should be made clear whether the control bonus applies to evocation.

@Haru:

Isn't this sort of thing already possible without any powers at all?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 25, 2011, 01:47:03 AM »
That is... a good point. Never mind then  :o
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 28, 2011, 11:26:58 PM »
I need help putting a power together.

I want to simply alter Incite Emotion to do the following: heighten pre existing emotions only.  (Essentially it could still put maneuvers on people, but it could only be a heightened version of whatever already existed.)  Such a power existed in old world of darkness for some vampires.  It was really usefu if used cleverly.

+1 Refresh to incite emotion (only incites pre-existing emotions)?

New power?

How should this work?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 29, 2011, 12:35:47 AM »
Maybe just use normal Incite Emotion, and replace the ability to incite a single emotion with the ability to incite any emotion that is already present.

On one hand, you have a greater variety of effects. On the other, you don't get to choose which one you have access to at any given time.

A rebate would be appropriate if you could only incite one emotion and it had to be partially there already.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 29, 2011, 04:16:30 PM »
I was worried it would offer too much variety if it just replaced the normal function on incite emotion.  I guess I'm trying to stress the downside of not being able to choose the emotion incited.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: September 29, 2011, 06:59:01 PM »
Eh. It might not be exactly as powerful as standard Incite Emotion, but I doubt the difference would be enough to be worth worrying about.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 29, 2011, 11:41:43 PM »
So +0 alteration then?  Just for the sake of statting it.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 30, 2011, 02:38:18 AM »
Is this overpowered?

Brand of St. Giles (-1)
 +1 to discipline for hunger defense
 Add two boxes to your hunger stress track.

The Fellowship of St. Giles offers a home to all the freaks and outcasts. Unfortunately the magic of their Tattoo's only work because of the interplay between the "soul" and the force the RCI draw power from. This power was developed to help its other members to control their unnatural hungers and focus on the "Mission".

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 30, 2011, 03:14:46 AM »
It's underpowered, actually. It just mitigates the effects of a disadvantage that costs the same amount as it. For the same price, you could just not take Feeding Dependency.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 30, 2011, 04:25:47 AM »
 Feeding dependency is a must for the character template.
In case the gm won't go for just making the hunger an aspect, can you suggest a more reasonably powered alternative?