Author Topic: The Book of Don't  (Read 58794 times)

Offline Don

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: The Book of Don't
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2012, 02:26:44 PM »
Ahh..  More self-satisfied smugness from Neil Gaiman.  Someone should give him a hug.  I think he needs one.
Don is the Prince of Anarchy  :P

Please excuse my grammar, and speling.

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2012, 04:52:20 PM »
I would but the thought of what he may be carrying in his pockets scares me.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2012, 07:46:08 PM »
And I am too shy. When I saw him I was like a school girl with her teen idol.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2012, 12:33:32 AM »
Ahh..  More self-satisfied smugness from Neil Gaiman.  Someone should give him a hug.  I think he needs one.

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html

If memory serves, Gaiman was responding to a fan who was telling George R. Martin how to do his job.  In this case, it was the "Why isn't he writing my next book instead of doing Life Stuff?", but the concept carries over beyond Deadline Fussing to those who think Jim should be writing in this or that certain fashion.  Sometimes it's "The author should oughta have to write it the way I think it'd be more fun!" or "The author is portraying this or that idea/group/belief system/religion in a fashion that I personally find to be too positive/too negative/too whatever, so he needs to write right it better how I like it!."  And there's some who sincerely believe that Jim has an obligation to push their personal preferred socio-political agenda in his books, or who get all offended when think they spot a socio-political message which they simply don't approve of.

I don't know Jim, if I ever hit is radar it would likety not be him saying "oh, yeah, he was the guy dressed like Steed at ComicCon, wasn't he?  If Steed really let himself go, I mean."  But this is Jim's house, so when the Founder of the Feast says "I'm not writing socio-political stuff, I'm just telling a story", I'm happy to take him at his word.  As for moralistic messages, the closest thing to a moralistic message I've spotted in the Dresden Files is "Don't be a dick." 

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2012, 08:11:55 AM »
As for moralistic messages, the closest thing to a moralistic message I've spotted in the Dresden Files is "Don't be a dick."

Yup, although I'd say 'don't play with fire' has to be up there too.

Offline mdodd

• Seriously?
  • OH, IT'S HIM. @paceace1094
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2012, 08:28:30 AM »
The good thing about the JB site is that in general people are here because they love the books, so I don't know why some people decide to take it upon themselves to "advise" Jim how to make his books better after 13 DF books plus the six Codex Alera books. I you don't like it get off the train or better still go on Gallifrey Base where most of the contributors seem to attack Moffatt and Davies with torches and pitchforks.
One year's forum service, nearly two
--------------------------------------------------------
“And the people next door oppress me all night long. I tell them, I work all day, a man's got to have some time to learn to play the tuba. ― Terry Pratchett.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2012, 02:17:57 PM »
Overall, the community's pretty much the most positive one I've encountered, anywhere.  The out and out trolls have been blessedly few and far between.  It's just been the last couple years where we've had an occasional issue where someone who sincerely loves the books was getting upset because they felt Jim was wronging them by not writing about some personal cause of theirs, or by depicting something they don't like "too positively." 

Overall, I'd say this is the most friendly and tolerant fan base I've seen, and I think a great deal of that is due to Jim's decision to keep his works apolitical.

Offline whingnut

• Conversationalist
  • @RobJDurand
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2012, 10:32:40 PM »
Overall, the community's pretty much the most positive one I've encountered, anywhere.  The out and out trolls have been blessedly few and far between.  It's just been the last couple years where we've had an occasional issue where someone who sincerely loves the books was getting upset because they felt Jim was wronging them by not writing about some personal cause of theirs, or by depicting something they don't like "too positively." 

Overall, I'd say this is the most friendly and tolerant fan base I've seen, and I think a great deal of that is due to Jim's decision to keep his works apolitical.

I would add that a lot of it has to do with the fact that Jim is so accessible. He stays away from the net 90% of the time, true, but at an event he will gladly answer questions about why he did "X". Add also the fact he is just a really good guy, I have been blessed(yes BLESSED) to spend time with both he and Shannon in a laid back atmosphere and what you see IS what you get.
"Did not see some of it coming AT ALL--crazy ramifications for Dresdenverse" - Anne Sowards 08/03/12 on Twitter regarding Cold Days

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2013, 07:02:26 PM »
Will there ever be a sequel to The Book of Don't?  As President of The Book of Don't Fan Club, I must say we have been most patient with the wait.   :)  We have beat The Book of Don't perfect casting thread to death (Brad Pitt as our handsome protagonist is winning so far.)  Any projections?
~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Rest well Md.  You are dearly missed.

Offline raljamcar

• Posty McPostington
  • "United we Stand, Divided we Fall"
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2013, 06:12:59 AM »
Clearly the only advice Jim needs is to keep on keeping on. Or just do it. Or some other myriad of annoyingly vague things that accumulate to him being told not to stop.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.
- George Orwell

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2013, 01:54:57 PM »
Clearly the only advice Jim needs is to keep on keeping on. Or just do it. Or some other myriad of annoyingly vague things that accumulate to him being told not to stop.

He doesn't even need that. In fact, telling him that is counterproductive; after hundreds of people have told you to do a thing, even if it's a good idea, it gets really old. Besides, it's pretty much a given that he already knows it.

In short, if you feel the need to tell him to do something, don't. Doesn't matter how well-intentioned the advice is; I can guarantee you he's heard it over and over and over and over and over... you get the picture. If you just have to tell him something, say how much you've enjoyed reading his stuff. That's good enough, and there's no way it can come across wrong or pushy or passive-aggressive.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.