Author Topic: Making an Item of Power: Mjolnir (more or less)  (Read 3036 times)

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Making an Item of Power: Mjolnir (more or less)
« on: July 12, 2010, 10:19:21 PM »
I had a recent thread where I talked about how I'm making a Son of Thor as my character for an upcoming campaign.  I'm leaning towards him having a magic hammer that's an Item of Power.  As part of going towards that, I thought it would be fun to try to stat out Mjolnir.

Description:  Mjolnir is the mythic hammer wielding by the God Thor, forged by the dwarven brothers Sindri and Brokkr.  It is said to be capable of leveling mountains.
Skills Affected: Weapons?
Effects:
  • Giant Slayer:*  Against anything that naturally possesses the Hulking Size attribute (or innanimate objects the size of a large car or larger), attacks with Mjolnir ignore all defensive abilities (such as Toughness) and ignore mundane armor.
    It's a Hammer:  Mjolnir is a heavy hammer made of steel (iron).  It acts as a weapon 3.
  • Shortened Shaft:**  Loki in the guise of a fly bit Brokkr when he was blowing on the forge while Mjolnir was being forged.  Because of this the shaft is too short to comfortable wield in two hands.  To wield this weapon in combat enhanced strength is required (lift 7 or better).
  • Seeming:**  The owner of Mjolnir can make the weapon appear as any sort of hammer from 4" in size to its full size (no larger), this is more than just an illusion and allows the hammer to be placed in a pocket or other small space.  As soon as the weapon is wielded in combat, however, it returns to its normal form (or before if the owner so desires).
  • Never far from reach:** Mjolnir can be thrown as a weapon up to 2 zones away (instead of the standard 1).  Upon striking or missing, it returns to its owner's hand immediately.

*My attempt at giving it some power of giants, which seems appropriate, as well as its "mountain destroying" capability.
**This stuff might seem odd, but it is basically straight from lore.  I took some liberties with Seeming since from what I understand Mjolnir could only be shrunk, but I think changing how it appears adds a nice element for role-playing and doesn't upset anything.

I think the actual Mjolnir would need a bit more oomph, but overall I think that's a good starting point.  What do people think the refresh cost of this would be?  -1 with the standard deduction of +2 included?  Or does the potential property-damage aspect of it warrant a higher value? (I'm not sure it is a big deal, myself)  -- (I was thinking Giant Destroyer at -2, Seeming at 0, Shortened Shaft at 0, and Never Far From Reach being a -1).

Here's a question though, if an Item of Power had an ability that let you add to its magical effects (using all the rules for creating a magical item, with all the normal requirements as well, so you provide the item slots), would that be a +0 ability?  Seems to me like it would.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 11:14:53 PM by Drachasor »

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: Making an Item of Power: Mjolnir (more or less)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 10:46:38 PM »
Giant Slayer is about 2 points for a power, Seeming is about 1 point for a power, Never far from reach is about 2 points for a power, so the total cost is -3 after taking the IoP deduction.

Seeming is a difficult one to adjucate.  Likely, it just means that the IoP discount is only +1 since it is so easy to conceal, but this is the same as saying the IoP discount is +2 and Seeming is a -1 power.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 10:48:25 PM by luminos »
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 11:13:49 PM »
Giant Slayer is about 2 points for a power, Seeming is about 1 point for a power, Never far from reach is about 2 points for a power, so the total cost is -3 after taking the IoP deduction.

Seeming is a difficult one to adjucate.  Likely, it just means that the IoP discount is only +1 since it is so easy to conceal, but this is the same as saying the IoP discount is +2 and Seeming is a -1 power.

