Author Topic: Urban Sorcerer [Possible Setting/Resource]  (Read 4022 times)

Offline caul

• Participant
    • View Profile
Urban Sorcerer [Possible Setting/Resource]
« on: July 01, 2010, 06:30:29 PM »
If you haven't yet, I highly suggest everyone read A Madness of Angels and The Midnight Mayor, the only books in the Matthew Swift series by Kate Griffin.  They are a fun read, and I have to say, though I love Butcher and the Dresden Files, the magic use in Griffin's universe is brilliant and more to my tastes, and would be easy to simulate using the Fate system.  Even if you don't play in her world, I think you'll be surprised how much information there is to mine from these books, particularly if you are going to play in and around London, or really any other large city.

Seriously, check them out...you won't be disappointed.

Tbora

Re: Urban Sorcerer [Possible Setting/Resource]
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 08:48:17 PM »
Butcher is god, no one out does him in urban fantasy.

I find your delusions quaint.

Offline caul

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 10:21:54 PM »
Okay, glad I tried to broaden everyone's mind a little...I'll shut up now since I am obviously not worth your time.

And Butcher is A god...but there are many...

P.S. -- way to run off potential gamers/readers...bet JB loves that, as do the makers of DFRPG...

Tbora

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 10:28:59 PM »
I'm sorry, its just when you someone is better then Butcher that is what got me.

I can accept near as good, or even equal to Butcher.

But no one, absolutely no one, out does him in his chosen field.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 10:33:56 PM »
Everyone chill out. Tastes differ.

Personally, I tend to agree that Jim Butcher is pre-eminent in the field, but then I've never read Kate Griffin, and I'm perfectly willing to be surprised. Also, I know people who think other very good authors are better in the field...and because what they like in the genre is different from what I like, i can't fault them for that.

And, to be fair, I know of other authors that are at least slightly outside said genre who are, IMO, legitimately better than Jim. Both Neil Gaiman and Lois Bujold leap immediately to mind.

Offline fabulator

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 11:34:26 PM »
Madness of Angels is quite good and definitely on par with Jim's work. Its not quite as in depth in the characters and motivations and such but the setting and writing style are very engrossing.

Offline void

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 07:52:03 AM »
I'm always on the lookout for new material. I'll dive on Kate Griffin this weekend, probably.

Does anyone else have any other uncommonly known urban arcana settings to recommend?

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 12:01:33 PM »
I'm always looking for new stuff to read, and while I love The Dresden Files, I really didn't enjoy Fool Moon or Changes. To each their own.

Kate Griffin's stuff looks cool. I'll be checking it out.

Offline caul

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 03:18:28 PM »
I'm sorry, its just when you someone is better then Butcher that is what got me.

I can accept near as good, or even equal to Butcher.

But no one, absolutely no one, out does him in his chosen field.

Actually never said she was better than JB...try reading posts before you bash them.  Readers are leaders...

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 03:33:51 PM »
Am always happy to hear "if you liked X, try Y" suggestions - thanx for the info. Will see if Kate Griffin's in the library and check it out... :)

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 04:57:40 PM »
Ive got it at home..   Its a decent read.    It reminds me more of Simon Green than Jim Butcher.  And while mr green is quite a writer, he doesn't come close to reaching Butchery goodness.

Madness of angels get a 3 out of 5 from me.    Good for a one time read, not much re-read value imo
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline pfloyd

• Participant
  • Team Dresden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 06:22:05 PM »
Simon Green... the Droods... now there would be an interesting crossover...
A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." -- Douglas Adams

Offline zakmo86

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 07:32:58 PM »
The Matthew Swift books are some of the best urban fantasy out there. I think they're as good as the Dresden Files, but for different reasons. They scratch an itch that Dresden leaves me itching sometimes. I wish there were more, along with the Magical Anonymous "spin off."

The magic in the Swift series would be awesome in FATE.

I've wanted to put together a game on roll20...

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 11:10:41 PM »
Please keep this discussion on Topic, which is mining another series to provide possible setting/resource material for conversion into the FATE system for use.

This is not a debate about who loves which authors, nor is it ever appropriate in this forum to make a personal attack upon another member.  (Not directed at the person who revived this thread, but as a prophylactic against that sort of behavior starting up again.)

~Blaze, as Mod
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:15:29 PM by Blaze »
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline Mojosilver

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 12:02:44 AM »
If we are throwing out Urban fantasy series we like. Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series, The Edge series, and Clean Sweep. Kevin J. Anderson's Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I series. Patricia Briggs' Mercy Tompson Series. Glen Cook's Garrett P.I. series. Larry Correia's Grimnoir Chronicles, and Monster Hunter International series. And Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock Series. I think these series disserve some shout outs. :)