Author Topic: Accountability, author's timecard, word count written, feeling lonely out there?  (Read 43936 times)

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
  • Wile E. Coyote. Suuuuper Genius
    • View Profile
    • Luke Green's Storefront
hmm, I don't keep a good word count....

Wrote about 2.5k yesterday for a $15 "write me a fanfiction about the Simpsons women being hungry" commission

Wrote some on my Bystander novel

Last project that I finished was Zodiacs, which came to two books at about 120k words over three months while working as a teacher.

And been writing a bit of fanfic but currently slowed down
Thrythlind Stories and Games: http://Http://thryth.webs.com
Original Fiction: Bystander, Greenwater, Zodiacs, Choice and Consequences
Fan Fiction: Chi and Chakra, Divine Blood, others
Games: The Unnamed System, Lycan Life
Fan Art
Blog on Writing Technique and occasional rants

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Revision, revision, revision.  I'm now about 2/3s of the way through the revision from 3rd close to 1st POV.  I hadn't touched it the entire time I was at a writer's camp.  End result?

I need to finish the POV shift.  It is far superior to the 3rd close POV. THEN as a result of my two weeks working on revision concepts--I now have to revise for two areas of concern to spiff up from what I learned.  1.  A much harder revision on anything that is only slightly off cliche.  I can do better.  Then 2. I want to pinpoint areas where I can have my Main Character react with more emotion and interior dialog to warm her up even more...

Thank God, that offer by the editor to review my full manuscript did not have a time limit on it. I know that she would prefer the new effort that I'm going to put into it.  

Finally, since I read aloud well, one suggestion was to have someone else read it for me on tape so I can hear where they are stumbling over the small glitches.  My poor son.  But he owes me! :-)
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Revision, revision, revision.  I'm now about 2/3s of the way through the revision from 3rd close to 1st POV.  I hadn't touched it the entire time I was at a writer's camp.  End result?
I need to finish the POV shift.  It is far superior to the 3rd close POV.

Oh, very glad to hear it.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
Printed out 400 pages today.

Ran out of ink and swore a lot.  275 to go.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
pages printed, manuscript sent out.

Two new chapters of 8,000 words in total written in the last 24 hours.

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
  • Wile E. Coyote. Suuuuper Genius
    • View Profile
    • Luke Green's Storefront
Finished 2 chapters of vampire TF story for vampire site (no address since it's a NC-17 site), so around 6k words there
Finished Bystander novel draft about 5k words there (71k for the book)
started on the "Hungry" fic someone asked me to write for them, 1k words there

12k words all told

since...about 2pm yesterday
Thrythlind Stories and Games: http://Http://thryth.webs.com
Original Fiction: Bystander, Greenwater, Zodiacs, Choice and Consequences
Fan Fiction: Chi and Chakra, Divine Blood, others
Games: The Unnamed System, Lycan Life
Fan Art
Blog on Writing Technique and occasional rants

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
4.5 hours work done. Heading to bed. Daylight hours went to my grand-daughter.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
Repass on those 8,000 words, fixed a bit of information-pacing that was not working, which added probably another couple of hundred words all told and 1500 more words done.  Which puts this particular project over the 30k mark.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
2.5 hours this morning. More tonight. In the groove.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
Repass on those 8,000 words, fixed a bit of information-pacing that was not working, which added probably another couple of hundred words all told and 1500 more words done.  Which puts this particular project over the 30k mark.

...make that "over the 35k mark"...

i have a convention weekend after next, so trying to get ahead here.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 04:42:18 AM by neurovore »

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
3/4 of the way through the last revision.  Night all.  I figure I'll be through, if I'm lucky this weekend.  At least that is the plan, then I've got to approach the whole thing again with some specific questions to be answered.  I don't think I'll wait though, NO I will wait until I'm finished.  Then I'll print and send off.  If I don't chicken out and find another reason to procrastinate...

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Draft DONE. It's a 150,000 word monster that's ugly and messy in so many ways, but it's finally off my back. It's great to have some closure after all these months. I'll let it stew for awhile before I even think about looking at it for revisions. In the meantime it's onto brainstorming for the sequel.
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Draft DONE. It's a 150,000 word monster that's ugly and messy in so many ways, but it's finally off my back. It's great to have some closure after all these months. I'll let it stew for awhile before I even think about looking at it for revisions. In the meantime it's onto brainstorming for the sequel.

IT"S PARTY TIME.  That is super.  I know how good it feels to get it out and down. I know they are supposed to be 'shitty first drafts' but it's so exhilarating to get to that last period.  I used to find myself writing until I mentally had the draft finished.  So much more challenging when you actually get to type it!

Oops, and one good hour this am and probably three or four tonight.  Writing now...

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
IT"S PARTY TIME.  That is super.  I know how good it feels to get it out and down. I know they are supposed to be 'shitty first drafts' but it's so exhilarating to get to that last period.  I used to find myself writing until I mentally had the draft finished.  So much more challenging when you actually get to type it!

Oops, and one good hour this am and probably three or four tonight.  Writing now...

And there was some partying last night. Everything's better with beer--laser tag included.  ;D
But now it's back to work.
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
beer and laser tag?  That had to be a wild combo.  Glad you celebrated!