Seeming seems like a 0 to me.  Not much different than something like "Human Guise."  It doesn't block one from dictating it with any sort of supernatural sense.  I can buy Giant Slayer at -2, but -2 for Never Far From Reach seems a bit steep to me, but I admit it is hard to find a reference point in the books (other than comparing it to a rifle), I was thinking of it is a -1.  Hmm, I need to edit my OP, as I meant a -1 with the +2 deduction...got my sign backwards.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 11:17:48 PM »
Breath Weapon is a -2 power in the books, and Never Far From Reach is a more powerful version of that ability.  I might have said that it is -3, but I think the ordinary breath weapon power is a bit weak.  If Seeming is a -0, then you need to think very carefully about how you can justify a full +2 for IoP discount.  The +2 means that it has to be a very obvious item, and something you can fit in your pocket lacks obviousness.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 11:21:55 PM »
Breath Weapon is a -2 power in the books, and Never Far From Reach is a more powerful version of that ability.  I might have said that it is -3, but I think the ordinary breath weapon power is a bit weak.  If Seeming is a -0, then you need to think very carefully about how you can justify a full +2 for IoP discount.  The +2 means that it has to be a very obvious item, and something you can fit in your pocket lacks obviousness.

Ahh, missed the obvious to detect thing, somehow.

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 11:27:22 PM »
I'm not sure how I feel about Shortened Shaft, which almost limits this to non-mortal characters or people on steroids. I admit I know less about the Norse than I would like, but I thought some individuals could wield the hammer for being... er... good/chosen or w/e.
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 11:30:12 PM »
I'm not sure how I feel about Shortened Shaft, which almost limits this to non-mortal characters or people on steroids. I admit I know less about the Norse than I would like, but I thought some individuals could wield the hammer for being... er... good/chosen or w/e.

Not sure that ever comes up outside of Marvel Comics.  I originally went with +6, and moved to +7 because that's what the Lift chart does and I thought consistency would be a good thing.

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 11:34:23 PM »
It wouldn't be obvious to mortals, but in combat it'd be obvious that he had it and he'd rarely surprise a supernatural opponent with it. You could say that it takes a supplemental action to activate it, meaning that if it's small then he isn't prepared for an ambush.

Alternatively, you could give it the aspect 'desirable' so that the GM can compel to have mortals try to steal it (even if it only looks like a hammer, or like a hammer-shaped amulet or whatever).

Finally, I think -3 is a fair cost for it. Perhaps it isn't quite as powerful as the swords of the cross but it's quite close and the distance attack is very good. You could always add on another small, stunt-level ability if you think it's not enough. Perhaps 'Bend and Break' (YS154) if using the hammer, or when holding it at it's normal size you could get 'Leadership' (YS154) or 'Tireless' (YS152). Maybe even a custom stunt like the ability to declare a  target once per scene, challenging it to a duel or threatening to take it down or... whatever. Applying a sticky aspect to the target and one free tag.

Or you could just play it as it is, -3 is pretty fair.

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 11:57:11 PM »
Not sure that ever comes up outside of Marvel Comics.  I originally went with +6, and moved to +7 because that's what the Lift chart does and I thought consistency would be a good thing.
Captain America could wield it, but he has no powers his skills are just at the highest limits of normal human capacity. Thus, +5 might be more appropriate.

I'd more give it the ability that it can't be wielded by evil or people that wish to use it for nefarious purposes. I just don't like limited it's wielder by their strength.

An example in another media is the Troll God Olaf's Hammer (which it's basis was probably Mjolnir) from Buffy. Slayers and Vampires have more or less equal strength, but Spike a less than noble character could barely lift the hammer while Buffy could wield the hammer (and similar to your Giant Slayer, it's the only weapon that could overcome the Toughness abilities of a Troll God and a Hell God).
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Dave Mallonee

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 03:46:45 AM »
Although the goodness aspect of wielding Mjolnir is a Marvel Comics thing I remember from reading actual Norse myths that only someone as strong as Thor or Odin could effectivly use the hammer; additionally Thor had to wear his iron gauntlet to even hold it because of the short handle.

The one thing I would add is some kind of thunder theme; didn't the Vikings believe that thunder was the sound of Thor cracking giant heads with Mjolnir. And if you want to get really crazy you could include some form of lightning evocation to make it really fun.

