Author Topic: Template: Pucks  (Read 3513 times)

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
Template: Pucks
« on: July 01, 2010, 06:40:09 PM »
I want to create a template for the Fae Pucks. Not really looking for the Disney Gargoyles version (magical trickster) but more of Robin Goodfellow from Rob Thurman's Landros novels (Used Carsalesman and Con-Artist/Thief) without the sex obsession.

Can anyone make suggestions? I've got book 1 for the game already and am picking book 2 tonight when I go to a heroclix tournament at the game store.
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
Re: Template: Pucks
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 07:02:05 PM »
You mean, like a satyr?  Top half man (but with horns) and lower half goat.  Plays the pipes for nymphs.

Luminous and I had a conversation a while back (and while I don't remember reaching a consensus, based on his post in another thread, we both came to the same group of powers).

That list was:
   Glamours [-2]
   Incite Emotion (Manic revelry; At Range, Lasting Emotion) [-3]
   Inhuman Speed [-2]
   Inhuman Toughness [-2]
   the Catch [+1] is cold iron and the like.

But this was a list for an NPC faerie, and intended as the "Choice" condition for a changeling with a satyr parent.
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 08:25:49 PM »
For Pucks as you describe, I'd do the following:

Glamours [-2]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
Inhuman Recovery [-2]
The Catch is Cold Iron and the like. [+3]

The Incie Emotion mentioned above also makes sense but may or may not fit what you're aiming for. High Deceit and Rapport are reccomended, along with decent Athletics and Endurance.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 09:05:42 PM »
Puck isn't a category of faerie. He's an individual.

If you're looking for the category of being to which the Puck belongs, you could do worse than calling him a goblin or sprite. Your basic goblin would probably have something like:

Glamour (-2)
Inhuman Speed (-2)

Individuals would vary off of this baseline.

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 05:29:27 AM »

Actually, in the Thurman novels, Pucks are a race which inspired Satyrs (the goats legs were actually a disguise). Robin Goodfellow is actually the FIRST puck with another actually being the base for Hobgoblins. Pucks actually all look alike and really cannot stand being around each other because of all the stealing from each other.

I like some of the suggestions. One thing I've been unsure of is if they'd be Summer Court or Wyld Fae. Because they live for life, they would not be Winter.

Puck isn't a category of faerie. He's an individual.

If you're looking for the category of being to which the Puck belongs, you could do worse than calling him a goblin or sprite. Your basic goblin would probably have something like:

Glamour (-2)
Inhuman Speed (-2)

Individuals would vary off of this baseline.
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 05:18:46 PM »
Actually, in the Thurman novels, Pucks are a race which inspired Satyrs (the goats legs were actually a disguise). Robin Goodfellow is actually the FIRST puck with another actually being the base for Hobgoblins.

Then consider this another vote against turning mythical individuals into races.

And, yes, Medusa being turned into a race of monsters in D&D annoys me as well.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 05:27:33 PM »
Then consider this another vote against turning mythical individuals into races.

And, yes, Medusa being turned into a race of monsters in D&D annoys me as well.

I second that vote.  Treat puck as a hobgoblin, and Medusa as a Gorgon.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 06:22:31 PM »
I second that vote.  Treat puck as a hobgoblin, and Medusa as a Gorgon.

He's basing this on a specific (really cool) thing done in a book series. Give the man a break, guys.

Additionally, Puck makes several references to the possibility of others of his kind "As I am an honest Puck..."

And, in fact, looking at wikipedia, Puck is the generic term, or at least can be considered so as easily as Hobgoblin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puck_(mythology)

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 07:34:42 PM »
Actually, in the Thurman novels, Pucks are a race which inspired Satyrs (the goats legs were actually a disguise). Robin Goodfellow is actually the FIRST puck with another actually being the base for Hobgoblins. Pucks actually all look alike and really cannot stand being around each other because of all the stealing from each other.

I like some of the suggestions. One thing I've been unsure of is if they'd be Summer Court or Wyld Fae. Because they live for life, they would not be Winter.

Robin isn't the first puck ;)    THe puck from Moonshine is.   Hob.   
Robin is however the basis for the playful trickster legends associated with his actual species in the novels, like Pan.  Just as Hob is the basis for the vindictive trickster legends associated with his species, Old Hob that kind of thing.

Love Thurmans writing almost as much as Jim's.  Almost ;)   Have you read "a trick of the light"  her other series that takes place in the same world?   YOU SHOULD IF YOU HAVEN"T, it reveals ALOOOOOOOOOOOT about the Setting.   Like alot alot. It'll blow your mind. For serious.
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 11:16:31 PM »

Haven't read Trick yet. Have about 1/2 left of Death Wish and then Roadkill. Took a week off from reading Deathwish when Changes came out. Once I finish Roadkill, I'll most likely pick up Trick of the Light since it's going to be around April for Ghost Story.

I guess I mixed up Rob and Hob. I know that Monsterpedia lists Pucks as a race.

I'm basing my campaign in Panama City, Fl, where I live and making some embellishments to give more substance to the city. The puck is being based on my former employer at one of the local comic and game shops. He had already agreed to provide a Bob-type a "voice" if anyone should happen to end up with something like it. Whenever I'd mention it and clarify Bob's being a smart-ass, every one would say "so James is doing it".

Robin isn't the first puck ;)    THe puck from Moonshine is.   Hob.   
Robin is however the basis for the playful trickster legends associated with his actual species in the novels, like Pan.  Just as Hob is the basis for the vindictive trickster legends associated with his species, Old Hob that kind of thing.

Love Thurmans writing almost as much as Jim's.  Almost ;)   Have you read "a trick of the light"  her other series that takes place in the same world?   YOU SHOULD IF YOU HAVEN"T, it reveals ALOOOOOOOOOOOT about the Setting.   Like alot alot. It'll blow your mind. For serious.

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 02:08:52 AM »
A concealed staff weapon should also satisfy the catch for pucks.
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".

Offline GruffAndTumble

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 03:20:13 AM »
Puck is a species, not an individual. Robin Goodfellow is a Puck, but is not Puck or the Puck, despite occasionally being referred to as such. Shakespeare was drawing on a tradition of faerie tricksters also called Pookas and several other names I can't recall off the top of my head.

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 03:01:08 AM »
Was talking with a friend who's also reading the Landros Novels and he reminded me that Robin has really no other powers than that he's immortal. With enough trauma, he'll die, but he heals quickly from most anything else. I figure pucks would have the Inhuman Recovery and I would imagine a high Deception Skill rating.

Anyone else agree?

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 06:03:08 PM »
Well, it's been a while, but I'm getting back to working on a template for Pucks (as used in Rob Thurman's Leandros books) now that her new book actually goes into Goodfellow's family tree and abilities. If you have not read Doubletake yet, there are spoilers regarding Rob Goodfellow, Hob, and the whole Puck race.

(click to show/hide)

I appreciate any help or insight.

Offline Adin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 09:51:23 PM »
I would say Inhuman Recovery and nothing else.  In the latest book we found out that while they once could incite emotion on supernaturals, other creatures have adapted unless there are a large number of pucks congregating in a Panic.  That said, Hob displayed Inhuman Speed, Strength, and Toughness, but he was the original Puck.

Since their trust power only works when there are a group of them together (which only happens every thousand years,) I would call it a +0 custom power called Panic.