Author Topic: Synopsis practice..(yeah, I promised to set this up. see how much I hate them?)  (Read 1389 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
THIS IS NOT FOR POSTING YOUR SYNOPSIS.  "dahhh"  Need I say it?  

This is a place to practice writing the buggers and post any blogs or websites that discuss synopsis technique.  The only thing I really understand are the basics.

• one page, single space, present tense
  • its not a character does this and then does this
  • the best ones address your main character's emotional journey
  • they MUST be written to present your author's voice.  Your personality, not only your character's personality must shine through.
  • finally they use that other side of the brain where most authors fear to tread
  • never use the plural form, cause who knows how to spell or pronounce it...

So how can we practice?  With movies (good or bad) I guess.  This isn't a place to post & ignore. I hope someone picks up my synopsis (admittedly quickly written and stinks) and improves it!  Or post your own and let us know if it's okay to edit yours.  My favorite synopsis quote was from neurovore I think..."If I could have written my 400,000 word mss in 400 words, I would have."  (paraphrased)

There are no rights and wrongs here, except the Sword of Damocles is over all our heads if we want to get an agent...  It's all a journey after all.  Start with a two sentence premise for the movie and then follow with the synopsis.  

Of course, so far I've found agents that haven't requested the g** d*** awful, scary, crazy, synopsis.

Will Smith's Karate Kid was a joy that I didn't expect.  

Premise: Smart ass (more mouth than follow through) kid gets moved to China.  He's an outcast, weak, afraid, and immature as he faces the neighborhood bullies and comes out strong, mature, in possession of his inner worth and maybe the girl too.

Synopsis:  Okay... procrastinating... I'll be back.  Time for real writing.  Proceed without me or start this one for me...  thanks!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 02:37:53 PM by meg_evonne »
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
How does a synopsis differ from a cover letter?
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
Your query letter contains maybe 2 paragraphs that are a teaser, something like the back of the book jacket would read.

A synopsis must be a complete plot.  No, you can't withhold the ending in the hopes that it'll make the agent want to read the whole thing.  ;)  Most agents will say that the purpose of the synopsis is so the agent can be sure in a quick read that the author is capable of writing a complete plot.  Anything can sound good for a couple of paragraphs, but the synopsis will show the agent (theoretically) if the wheels come off somewhere in the middle and it turns into a big mess.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
Ahh, thanks.  Anyone know of a site where we can find examples of successful ones?
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Yes. Ill look em up also there is an agent that runs query contests regulary. 
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess