Author Topic: Other Games As Resources  (Read 3355 times)

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
Other Games As Resources
« on: July 07, 2010, 07:36:41 PM »
My friends and I are always on the prowl for more games, for information, and more approaches to getting things done. For us, it's not unheard of to take an idea from one game, whether a story hook or an actual mechanic, and toss it into another.

I was wondering if anyone did anything similar with Fate/Dresden? If so, what did you pull, and how did you implement it?
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline Remy Sinclair

• Participant
  • I am the calm then I am the storm!
    • View Profile
Re: Other Games As Resources
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 08:09:06 PM »
Yeah, Deadlands because I am running the game in New Mexico I have taken some of the monsters and concepts bringing them into the modern era. I am also using of the information from Boomtown or Bust for some of the history of the area and various towns lost or still in existence today.

World of Darkness: both oWoD and nWoD have some great concepts story arcs and villains to bring in. That is Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Changeling, Demon, Hunter, Wraith, Mummy etc. I am using the Vampire: Kindred of the East supplement to create my version of the Jade Court.

Call of Cthullu, dear God how can you not?

I am using Legend of the Five Rings, D&D Oriental Adventures and White Wolf's Werewolf: Hengeyokai to create Kitsune. I am working on trying to make them more of Japanese legend not just Werefoxes.

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 08:14:44 PM »
Yeah, Deadlands because I am running the game in New Mexico I have taken some of the monsters and concepts bringing them into the modern era. I am also using of the information from Boomtown or Bust for some of the history of the area and various towns lost or still in existence today.

World of Darkness: both oWoD and nWoD have some great concepts story arcs and villains to bring in. That is Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Changeling, Demon, Hunter, Wraith, Mummy etc. I am using the Vampire: Kindred of the East supplement to create my version of the Jade Court.

Call of Cthullu, dear God how can you not?

I am using Legend of the Five Rings, D&D Oriental Adventures and White Wolf's Werewolf: Hengeyokai to create Kitsune. I am working on trying to make them more of Japanese legend not just Werefoxes.

Nice amalgamation there! WoD is a great fit overall, but it leads me to ask: have you considered looking into White Wolf's Scion when it comes to dealing with the scion templates?

Random note of my own: Anyone here ever hear of the RPG "Unhallowed Metropolis"? That has a few interesting ideas revolving around incurring debt to a power that would be rather interesting to implement. . .
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline Remy Sinclair

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 08:26:50 PM »
Not a game I own, Scion. I heard of it. I think I have enough material right now. Probably a good idea for someone to use. 

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 08:31:42 PM »
Steve Jackson Games- GURPS Supplements.

As source materials for ancient magicks, cultures, (Rome, Greece, Celts, Vikings, Voodoo....) and different systems of magical thought they are superb.  The supplements also give reference sources for further research.
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline gaelvin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 05:17:44 AM »
In Nomine is a good source of inspiration in the area of angels and demons. I also like its take on the etherial realm, which corresponds well to the Nevernever. One element that I might use is the idea that when a mortal dreams, they create a temporary demesne in the Nevernever. If you're in the Nevernever, and know where to look, it's possible to enter someone's dream realm, and do any number of things. I'd guess that the demesne boundary would probably count as a threshold, though.

Another great source for general ideas is the Suppressed Transmission, by Ken Hite (who wrote the Chicago Chapter in Our World). It was a regular column on the Pyramid on-line magazine, and selected essays from the first two years have been collected and published in two volumes by Steve Jackson Games. I highly recommend them.

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 06:19:58 AM »
Yes, I know unhallowed Metro. I kinda know one of the writers.

The first thing I look to is the prior fate game, the early 20th century pulp game: Spirit of the century. Fate stunt trees, minions, etc.

Offline Chlorofiend

• Participant
  • Plant Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 11:15:36 PM »
One element that I might use is the idea that when a mortal dreams, they create a temporary demesne in the Nevernever. If you're in the Nevernever, and know where to look, it's possible to enter someone's dream realm, and do any number of things. I'd guess that the demesne boundary would probably count as a threshold, though.

Bob tells us in Grave Peril that wizards, at least, do create temporary demesnes--at least sometimes they do. It doesn't even seem that the demesne boundary is a threshold; Kravos' ghost has no trouble getting into Harry's dream in the book, but Bob does say that the "owner" of the demesne carries some unspecified "home field advantage."
"Little holes are from Marcone's thug. Big dent was a chlorofiend," I said.
"A what?"
"Plant monster."
"Oh. Why don't you just say 'plant monster?'"
"I have my pride."

--Harry and Susan, Death Masks

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 11:44:15 PM »
Not quite on topic, but in the same vein, I did a thread on converting Old World of Darkness White Wolf stuff to the DFRPG.

It can be found here:

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,19083.0.html

More directly on-topic, Witchcraft by Eden Studios has numerous easily stealable ideas for organizations and creature types, as well as forms of magic and other such things.

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 06:56:10 AM »
Bought Starblazers and Legends of Anglerre.
Still reading but I think I'll import the organization rules into DFRPG.

Offline shadowlost

• Conversationalist
  • I'm the Dark God whose mind Shades came from...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 07:45:13 AM »
World of Darkness: Chicago
Damnation city
Skinchangers
World of Darkness: Inferno
Reliquaries
I'm a white wolf boy so I have plenty of options..:)
Instead of a denarian. I got a copper piece. Now I'm host to the fallen one known as Cheapassius.

When I read DF Spoilers Thread. It's like Occam's Razor be damned. :D

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 10:14:24 AM »
It's hard to beat D&D for monster concepts.  Isn't hard to convert the general idea to the FATE system.

Offline pfloyd

• Participant
  • Team Dresden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 01:46:28 PM »
For those who remember, Palladium's Beyond the Supernatural may also do well as an influence. I prefer the first edition, myself, as that's what I played back in the day before I realised how awful the Palladium system actually is. Great concepts and settings, bad system execution.
A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." -- Douglas Adams

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 04:10:23 PM »
Chill, by Pacesetter Games, and its supplements is another modern-day horror/fantasy game to mine for ideas.  The ninja-vampire sounds ridiculous...but it had one of the most horrific feeding rituals around.  (No fangs...it broke people in half with brute force and drank their blood.)
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline Remy Sinclair

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 04:13:52 PM »
Chill, by Pacesetter Games, and its supplements is another modern-day horror/fantasy game to mine for ideas.  The ninja-vampire sounds ridiculous...but it had one of the most horrific feeding rituals around.  (No fangs...it broke people in half with brute force and drank their blood.)
In the Dresden RPG, Harry asks if he can play a Ghoul/Ninja and Billy says he could. So not as ridiculous as you thought.