Author Topic: two unrelated questions (Wereform and nevernever)  (Read 2066 times)

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
two unrelated questions (Wereform and nevernever)
« on: July 22, 2010, 12:01:56 AM »
1. So its obvious (and stated) that mental stats cannot be increased when shapeshifting into beast form (they can't after all suddenly know Shakespeare because they turned into a dog!) but how about a decrease? it would fit with Bob's comment in the marginalia. Especially cause the character in question is a were-rat (diminuitive size.)

2. What happens when you close a circle in the Never-Never? came up in my last game and I wasn't sure how it would work...

Offline Jaroslav

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: two unrelated questions (Wereform and nevernever)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 12:19:53 AM »
1. Your right stats can decrease when you change form. I'm pretty sure the book say that explicitly somewhere but I don't remember where.

2. I think it would be just like closing a circle in the real world. But it's really the GM's call.
Irony is lost on the tired; if your not laughing, go take a nap.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 12:22:56 AM »
What Jaroslav said. Check specific stat-blocks for notes on lowered stats.

Offline Morgan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 12:31:15 AM »
1. So its obvious (and stated) that mental stats cannot be increased when shapeshifting into beast form (they can't after all suddenly know Shakespeare because they turned into a dog!) but how about a decrease? it would fit with Bob's comment in the marginalia. Especially cause the character in question is a were-rat (diminuitive size.)

Yep in fact this is the best way to give your wereanimal form some new skills or skill bump, is a wolf really going to need a Great +4 Scholarship? Unless you're maybe a wereparrot that high Rapport is probably going to waste as an animal. Switch those skills out for skills like Fists, Athletics, Endurance, Might, Alertness, and Survival, and get your beast on. The way the whole Skill Shuffle part Beast Change power works is to swap out the character's useful and high human skills for ones that are more useful and should be higher in animal form.

2. What happens when you close a circle in the Never-Never? came up in my last game and I wasn't sure how it would work...

Do you mean when you draw a magic circle in the Nevernever, or closing a portal to the Nevernever? I would say that a Wizard's magic circle works the same in the Nevernever as it does on earth. Unless there is some scene Aspect that might be compelled to make this not the case, say trying to protect yourself with a circle in some powerful spirit's Demesne, and it uses the Aspect of "My Power Rules Here!" to break the circle or to keep it from being closed in the first place.

[/quote]

Offline Doc Nova

• Conversationalist
  • Who needs a cab?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 01:38:08 AM »
Wereparrot...love it.

Just throwing in my own confirmation...yes, "smarts"-related stats can go down when in beastie form, and up is either right out or only with really good justification.

As for circles and such, as stated, unless there's a scene aspect that might state otherwise, I'd rule it working like it would on mundane ol' Terra, although I might also rule some of the Nevernever denizens having a boosted strength on their home turf against a pesky human wizard's magic circle...

Offline GruffAndTumble

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 03:09:05 AM »
While in most cases, only physical Skills can be increased, I did make one character who gained Performance points when he shifted--he was a mortal kidnapped by fae and made to perform as a dancing bear in a circus in the Nevernever.

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 06:43:14 AM »
While reading this thread, a question popped into my mind.

So if someone changes size, he stores his extra mass in the Nevernever. How does that look when the Weresquirrel is in the Nevernever?

Offline Morgan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 06:55:45 AM »
Biggest Damned Squirrel I Ever Saw!  ;D

Or maybe he keeps the rest of his mass in a little pocket of Nevernever that is somewhere else in the Nevernever.

Also glad you liked the Wereparrot Doc, I'm also really considering a new character with the High Concept: Loudmouth Wereparrot.

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 09:21:10 AM »
Also glad you liked the Wereparrot Doc, I'm also really considering a new character with the High Concept: Loudmouth Wereparrot.

And his sidekick, Were-kitten! Her empathy and rapport stats jump through the roof and she gets [-1] Incite Emotion 'Oh my god it's so cute!'

Offline Doc Nova

• Conversationalist
  • Who needs a cab?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 12:29:55 PM »
"Polly wants a machinegun!" comes to mind...