Author Topic: Character Creation Help - Chronomancer  (Read 3134 times)

Tbora

Re: Character Creation Help - Chronomancer
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 02:12:17 AM »
The whole point of this character is to have Prince of Persia style tricks, so what your suggesting doesn't really work.

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 04:06:22 AM »
I second CableRouter's statement that a "redo" character that can invalidate the last X minutes/hours/days of play is messed up.

Here is the important thing to recognize: Assuming you had a Sands of Time type guy, the only outcome other people perceive are your successes (and the version of the timeline that goes with it).  Therefore, focus on a character that doesn't **** up in the first place.

That means, general aspects that can be invoked early and often.  At the same time you need to be able to generate more fate points.

Just as were-forms in DFrpg don't need spellcraft powers to do their thing, this character doesn't need a spellcraft power to do its thing.  Just a lot of unspent refresh and the appropriate things to tag for a whole lot of +2's (and maybe a re-roll).

Inhuman Speed can help.  It is a +1 to all athletic checks and +2 for sprinting.  The only problem with taking it is that if it is your first (or only) supernatural power, you just gave up 4 refresh for a +1 all the time.

I know it is counter intuitive, but a pure mortal with few stunts can be more of a (functional) "repeater" (or precog) than a supernatural guy.
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline void

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 06:41:13 AM »
Has anyone considered focusing on the enchanted item framework for consumable blocks/armor/etc?

I think the prince of persia 'redo' concept could just as easily be worked using rationed per-exchange effects as any spellcasting or aspect triggering; during actual play the Prince generally only rewound brief moments of battle.

It'd also do a lot to put a lid on some potential abuses if the character only has so much chrono-juice per session to work with.

You could even incorporate Lawbreaker [6th] into, say, the Lore for the enchanted items.

That notion aside, I giggle at the idea of having to rig up all seven aspects tied to time manip. That's a fun project.