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 07:18:52 AM »
Although the goodness aspect of wielding Mjolnir is a Marvel Comics thing I remember from reading actual Norse myths that only someone as strong as Thor or Odin could effectivly use the hammer; additionally Thor had to wear his iron gauntlet to even hold it because of the short handle.

The one thing I would add is some kind of thunder theme; didn't the Vikings believe that thunder was the sound of Thor cracking giant heads with Mjolnir. And if you want to get really crazy you could include some form of lightning evocation to make it really fun.

Well, for my actual item that will be based on Mjolnir, I was thinking of going with a +0 ability that let you enchant (following normal enchanting rules), and get the thunder/lightning aspects from that.  Though I had thought of figuring out some way to have it act as a boosted focus for lightning/thunder/storm effects (it can replace a focus for such thing and you get a +1 bonus).  That stuff is easier to adjudicate the cost, I think.

Though, I think the range and effect on large objects fits the thunder aspects thematically fairly well even if it isn't the way you'd expect.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 07:44:33 AM »
Here's my take on Mjolnir;

Description:  Mjolnir is the mythic hammer wielding by the God Thor, forged by the dwarven brothers Sindri and Brokkr.  It is said to be capable of leveling mountains.
Effects:

It is what it is: Mjolnir is a massive, short-hafted hammer, even for the hulking-sized Jotun and Aesir, and entirely made of iron. At about half a cubic meter
       of total volume, it weighs 4 tons. It needs an effective might of +10 to even be lifted off the ground, an effective might of +13 to be used two-handed by a
       medium-sized  creature and an effective might of +15 to be used one-handed by a hulking-sized creature. It is weapon 7.
      Crusher: Mjolnir deals double damage to objects.
      Grinder: By spending a fate point, the wielder can sheathe Mjolnir in power that cracks as a thunderbolt upon impact. Both the target (if hit) and the wielder
       (if unprotected) must roll endurance vs the wielder's might and take the difference as damage that ignores armor and immunity, but not the extra stress boxes of very
      tough creatures (treat immunity as mythic toughness for calculating stress). Everyone in the zone must roll vs the wielder's might or gain a sticky "deafened" aspect.
      The wielder does get damaged but not deafened if he throws the hammer in another zone. An artifact might be needed to protect against this ability.
       Returning: Mjolnir can be thrown one zone for every point the wielder's effective might exceeds 14. It automatically returns whether it hits or misses.

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 08:45:49 AM »
My Mjolnir, inspired by Drachasor, Marvel, Buffy, and the Swords of the Cross

"The Bigger They Are...": Against anything that naturally possesses the Hulking Size attribute (or inanimate objects the size of a large car or larger), attacks with Mjolnir satisfy "the Catch" for their Toughness powers and ignores their mundane armor. For a Fate Point, for the duration of a scene, this ability can be extended to all "normal and small" creatures and objects.
It's a Hammer: Weapon:2
Do What is Right: as Divine Purpose
Thunder's Strength: grants Inhuman Strength. Note: The bearer loses access to this ability when not in physical contact with Mjolnir, this includes when throwing the hammer.
True Aim
Unbreakable
Never Far From Reach: Mjolnir can be thrown as a weapon up to 2 zones away (instead of the standard 1).  Upon striking or missing, it returns to its owner's hand on the following exchange. This ability only works when the hammer is thrown. If the hammer caught or taken from the bearer the hammer will not magically return.
One Time Discount: +2 (It's awkward to hide, thus fairly easy to detect)

I'm not sure what the total cost would turn out to be. If Lum estimated Drachasor's at -3 then I think mine is at least -5 but it could be more considering True Aim and The Bigger They Are (which is stronger than Drachasor's Giant Slayer or the Sword of the Cross's All Creatures Are Equal Before God).

The Bigger They Are... could be overpowered and might just need to be a reskin of All Creatures Are Equal Before God.

