Author Topic: RPG Subforums  (Read 1733 times)

Offline theDwarf

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
RPG Subforums
« on: July 04, 2010, 06:31:59 AM »
I was looking through the Dresden Files RPG forum and I notice a few things:

1) A number of patterns / types of threads
2) there are 978+ threads on a relatively new game
3) threads get buried very quickly

It is good the forum is so active, but it can cause "problems" as well.  (I know of games out there that have been around for around a decade that never had this volume of daily activity and total maybe 3x the post count all told)

Where the problem comes in is that posts get buried faster than people can look at them, posts and questions get duplicated more, and posts get lost very easily.

A few buckets (sub-forums) within the category could help immensely, probably one for cities, one for magic & items, one for creatures & characters, and one for general or some other set of groupings.    Separating out cities would help encourage "group" effort and suggestions by making them easier to find and track.  The rest separate the general patterns and distributions effectively reducing post count in each to 1/3rd to 1/4th current total.  That would help slow down the post lost rate.  ;D

Not certain if it is doable or advisable, but it is my comment from the peanut gallery.
-D.M.Zwerg
Mathematician

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
Re: RPG Subforums
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 04:55:24 PM »
Seconded.
I agree about the suggestions. There is A LOT of good stuff there, but yikes on looking through it.

Also, would it be possible to sticky or make a subforum for the various individual games being created? Like the Houston game, the San Fran one etc. It would make it tremendously easier to keep track of the info for the players who use it as a game reference. Also easier for new players to get the game info.

Thanks!
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Offline theDwarf

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: RPG Subforums
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 05:55:48 PM »
Seconded.
I agree about the suggestions. There is A LOT of good stuff there, but yikes on looking through it.

Also, would it be possible to sticky or make a subforum for the various individual games being created? Like the Houston game, the San Fran one etc. It would make it tremendously easier to keep track of the info for the players who use it as a game reference. Also easier for new players to get the game info.

Thanks!

I could see games being played and Cities created in same sub-forum, or different, but either way a few good solid groupings would definitely help immensely.  Too many and it will fracture and less cross-posts ... too few and things get lost and very few people even see it unless it is resurrected later (like I did with the item thread ... twice!)
-D.M.Zwerg
Mathematician