Author Topic: The Future of the Line  (Read 7358 times)

Offline Simon Hogwood

• Conversationalist
  • Proud Dresdenarian
    • View Profile
    • Words of Wonderment
Re: The Future of the Line
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 04:51:57 AM »
Personally, I'm thinking an "Our World: Part II" book wouldn't be out of the question a few years down the line.
Blogging his way through The Dresden Files (currently on hiatus).

Offline gaelvin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 05:26:27 AM »
Personally, I'm thinking an "Our World: Part II" book wouldn't be out of the question a few years down the line.

Now that would be pretty cool, and just about all that I'd need. If anything in the later books didn't fit in with what was laid out in "Your Story", "Our World: Part II" could also present new supernatural powers and/or new trappings to existing powers.

Offline Darkling

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Darklings we listen
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 07:11:05 AM »
I would love to see a grimoire of every spell and item from the books

Ooh, I think I want that too.

'The night holds more than darkness and the stars.' - The San Francisco version of the Lestat musical.

Offline mime64

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 04:58:58 PM »
I want maps. I thought we would be getting maps with Nevermore or Our World but I am disappointed.

Offline CleverName

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 07:17:11 PM »
If DFRPG makes good money, there will be more. I plan on selling as many copies to my friends as possible.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 08:05:49 PM »
I want maps. I thought we would be getting maps with Nevermore or Our World but I am disappointed.

I'm assuming you mean the Nevernever when you say that.

My impression is that the Nevernever would be really difficult to map. A lot of things don't seem to be in any particular direction from anything other places.

Look at Arctis Tor. It's at the center of Winter. I don't think that means that if you drew a big map of the terrain held by Winter, you could draw lines that crossed at the center, and there'd be Arctis Tor. Instead, it seems to be a metaphor. It's a little difficult to draw out metaphors in a way that would go over well as a map.

Even worse, if you could map out the Nevernever in a way that was useful as a map, it wouldn't correspond to Earth in any way. You couldn't pop over there, walk a mile, and then pop back here and be able to guess at all where you might show up.

Offline Kordeth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 08:11:43 PM »
I'm assuming you mean the Nevernever when you say that.

Pretty sure he meant Nevermore, the sample setting of Baltimore in the back of Your Story.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 09:19:22 PM »
Pretty sure he meant Nevermore, the sample setting of Baltimore in the back of Your Story.

*slaps forehead*

You ever have one of those days? I'm having one of those weeks.

Offline theDwarf

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 10:31:11 PM »
Well, if they are not planning to publish more books then "the future of the line" would be entirely in the hands of the fans.

So far I have not been able to locate a Dresden Files FRPG web ring, which would be the next logical step IMHO.

:)
-D.M.Zwerg
Mathematician

Offline Remy Sinclair

• Participant
  • I am the calm then I am the storm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 02:44:59 AM »
Well, if they are not planning to publish more books then "the future of the line" would be entirely in the hands of the fans.

So far I have not been able to locate a Dresden Files FRPG web ring, which would be the next logical step IMHO.

:)

I suck at webdesign or I would make a page on my game for that.

Offline Sh33p

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 09:32:07 AM »
Would be pretty bitchin' if there was an expanded settings and/or campaign book. I'm a semi-newbie looking to GM, a little bit lazy, and pretty overworked. Would be nice to see how the pros plan things out with this system.

Offline theDwarf

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 04:04:30 PM »
Would be pretty bitchin' if there was an expanded settings and/or campaign book. I'm a semi-newbie looking to GM, a little bit lazy, and pretty overworked. Would be nice to see how the pros plan things out with this system.

What you mention above is EXACTLY what fan sites can handle.  As long as they post appropriate copyright and don't copy text from the books they are generally OK.  Having posts here about cities and settings are nice and all, but websites can gather things together, have multiple pages people can link between, and so forth.  If I had time I would consider doing it, but alas I am booked for the nonce. :(
-D.M.Zwerg
Mathematician

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2010, 02:20:18 PM »
Some good ideas here. I certainly would love a GM Screen, FATE dice, and Chips (all customized to the Dresdenverse).

I agree that an "Our World, Volume II" would be neat, but seriously we wouldn't want something like this for several years. I mean, each of Jim's novels will have some new material but the core rulebook covers roughly a dozen books and you wouldn't want too many little 1-2 book addon volumes. (Unless they were short PDF updates.)
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2010, 02:43:45 PM »
I don't see much of a need for a GM screen...heck they sort of send one with the books. it's a bookmark. the system is fairly elegant and streamlined. There are two pages in the back of the book that pretty much are a GM screen, as it has I think, every single table in the entire game.

really i concur that just some web supplements are all that's needed with this particular system. I mean what's left to say about vampires that's not been said or isn't in the books themselves? what more rules do you need for them? And the magic system is so brilliantly open ended that idea is that there really aren't any "spells" mechanics wise, as everything is personal to the caster, so any spells in the book are just applications of the rules for you to build off of, and really...why pay for that? you get more dynamic help here, and it's free.

the only thing i can think of is as new monsters appear, or someone does something in the books that the rules don't cover (or can be covered but only after a really awkward and byzantine application).

A Never Never guide would be good too, especially with a "map" (which isn't so much about spatial relationships, as relative visual comparisons of the courts, and other known demesnes). bundle with it an abstract of the Accords.

Offline Remy Sinclair

• Participant
  • I am the calm then I am the storm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2010, 04:33:36 PM »
Some good ideas here. I certainly would love a GM Screen, FATE dice, and Chips (all customized to the Dresdenverse).

I agree that an "Our World, Volume II" would be neat, but seriously we wouldn't want something like this for several years. I mean, each of Jim's novels will have some new material but the core rulebook covers roughly a dozen books and you wouldn't want too many little 1-2 book addon volumes. (Unless they were short PDF updates.)

Disagree, Jim Butcher has many locations other than Chicago that are in his short stories that take place in the Dresdenverse that were not mentioned in Our World that deserve to be expanded. Same with many of the creatures and villains that were not mentioned in the first two RPG books.

Also the RPG only covers up to Small Favor events, creatures, and location, The Post Small Favor Books (Turncoat, Changes as well as the upcoming Ghost Story) and short stories were not covered. These is enough for an update book here.