Author Topic: This is a NO SPOILERS zone  (Read 40104 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
This is a NO SPOILERS zone
« on: May 25, 2006, 06:08:09 PM »
This board does NOT allow spoilers of any kind to be posted.  Please direct any spoiler topics to the appropriate spoilers board (found here). 

The general rule when determining whether or not something is a spoiler is this:

• Did it come out this year?
  • Is it from a book that is currently only available in hardcover form?
  • Do I have any doubts about whether or not it's a spoiler?

If you answered "yes" to ANY of the above questions, it counts as a spoiler.  Take it to the correct board.

Moderators will not take kindly to anyone ignoring this policy, willfully or on accident.  Post thoughtfully.

Added April 6, 2007:
We now have a spoiler tag; use it whenever you're posting something with a small amount of spoiler content on a non-spoiler board, or if you're posting an "off-topic spoiler" for a particular spoiler board (for example, if you talk book spoilers on the TV show spoiler board, the book stuff should be inside a spoiler tag).

Spoiler tags when used properly will look like this:

(click to show/hide)

To activate the code, use the radiation symbol in the posting toolbar, or use the tags SPOILER & /SPOILER inside square brackets [].

It may also be a good idea to state what the spoiler is from, so the audience knows whether they can proceed or not.

Please make sure to "preview" your posts and make sure that the spoiler tag is working correctly. 
It breaks down to this:
ON-TOPIC SPOILERS ON A SPOILER BOARD: Do not need the tag.

OFF-TOPIC SPOILERS ON A SPOILER BOARD (e.g., book spoilers in a TV spoiler forum): Need the tag.

IN-LINE SPOILERS IN A NON-SPOILER THREAD: Need the tag. Note: This supercedes the “No Spoilers at all” rule…if it’s in the tag, you’re ok. But it has to remain in the tag.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 07:38:46 PM by Mickey Finn »
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Phil Boswell

• Conversationalist
  • I for one welcome my new Feline Overlords…
    • View Profile
    • User:Phil Boswell @ Wikipedia
Re: This is a NO SPOILERS zone
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 10:08:57 PM »
Any chance of enforcing this while the rest of the world is waiting for the episodes to arrive?

We have a child board for discussing the episodes as they're shown: could people please confine direct discussion to that board?
Phil

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 10:12:42 PM »
Phil, you must have missed Iago and Mickey moving boat loads of threads into the other forum earlier today.  Older members aren't used to having another forum to post in, and brand new members probably don't read the notices.  The mods can't move everything as it gets posted, but they're trying.
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline Phil Boswell

• Conversationalist
  • I for one welcome my new Feline Overlords…
    • View Profile
    • User:Phil Boswell @ Wikipedia
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 09:50:44 AM »
Well, it's not working.

Sorry, if people can't be more disciplined about this, I and many others from the UK are simply going to have to stay away until we get a chance to see for ourselves. Bearing in mind that the show is going to be on Sky One, not everybody will actually be able to see it, so we might well be losing some people for a longer time than just a couple of weeks.

I had hoped that the "poll" thread, started by Iago himself, might be OK to just see what people thought. However even that thread is packed with spoilers. Obviously people can't be bothered to read the notices at the top of the board, and they can't be bothered to move to a easily-accessible child board for their discussion.

I am very disheartened by all this.
Phil

Offline Hazelip

• Conversationalist
  • I was born at a very early age...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 11:24:36 AM »
So...what the hell is this at the top of the forum?

This is a SPOILER OKAY board for discussing the first season of the Dresden Files TV show, airing starting January 21st, 2007.

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 01:56:01 PM »

This is a SPOILER OKAY board for discussing the first season of the Dresden Files TV show, airing starting January 21st, 2007.
That is the Description of the child board. If you click on the words "Season One" in blue a nifty invention of the internet called a hyperlink will magically transport you to the spoiler ok board.
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 04:45:10 PM »
I've edited the description of the Season One child-board to make it clearer that it's information for a different board. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Hazelip

• Conversationalist
  • I was born at a very early age...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 09:39:21 PM »

That is the Description of the child board. If you click on the words "Season One" in blue a nifty invention of the internet called a hyperlink will magically transport you to the spoiler ok board.

Sorry, the color of the link wasn't clear to me that it was another link.  I'm new here, and unfamiliar with this particular message board software's layout of forums.  I thought it was a header for this forum.

Offline FlaGemini

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 01:59:10 AM »
This board does NOT allow spoilers of any kind to be posted.  Please direct any spoiler topics to the appropriate spoilers board (found here). 

The general rule when determining whether or not something is a spoiler is this:

If you answered "yes" to ANY of the above questions, it counts as a spoiler.  Take it to the correct board.

Moderators will not take kindly to anyone ignoring this policy, willfully or on accident.  Post thoughtfully.

Okay, I'm a bit confused.  It's a spoiler if you answer yes to one of the above questions? 

