Author Topic: Catch Value  (Read 1686 times)

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Catch Value
« on: June 14, 2010, 05:24:44 PM »
When, on YS185 the rules state
Catches cannot reduce the cost of your Toughness powers below -1.
does that mean that the total cost of your Toughness powers must be at least -1, or that each individual power must cost at least -1?  The reason I'm asking is that I have a -3 catch (Fire, uncommon knowledge) and don't really think my high concept justifies Supernatural Toughness/Recovery.  Since the total cost of my Toughness powers will still be -1 that seems to fly, but I can't help thinking that it doesn't, since it would mean that the cost of one of the powers was -0, and the other is -1.  Help?
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
Re: Catch Value
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 05:30:47 PM »
The rule is simple. No Powers for free. To my understanding the catch is a global refund that _CAN_ get used up by appropriate toughness powers, but none of them can be reduced to anything below -1 refresh cost.
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 05:52:24 PM »
The Catch substracts from the total of the toughness powers. That total can never be below 1.

So,

Supernatural toughness -4
Catch +3
Total -1
-----------------------

Inhuman Toughness -2
Inhuman Recovery -2
Catch +3
Total -1
--------------------------

that's how i understand it.

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 05:54:17 PM »
The Catch substracts from the total of the toughness powers. That total can never be below 1.

So,

Supernatural toughness -4
Catch +3
Total -1
-----------------------

Inhuman Toughness -2
Inhuman Recovery -2
Catch +3
Total -1
--------------------------

that's how i understand it.

seconded lol
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 05:57:28 PM »
Yeah that's what I meant
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 06:08:47 PM »
Okay, cool, that's what I thought too, I just wanted to make sure that the cost of 2 total powers could be -1.

Of course, now I'm thinking of changing it, but that's a topic for another post.
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.