Author Topic: A note regarding linking images.  (Read 103426 times)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Warden
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
A note regarding linking images.
« on: June 15, 2010, 04:44:32 PM »
We've got a lot of pictures we sling around here, what with the kittens, facepalms, and subjects of our Geek Lust.  Nothing wrong with that as long as we stay PG-13.  But I've noticed that often the images are hotlinked from whatever fun page we found them.  This can cause problems for wherever we got the images from.  The owners of those pages end up having bandwidth used by people who aren't even going on their site, just looking at the pics from the site here on ours.  Depending on their server setup, traffic, etc, this can bog things down for them.  And it makes them say bad, bad, words.

It's good manners to save the image, the upload it to whatever photo hosting site you prefer, and then post the image here for all to enjoy, cringe, laugh or weep at.  

Images by  http://chonastock.deviantart.com/  be sure to check out more of their work.  Especially if you like blue girls and star trek.  Or girls with swords.

If you right click the image and look at the properties, you'll see I'm using photobucket to host this picture of Geek Wonderment.

Then I've gone and put a link to the artist's site so all can make wonder and joy at them.  

If you post an artist's image as I have, and by that I mean art, please give credit where credit's due.  We're not talking a screengrab from Farscape you snatched from IMDB, but something somebody made, drew, shot, whatver.  Most photographers and geek artists don't mind if you show their stuff, just provide a link to the source page so people can come see the rest of their work (and maybe buy something.)  We artists love to know that people look at our stuff, we just want people to know it's our stuff their looking at.  And then we want them to look at the rest of our stuff, and maybe leave a little positive feedback.  Most people posting art on the interwebs don't mind sharing as long as you give them credit and don't grinch their bandwidth.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 05:20:23 PM by paynesgrey »

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: A note regarding linking images.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 05:42:27 PM »
Especially if you like blue girls

Who DOESN'T like blue girls!?!?!   ;D
~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Rest well Md.  You are dearly missed.

Offline Shecky

• Warden
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 05:52:25 PM »
Yup. Andorian babeishness FTW.

And yeah, linking to photo-hosting sites is definitely more intarwebz-friendly, since those sites are DESIGNED for traffic.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Wizwad

• Seriously?
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 12:39:29 AM »
nothing to see here, move along.  Mods - can you delete this?  Cheers!

*edit by Shecky* NO! IT WILL STAY HERE FOR ALL ETERNITY! MWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA*hackcough* Sorry, addled brain from summer cold went all weird. I'll take this down as soon as I'm done being amused by it. :D

*edit by Wizwad*

:P

Bloody dwarves!  It's always the short ones you have to watch out for!

Actually, I posted an addition and then noticed PG had already covered it and it wasn't a clarification at all.  My excuse is that I should be in bed as it's nearing 2am here, and last night was also rather short. :)

*another edit, most of a year later* Yeah, still amused by this. Carry on.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:12:29 PM by Unsexy Shecky »
Life  isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain. ~  Unknown

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 07:40:31 PM »
Who DOESN'T like blue girls!?!?!   ;D

I'd rather see them happy...
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Warden
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 03:00:52 AM »
Compromise:  Happy blue girls singing the blues?

Offline Madd

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 07:16:42 PM »
We've got a lot of pictures we sling around here, what with the kittens, facepalms, and subjects of our Geek Lust.  Nothing wrong with that as long as we stay PG-13.  But I've noticed that often the images are hotlinked from whatever fun page we found them.  This can cause problems for wherever we got the images.  The owners of those pages end up having bandwidth used by people who aren't even going on their site, just looking at the pics from the site here on ours.  Depending on their server setup, traffic, etc, this can bog things down for them.  And it makes them say bad, bad, words.

It's good manners to save the image, the upload it to whatever photo hosting site you prefer, and then post the image here for all to enjoy, cringe, laugh or weep at.  

Images by  http://chonastock.deviantart.com/  be sure to check out more of their work.  Especially if you like blue girls and star trek.  Or girls with swords.

If you right click the image and look at the properties, you'll see I'm using photobucket to host this picture of Geek Wonderment.

Then I've gone and put a link to the artist's site so all can make wonder and joy at them.  

If you post an artist's image as I have, and by that I mean art, please give credit where credit's due.  We're not talking a screengrab from Farscape you snatched from IMDB, but something somebody made, drew, shot, whatver.  Most photographers and geek artists don't mind if you show their stuff, just provide a link to the source page so people can come see the rest of their work (and maybe buy something.)  We artists love to know that people look at our stuff, we just want people to know it's our stuff their looking at.  And then we want them to look at the rest of our stuff, and maybe leave a little positive feedback.  Most people posting art on the interwebs don't mind sharing as long as you give them credit and don't grinch their bandwidth.

I tried to read your post but my eyes were stuck to the blue girl.

Offline El Diablo

• Posty McPostington
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 03:18:39 PM »

Compromise:  Happy blue girls singing the blues?
Blue girls and MUSIC!!!! http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/jimbutcheronline.com/bb/
//Sings
"If you've been messaged to ignore me clap your hands!"
:)

knnn said "All must now bow in presence of your Dresden-Fu."

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 03:55:52 PM »
Note to PG - and this is why the mods LOCK the threads after making an announcement..bwhahahahahahahahahahahahah!  8)
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Paynesgrey

• Warden
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 04:36:54 PM »
Oh, I don't mind the chatter, as long as people read the first part.

Which reminds me why I left it unlocked... To see what ideas/preferences people have for photo servers. 

I've been using Photobucket, simply because it's the first free one I found.  For those that use a photo hostey thing, which one do you use and is there any particular advantage to it?

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 04:44:02 PM »
 ;) :D
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Madd

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 06:19:41 AM »
Oh, I don't mind the chatter, as long as people read the first part.

Which reminds me why I left it unlocked... To see what ideas/preferences people have for photo servers. 

I've been using Photobucket, simply because it's the first free one I found.  For those that use a photo hostey thing, which one do you use and is there any particular advantage to it?

I've only ever used photobucket, so I can't really speak in terms of comparison.

Some pros:

1)  Intuitive and easy to use.

2)  Some basic photo-editing options.

3)  Well known, fairly trustworthy.

Offline judalea

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 02:22:37 AM »
I have used Flickr, the only problem I found was, while it's free, you only have a limit of 200 images (I've been told that the older images are stored, just not visible). Of course, if you subscribe, there is more storage. So consequently I have also joined photobucket.

This thread is very appropriate, because I just checked fantasticfiction and according to them, the publishing date of Fool Moon Vol 1 (graphic novel) is 2035. link: (I took a screen shot before they correct it)

http://s763.photobucket.com/albums/xx277/judalea/?action=view&current=jimbutcher-glitch.jpg

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 02:49:31 AM »
Hey Paynes,
    If you've taken a screen grab and then put it on photobucket then linked it in to your posts.  Where do you put the link so people can see the original stuff???  I use computers I don't really know all the ins and outs of them.

Offline Hawthorn

• Seriously?
  • Wreakin' havoc on the JB forum since 2007.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 03:15:55 PM »
Well what a lot of us do instead is if you just want to show the picture, you use the images html tags (which is right above the :) in the list of smileys and put the link to the picture in it, even if it's not photobucket.  If you want to show the original site then I imagine you can just link it.

"Well you see, I'm on this forum where I talk to other people on the internet-"
"Pedophiles."
"Yeah, that's what you think, but-"
"Pedophiles."
"No they're actually-"
"Pedophiles."
"Jesus Christ never mind."

-DC