I know some of you would place the hammer at Weapon:3, but 2 seemed more appropriate to me. Plus with the Inhuman Strength, granted by the hammer, and True Aim your effectively making Weapon:4 attacks at +1 to your Weapons skill.

I chose to include Inhuman Strength instead of making a belt and/or gauntlet because this makes it easier to "loan" the weapon. And it still sorta keeps with the fact it's a heavy hammer and you need to Inhuman Strength to wield it, while not requiring ridiculous Might/Lifting costs to use the Hammer (thus making it nigh-impossible to loan to a party member or NPCs).

I included Never Far From Reach because of the lore about the hammer returning when thrown and modified it slightly so it couldn't be abused if the GM wished to take the item from the player for plot purposes.

As a side note, this is the first Item of Power I've created and I'm rather proud of it. :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 09:32:49 AM by Mal_Luck »

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 05:24:19 PM »
Damn, that version's badass.

Alright, well, the ability to extend negating The Catch to all creatures for the scene is ridiculous, so that makes "The Bigger They Are..." -6 or so on it's own. Thunder's Strength is -2, and True Aim and Never Far From Reach each -1, so that's -10 total (-8 with the Item of Power discount). But honestly, I'd skip Thunder's Strength making it a slightly more reasonable -6. Thor's hammer isn't supposed to make him stronger, he has a belt for that.

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 10:14:15 PM »
Hmm, I may have misworded what I meant with the Bigger They Are... I meant he could satisfy the catch of a single creature ala what the Swords of the Cross do, while it's always satisfied for Hulking Size+

I think I'll just reskin it as All Creatures Equal Before God.

Mjolnir
"The Bigger They Are...": as All Creatures Equal Before a God
It's a BIG Hammer: Weapon:3, reasoning is that it was intended to be a two handed weapon.
Hammer of a Thunder God: The bearer gains Channeling (Air). The two free focus slots must be used to make Mjolnir into a +2 Air Offensive Power focus item (this +2 focus is not hindered by the Lore score of the bearer).
Note 1: The bearer loses access to the Channeling ability when not in physical contact with Mjolnir.
Note 2: The bearer may take Refinement only to increase the number of focus slots for the hammer at the maximum number of extra slots equal to their Lore (This does not count the two slots always part of the hammer). In the case of odd Lore scores, the extra Focus Slot is unused. These bonuses may be rearranged at your GM's discretion.
Note 3: The extra Refinement spent by the bearer benefits those that they loan the hammer to.
The Weight of Responsibility: as Divine Purpose. When not being properly wielded, Mjolnir becomes an unwieldy weight.
True Aim
Unbreakable
Never Far From Reach: Mjolnir can be thrown as a weapon up to 2 zones away (instead of the standard 1). Upon striking or missing, it returns to its owner's hand on the following exchange. This ability only works when the hammer is thrown. If the hammer caught, stuck, or taken from the bearer the hammer will not magically return.
One Time Discount: +2 (It's awkward to hide, thus fairly easy to detect)
Total Cost: -5 (including +2)

Megingjoro
It's a Belt: Megingjoro takes the form of a wolf-hide belt.
Thunder's Strength: grants Inhuman Strength.
Note 1: The bearer loses access to Inhuman Strength when not in physical contact with Megingjoro.
Note 2: If the bearer already possess a Strength power, increase it one step (e.g. Inhuman to Supernatural or Supernatural to Mythic).
Note 3: Those with Mythic Strength can Lift an object as if it were 2 shifts lighter and gain an additional +1 bonus to Breaking.
Unbreakable
Note: Megingjoro is not required to wield Mjolnir
Total Cost: -2

Jarngreipr
It's a Gauntlet: Jarngreipr is a single gauntlet.
Physical Immunity (Electricity)
The Catch (Not Electricity)
Note: The bearer loses access to Physical Immunity (Electricity) when not in physical contact with Jarngreipr.
Unbreakable
Note: Jarngreipr is not required to wield Mjolnir
Total Cost: -3
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 06:51:32 PM by Mal_Luck »