Author Topic: Exiled Fey?  (Read 1382 times)

Offline austinmonster

• Participant
    • View Profile
Exiled Fey?
« on: June 25, 2010, 02:27:03 PM »
I have a player who talks about how they are planning on playing an exiled Fey who works at a desk job at Seattle PD.   He says that said fey will be relitively powerless, with the exception of being able to put people to sleep as an attack.

How do i even begin to fit this idea into the system?  I'm pretty sure sponsored magic would be able to cover this, but said player has already stipulated that he wants his character to be separated from the court (hence, no sponsored magic).  Could it be available as a minor power?  It might be the ability to use a maneuver in combat to put "sleeeepy" on a foe.  Invoke said aspect to make them pass out - I could use some help here on clarifying this?  Could you use the ability on a foe a number of times equal to their endurance to FORCE them to pass out?  If they spend a fate point to keep from going Toes to Jesus, would they still miss a turn shrugging it off?.

There's the other challenge of playing a Fey.  I feel like their inability to lie and having to follow agreements SHOULD merit a point of refresh back.  I know any practitioner knows the importance of keeping oaths promised "on their power" and whatnot, but it's a much bigger deal for fey. 

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Exiled Fey?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 02:33:36 PM »
For the power, you could probably use incite emotion and use lethargy or something like that.

As for the no lying and things like that, it's part of the package of being fae in the Dresdenverse. It also creates a lot of good roleplaying opportunities and would be one of those high concepts that prints fate points by being compelled all the time.

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 05:46:17 PM »
If I had a player that wanted to be an exiled fae, I would try to talk them into repurposing the changeling template or use a pure mortal with a twist.

In this case during the exile the fae was stripped of a measure of power.  Either way the character should be really clued in.  But by being downgraded to mortal gets rid of the free will issue.

Why would the courts use exile as a punishment?  Exile removes the same amount of power from the court as execution, but execution doesn't put a "free agent" out there to be recruited by a rival.  I think the courts (at least Summer and Winter) would instead kill the offending party and pour their blood onto the stone table to directly transfer the power to the court rather than lose it.

So using that line, perhaps the fae in question set up a fail safe to reincarnate and came back as a Changeling.  The only problem there is that it is easy for Changelings to go full power easily by just Choosing fae.  So the free will associated with being partly mortal needs to be factored in.
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Tbora

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 05:50:33 PM »
He could play a wyld fae, perhaps a mid tier servant to an erkling esk being.Perhaps in fact it was the Erkling, and he sent him (exiled fae) out so he can hunt him down.

Just a thought.

Offline austinmonster

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 06:43:51 PM »
Why would the courts use exile as a punishment?  Exile removes the same amount of power from the court as execution, but execution doesn't put a "free agent" out there to be recruited by a rival.  I think the courts (at least Summer and Winter) would instead kill the offending party and pour their blood onto the stone table to directly transfer the power to the court rather than lose it.

Well, and I'm quite sure he doesn't read these forums, but remember the whole idea Mab as that "you never throw away that which could be useful to you."  It's obvious the player in question will still have a VERY VERY minor connection to the court in question (if anything, just though her high concept) and that would give the court a way to, say, scry though the character, or compel her if the situation came up.

Making an exiled fey is kind the equivalent of a sleeper agent.  Or at least that's the trap I plan on springing.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 08:02:37 PM »
That works.

And Incite Emotion (Lethargy) with Lasting Emotion (and likely At Range) does indeed seem the way to put people to sleep mystically. Cheap to purchase, too.