Ummmm  This whole section is about the TV show and that just started....   this year....

I never ever saw a TV show in hardcover.  And this forum is about the TV show.  To my mind that means if you're on a forum about a TV show and you are talking about a book....  You're in the wrong place.

Let's see....  In a forum about a brand new television show, hence it came out this year, so, pretty much, I can't really talk about anything on this forum.  Why are there  any posts allowed here, since they're all, by the above definition, spoilers. So, hey, anyone looking forward to the Stanley Cup playoffs?

Fla{}

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 02:06:01 AM »
Well, I was going to throw out another sarcastic remark like my previous one, but seeing as you're new, I'll give you a pass.  This is forum is for general discussion about the show. If there is any plot specific points about the episodes or arcs of the show that are spoilery, take it to the season one child board. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 03:32:54 AM by jtaylor »

Offline FlaGemini

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 03:17:24 AM »
Well, I was going to throuw out another scarastic remark like my brevious one, but seeing as you're new, I'll give you a pass. ;) This is forun is for general discussion about the show. If there is any plot specific points about the episodes or arcs of the show that are spoilery, take it to the season one child board.

Yes, I am new to the board.  Yes, I like to do things properly, having posted on boards for almost 20 years.  (Yes, Virginia, there were boards before the internet.)

Had Iago posted a more specific definition of what was considered a spoiler than the three guidelines he did mention, I wouldn't have had confusion cloud my mind. After all, it's supposed to be the defining post regarding this subject. I replied to his exact post, quoting it in its entirety. Then I quoted point each a second time, explaining why I found them either non-applicable or simply confusing. His post and your clarification are significantly different.   

Many people, particularly when new to a board, post honest questions and like to have straightforward answers.  You know the sort; the ones that make someone feel respected and invited, welcome to be part of the online community. Sarcasm doesn't help make new readers feel all warm and fuzzy about posting to your board. 

A bit of advice: when going for the sarcastic riposte, try to avoid spelling mistakes. Five, counting the cute coining of the word "spoilery" (but seeing as you are a fellow geek and this is the internet, I'll return the favor and give you a pass. ;) ) So make that four spelling mistakes in three sentences, which would really not get a passing grade in any English class I ever attended.  I was impressed by three in the first sentence alone, though. Sarcasm only works when you look smarter while using it.  Spelling errors sort of defeat that image, don't you think?

Fla{}

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 03:30:33 AM »
They were not spelling mistakes, they were typographical errors. I have a mild form of dyslexia that makes it very easy for me to transpose letters in word unless I give it my full concentration. The word spoilery has been used by this board and it is part of our jargon.   I didn't bother doing my standard error checking, and was trying to be nice and actually answer your question, which was already discussed earlier in this thread. I'm sorry if that offends you.

Welcome to the boards. You're off to a grand start.

Offline FlaGemini

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 03:47:14 AM »
They were not spelling mistakes, they were typographical errors. I have a mild form of dyslexia that makes it very easy for me to transpose letters in word unless I give it my full concentration. The word spoilery has been used by this board and it is part of our jargon.   I didn't bother doing my standard error checking, and was trying to be nice and actually answer your question, which was already discussed earlier in this thread. I'm sorry if that offends you.

Welcome to the boards. You're off to a grand start.

No, actually, my appology is in order here, I have seen, read, and posted on so many boards that look at a new poster like they were some poor village idiot who wandered into a discussion by the village elders that I take exception, too easily at times, to sarcasm.  I am a nice person, or at least, try to be.  I was honestly confused by the wording of Iago's post. You have to admit, it is confusing to mention "hardcover" in a post about a television show.  I guess it's a sort of standard "No Spoilers" warning he has on file and just cut and pasted it, as it is pertinent to most boards dealing with books.

I'm not offended, I stand corrected.  I am man enough to admit when I jump to conclusions about someone's true meaning.  I did.  I'm sorry.  You're right.

I also, being the geek that I am, read around typo's so regularly that they have to stand out and hit me in the forehead with a baseball bat before I notice them anymore. (There goes that career as a proof-reader.)  I have to admit, I cheat on my posts by cut and pasting into Word and spellchecking....   I'm not that good anymore without it.  Too many years out of University.

Pax?

Fla{}

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 01:53:06 PM »
I also, being the geek that I am, read around typo's so regularly that they have to stand out and hit me in the forehead with a baseball bat before I notice them anymore. (There goes that career as a proof-reader.)  I have to admit, I cheat on my posts by cut and pasting into Word and spellchecking....   I'm not that good anymore without it.  Too many years out of University.

Consider Firefox.  They have a built-in spell checker!

Offline FlaGemini

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 10:57:58 AM »

Consider Firefox.  They have a built-in spell checker!

LOL...   I use Firefox...  And didn't know that...   Even an old geek can learn new tricks.

Fla{}