Author Topic: The Future of the Line  (Read 7357 times)

Offline Mindflayer94

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
The Future of the Line
« on: July 07, 2010, 12:19:02 AM »
I was wondering if when later books are released, will we get new splatbooks to reflect the added changes to the series?
DV Mindflayer94 v1.2 YR3 FR2 BK+++ RP++++ JB TH++++ WG+ CL--- SW BC++ !MC SH[Murphy+++]

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of the Line
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 12:23:35 AM »
Web supplements are likely, but not anything beyond that. Probably, anyhow.

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 12:34:17 AM »
    Yeah. They seem to have decided to only release the 2 corebooks for it. I hope they change their minds though.

While I think the Books are incredibly well done, and you could probably build anything with it, I would like to see the occasional supplement.
     Not necessarily a running line like D&D or WoD (that would be too much), but maybe just one or two a year.
     Among things I'd like to see are...
       A GM Screen
       A White Council book (or just a book of Wizardry)
       A Denarian Book
       A Vampire book (could probably do all 3 courts as one book, but I'd pay for 3 smaller books if it came to that)
       And eventually

(click to show/hide)

I'm sure I could think of more ways to give them my money, but that's just off the top of my head.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 01:27:56 AM »
I'm actually sort of glad that Evil Hat doesn't subscribe to the supplement treadmill theory of game design. I'm not saying that I don't want any future material for the DFRPG, but I'm totally fine waiting a while before we see more.

Basically, I don't want to see splat books. I don't want a wizard book, and a vampire book, and a Denarian book. That's very old World of Darkness, and that's played out.

Tbora

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 01:43:48 AM »
I'd like see a book that expands on summoning,binding,conjuring, and pets in general as the current set up doesn't handle them very well (So few games do) and perhaps a guidebook to the Nevernever to reference

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 02:12:26 AM »
I would love to see a grimoire of every spell and item from the books along with new example spells. I suppose this could be handled as a web enhancement, though.

A GM screen would be great.

Oh, and Dresden themed fudge dice and fate chips  :)

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 02:18:00 AM »
Oh, and Dresden themed fudge dice and fate chips  :)

Black Chips with silver pentacles, sized to fit on the character sheet would be awesome!

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 02:58:14 AM »
I think it is rather clear that Evil Hat is not interested in trying to add things to the Dresden Universe, which most of the supplements would describe. If Jim wanted to write more, I'm sure they would be happy to publish it, but there is a reason they do a lot of 'as far as we have seen so far' and not 'this is what it is' for the in game stats and such.

As they do other fate games, there are more things to draw from. I know I've pulled out my copy of spirit of the century for some discussed game ideas (minions = constructs and such)

Offline Mindflayer94

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 04:35:31 AM »
I'm actually sort of glad that Evil Hat doesn't subscribe to the supplement treadmill theory of game design. I'm not saying that I don't want any future material for the DFRPG, but I'm totally fine waiting a while before we see more.

That's exactly what I mean. I'm wondering if in 6-7 years will we get an update to the rules. (I ask because it seems like we're bout to get a lot of info in Ghost Story)
DV Mindflayer94 v1.2 YR3 FR2 BK+++ RP++++ JB TH++++ WG+ CL--- SW BC++ !MC SH[Murphy+++]

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
  • Everyone needs magical fire in their lives!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog: EldritchFire Press
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 11:50:22 AM »
Black Chips with silver pentacles, sized to fit on the character sheet would be awesome!

Just like the "Current Fate Points" area on the character sheet, hey? That would be sahweet!

-EF
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 02:57:49 PM »
Just like the "Current Fate Points" area on the character sheet, hey? That would be sahweet!

-EF

Yeah. Sized just to fit on that spot, it would be awesome.

Offline Da_Gut

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 03:39:05 PM »
I LIKE splat books - especially fluffy ones, with discussions of the mechanics behind the game. I would LOVE to see a yearly splat book.

Also magic - I could use more spell examples. I haven't grokked that yet.

Offline Nomad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 05:16:55 PM »
On top of the current 2 books, I would like to see some side products (DM screen, Dice, Chips and odds and ends)
I would also like updates (Pdf?) after each book and maybe a paperback after enough material has accumulated.

I don't think we need DnD style army of books but some decently constructed and intresting errata/expanded Dresdenverse would be very nice as time goes on.
Waiting eagerly for the day when Arry will enchant a fluorescent tube lamp and use it as a lightsaber.

Quote from: Archangel62
Magically speaking he may be a thug, but tactically speaking...he's the cast of looney tunes after a few bong hits.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 05:28:32 PM »
Now that we have the core system, there is no reason why the fans themselves can't make whatever updates are needed to go with the new books.  Its not like Evil Hat will actually be changing anything.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 06:26:16 PM »
Now that we have the core system, there is no reason why the fans themselves can't make whatever updates are needed to go with the new books.  Its not like Evil Hat will actually be changing anything.

No, but systems do get revised and improved upon. This could probably be handled through web-articles or somesuch but I can see why people would want "official" support for their games.