Author Topic: Crazy Tech  (Read 1548 times)

Offline Tzarii

• Conversationalist
  • Always out front yet behind the scenes....
    • View Profile
Crazy Tech
« on: July 20, 2010, 06:31:05 PM »
After seeing the EMP Hardening thread I figured I would bring up mad scientist levels of possible tech that could theoretically work, then again I doubt anyone would use it. I will post more on this later, as I am at work now. I will just put basic stuff that has exsisted before WWII or at the time of for now and eleborate on stuff that could also be wizard proof theoretically. The first item is probably the most popular, the Rail Gun.  Feel free to add other crazy tech. That being said if there are some errors in my rail gun please correct me I want to be as accurate as possible.

Rail Gun: Born on April Fools day in 1919 (that was the day it was submited to the US patent office) the Rail gun is quickly becoming the favorite weapon of steam/diesel punk fans and would be a nightmare if an enterprising young wizard/ practicioner got hold of it  and doom if a Fae queen got a hold of it..

How it works:
The essential design of a rail gun has not changed since the inception however powering the machine has always been a problem.  The Solution?  Magic.  Rather force rings or force devices like Harry's ring and something to transfer that to the electrical power to charge the rail gun (although causing lightning to constantly hit something that absorbs energy would probably work just as well.) Daily walks and activity charges even on a mass scale isn't exactly the way to go here.  Rather you need to charge them supersonically or something else  to cause insane amounts of charge.  This can be done by instead making these objects into nuts and bolts to moving parts on a car or into tips for a whip or tips of a helicopter both of which break the sound barrier.  (And a helicopter quite frequently.)  How you would do this would be probably up to the story teller to see if it's feasible (Or if the story teller is using it as a Macguffin.) These objects should be designed to fit together like a puzzle and function as a force battery to actully charge up the rails creating the magnetic field (Here is a nifty diagram from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Railgun-1.svg) Depending on the weight of the object (which will likely be smaller than a mail box but realitively dense) the projectile can go from mach 3 to theoretically around mach 10. 

Problems:    A rail gun shoots things at insane speeds which cause the gun itself to easily wear out.  Then again there is the whole thing about the power of the gun causing plasma to fire around the projectile.  Essentially that projectile is going fast, and you do not want to be near that gun when it goes off.  Also when it goes off, everything is going to come down on that location from the local cops, to some 3 & 4 letter agencies (who would also probably like to see your designs) and probably every supernatural organization.  This gets even more complicated with the size of the rail gun, which is quite big.  So unless your dealing with something horrifyingly powerful it is not going to be worth making one.  Almost forgot to mention the problems presented with an object traveling near other objects at speeds of Mach 3.5+, which are of course the matter of sonic booms and waves destroying all sorts of things.  Collateral damage would be insane, and with the speed it's traveling its going to take a long time before it hits the ground even if it hits a target (Once it gets over Mach 7 I could safely say that it would probably go through anything including a tank and killing everything inside from the speed.) 

Next up when I get on next break The Hwatcha (Unless of course someone wants to go ahead and do it.)
I am Intell.  I am powered by coffee, rage and despair.  But mostly the first two.

FutureGameDesigner

Re: Crazy Tech
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 03:56:54 AM »
Since you mentioned the wear and tear...I'm assuming you mean an actual "rail" gun and not the coilgun with which it is often confused.

I personally prefer coilguns myself though.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 09:13:13 AM »
I'm a bit confused. Probably I have understood something wrong again. While I can get behind the concept of the rail gun (witch is pretty awesome) I cannot see why anybody would power it with magic.

Rule wise it would have to be an enchanted item or a set of enchanted items that combine to form the gun. The gun will practically always be shot to inflict HUGE damage and to possibly kill. As it is powered by magic the gunman aka the creator of the items will get a lawbreaker for violating the first law by killing with magic. As the gun isn't exactly subtle or sneaky he will get a not so friendly visit by his friendly neighborhood warden who will come with his shiny sword to collect heads. The mortal authorities are the least the gunman has to worry about.

A wizard would simply not build such a thing. Not ever. It is far more easy to channel the power directly through some sort of focus or not. Why go through the middle man of a rail gun design when you can produce columns of flame or lightning, why bother.

As a theoretical construct it's really cool though :D
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline theDwarf

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 09:55:54 PM »
I have a character who is looking to run a high-tech character.  I am running a 1930's-1950's era campaign and am looking into ideas on how to structure it.

Right now he is running around in a clockwork car.  More gadgets later.
-D.M.Zwerg
Mathematician

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 10:47:51 PM »
Doomsday Device
This device has an array of no less than twenty high-power, single-use magical force blasters arranged on the surface of a fist-sized sphere and turned inwards. (each blaster is a single-use magic item. I.e. a potion)
The sphere itself is a thin sheet of lead, covering four pounds of non-depleted fission material.
When triggered all at once, the force blasters each impart inwards telekinetic force comparable to a small bomb. The pressure crushes the central sphere to half the size of a pack of cigarettes, forcing the fission material into critical stage and initiating a nuclear explosion...

Thankfully, only the strongest alchemists could create such a device and only the most wealthy could buy the materials in the black market.

Offline MWKilduff

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 01:32:22 AM »
How about something simple.  T-Stoff and C-Stoff are chemicals that when mixed burst into flame.  OK, so a Supersoaker that mixes the chemicals on the outside are just a perfect undercover and disposable flame thrower!  Yea portable immolation!  Thanks to the Germans for things I can make in my basement that burn everything.  Fire purifies!
A wink, a smile, and a whole lot more!