Author Topic: Regarding the chatroom  (Read 101458 times)

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
  • "No plan, just bigger guns." - Dylan Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding the chatroom
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 09:15:10 PM »
Because if Chatbox turns into another Touchy Topics, it's going to go live with Touchy Topics.

What was the Touchy Topics thread? I gather its been canceled. Was it where people could talk about imigration policies, waterboarding, and gay marriage and stuff? No wonder it had to get shut down. I'm impressed the forum gave us a shot at it in the first place.  ;)
"I am impertinant." - Percy Jackson, Book I: The Lightning Thief

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline Paynesgrey

• Warden
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 09:33:45 PM »
Yeah, that pretty much describes Touchy Topics.  Social, political, religious debates generally sums it up.  There was some fine debate and discussion, but way to much unpleasantness, and the unpleasantness started spreading to the rest of the forums.  It's ok to talk about technological issue, say, research in energy sources, but going to "BP SUX and people who use cars are evil!" or "Solar is for tree-hugging Belgians who hate America!" is a big No Go.  Gun owners might chat about their new toys and wish lists, but we can't go into gun laws/politics.  The tictacs and strategery of the Battle of Rourke's Drift is fine, but editorial about moral/ethical aspects of the colonial/imperial system in 1800's Africa is another example of No Go.  If in doubt, ask.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 09:43:22 PM »
Lol! I get it. I've seen people mention TT before but I didn't know it was an actual closed down topic...I just thought it was a blanket name for politics and religion discussions. I agree that keeping those topics off the forum is a good idea. I've seen people start to get close to political discussions and all of a sudden everybody starts getting negative and judgemental. There's a reason these subjects are supposed to be taboo...if you don't know someone well then you probably couldn't convince them to agree with you anyway so why make them mad? Love your examples, btw...I know exactly what you're talking about.  ;)

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Forest

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 06:38:13 PM »
It sounds like TT was given a pair of cement shoes....  :o

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 06:45:14 PM »
It sounds like TT was given a pair of cement shoes....  :o

Shecky's threat does sound rather sinister doesn't it.  :D

Offline Shecky

• Warden
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 06:55:32 PM »
Shecky's threat does sound rather sinister doesn't it.  :D

But it's no threat - Iago doesn't have the time to pattycake with people who want to push the envelope of social non-jackassery (which is why he towed Touchy Topics out to sea and scuttled it over the Laurentian Abyss), and he's already stated that abuse of the less-controlled chatroom, if not reined in, will meet an equally watery end of the chatroom.

Folks, the chatroom was intended to give people an immediacy in their friendly banter, not to give the self-appointed rebels a sekrit smoking room. The mods are hearing more and more about people stepping over the line there, and that's not the route to Happyiagoville. We LIKE Happy Iago. So if the level of inappropriate behavior in the chatroom reaches unacceptability, we've got the shaped charges ready to go.

Let's pull it together and get with the program, people. Bad behavior there will not only earn just as much of a vacation as on the regular boards, it will get the room dragged out back of the shed and Old-Yellered.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Warden
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 07:06:13 PM »
Frankly, we'd rather just drop the hammer on a problem then let that problem kill the chatroom for everyone.  Think of it as though you're at a friends house, and some drunk gets up on the coffee table and whips it out, preparing to pee on the playtendo box.  We'd rather get the problem maker out than end the party. 

If you're in the chatroom, don't say anything you wouldn't say without one of us standing behind you slapping a monkeywrench into our hand.  We do not want to go all George Orwell and start keeping logs of every post in chat, nor do we want to babysit, we don't want to be bossy bossy boss man.  But we have to keep chat friendly, safe, and fun.  So if somebody goes to politics or is just acting nasty and trying to pick a fight, please tell us.  You can PM any of the mods, if we're online (and not at work) we'll be on it like ugly on an ape. 

If chat keeps smelling south of cheese, it'll get lopped off and we don't want that. 

Offline Shecky

• Warden
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 07:07:55 PM »
'Zackly. Which is why we'd prefer to get problem individuals fixed up pronto, so it doesn't GET to DEFCON X.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 07:08:25 PM »
Don't worry, I totally agree with you guys. This place just wouldn't we the same if everybody got to run their mouths about everything. Only the fun and harmless stuff. I just love your wording...firm but funny. ;)

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 07:10:45 PM »
Wait I thought the chat room was going to be driven out to vegas, shot in the back of the head, and dumped into the foundation of a new hotel if it got bad.

??? I'm all confused now.
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline Shecky

• Warden
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 07:13:43 PM »
Wait I thought the chat room was going to be driven out to vegas, shot in the back of the head, and dumped into the foundation of a new hotel if it got bad.

No, because it might leak into the groundwater, and then it'd be lawsuit, lawsuit, lawsuit all day and nobody'd be able to get anything done. Our way, it doesn't bother anyone except the sea monsters, and they're coming after us anyway when we fail to stop the zombiepocalypse.

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 07:17:27 PM »
Well maybe we should just grind it up and slip it into Chinese dog food. Because your solution might preemptively wake up Cthulhu and then we'd be mega screwed.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Warden
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 07:25:41 PM »

The "Touchy Topics" Section went to sing with Elvis.  The chatroom's actually a newer feature, although we've caught the distinct aroma of peanut butter bacon bannana meth sandwiches.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 07:35:24 PM »
The "Touchy Topics" Section went to sing with Elvis. 

So I guess it's in Kansas now I think.

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 07:38:36 PM »
The "Touchy Topics" Section went to sing with Elvis.  The chatroom's actually a newer feature, although we've caught the distinct aroma of peanut butter bacon bannana meth sandwiches.

Sing with Elvis? It died on the toilet?! I thought it was given concrete shoes and pushed into the ocean?