Author Topic: BB005 - Doomboxes and Deadly Doorknobs  (Read 22033 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: BB005 - Doomboxes and Deadly Doorknobs
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 08:41:10 PM »
If I didn't have two TV shows to talk about, the RPG would have gotten more of a feature.  But as it is, the show was 40 minutes long, which is near to my maximum length limit (I won't exceed 45 minutes if I can help it).  Rob will be on in the future to talk more about the game, regardless.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

ToddM326

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 02:58:06 PM »
I really liked the podcast, and agree that you are getting better.

I like the use of sound bytes and guests.  I, frankly, don't want to listen to a 40 minute monologue, so the use of interviews and limited sound clips (from TV, the audio books, etc) are a nice addition.

Thanks!

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 04:42:49 PM »
I, frankly, don't want to listen to a 40 minute monologue, so the use of interviews and limited sound clips (from TV, the audio books, etc) are a nice addition.

I don't want a 40 minute monologue either.  Whenever a show is just-me, it's going to fall closer to the 20 minute mark.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline ShadowInTheDarkness

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 10:38:02 PM »
That was a really great podcast!!  ;D
You guys made a lot of great points.  My friend, who watches the series and read the books, was complaining that her one gripe was that there wasn't enough snark.  But you're right - skull Bob on TV making dirty comments would be really skeevy.
Also, I agree with you that the special effects are really good - even though there's no huge bang.
 :D
"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Allan Poe
“There is a limit to the sky, but music can be formed and reformed forever without repetition. Music is infinite.” - xjustxn0thingx (livejournal)

Offline Margo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 06:18:47 AM »
Well, now I know what a podcast is.  (Very new apprentice.)

Yes, there are differences between book and tv.  First, I wondered if JB had intended for tv writers to explore two or three years before first book.  That way they wouldn't step on his plot line until he could advance it further in the books.  Your podcast explained pilot had to be redone, so now that makes sense.

I'm surprised both of you think Harry is like book Harry.  Book Harry is more deadpan, geeky, "shambles" when he walks.  TV Harry is more wisecracking gumshoe, with a *very* mobile face, mercurial, with shiny dark eyes.  I think they are alike in humor and deep desire to avoid sentimentality.  It's a good translation from book to tv, but translation is not same as original.

Bob is great, Bob is wonderful, Bob is a huge improvement over the leering smartass skull in book.  To have a talking skull would be too cartoony.  Where does this endless stream of British (he is Brit, right?) character actors come from?  My husband has not read the books, doesn't like the show much, but thinks Bob is great.  And what a gig!  He can be over the top and still be perfect.

Eewe! Did Harry have to fall for redheaded werewolf?  SUCH a chump where women are concerned--just like the book.

Big challenge: who could they possibly cast as Michael? As Lasciel?  Wow!  Can't wait!

Offline CarolM

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob, Forever with us
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2007, 06:52:59 AM »
Well, now I know what a podcast is.  (Very new apprentice.)
 Where does this endless stream of British (he is Brit, right?) character actors come from? 
Strangely enough, most of the British character actors come from Britain, where there is a certain theatrical tradition, you know Shakespeare, Marlowe, Pinter etc..., not to mention the Old Vic, the New Vic, and the Royal Shakespeare Company. ;)
Though I must admit my favourite British character actor, Spike in Angel and Buffy was played by an American (James Marsters) AND he got the accent well, (with the help of Tony Head who is really British ;D)
Carol

Bob: in our hearts forever.

Offline ButMadNNW

• Conversationalist
  • Trilling the Wire in the Blood (& some psych.)
    • View Profile
    • The Ladies of the Shadow Gallery
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2007, 09:50:52 PM »
<snip> TV Harry ... with a *very* mobile face, mercurial, with shiny dark eyes.

....................*swoon*.......... I'm sorry, you were saying? :D (I have to "fangirl" once in a while, or my head would explode.)

Bob is great, Bob is wonderful, Bob <Bob Bob Bob. LOL> Where does this endless stream of British (he is Brit, right?) character actors come from?

Well, that particular "British character actor" came from Kentucky. LOL! I love it. First, I finally get into House - Englishman Hugh Laurie doing an American accent. Then I find Dresden, where not only do we have Englishman Paul Blackthorne doing an American accent, but Kentucky native Terrence Mann doing an English accent! Enough to give one a headache if one thinks about it too hard. (I had an instant like for Paul. I shouldn't have been surprised when I found out he's English, considering I have a weak spot for them.)

Strangely enough, most of the British character actors come from Britain, where there is a certain theatrical tradition, you know Shakespeare, Marlowe, Pinter etc..., not to mention the Old Vic, the New Vic, and the Royal Shakespeare Company. ;)

*sniggles*

Though I must admit my favourite British character actor, Spike in Angel and Buffy was played by an American (James Marsters) AND he got the accent well, (with the help of Tony Head who is really British ;D)

I agree. I love Spike and was slightly devastated when I found out James Marsters is American. And then, to rub salt in it, I found out "Wesley" was played by an American. Sometimes it's better not to know. ;)

(Edited to correct Terrence's home state.)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 03:42:47 PM by ButMadNNW »
"I am but mad north-northwest..." ~ Hamlet
"Words will always retain their power." ~ V
"The bag is really devoid of cats!" ~ Harry
"As to errors of opinion, though I am not yet convinced of any, yet I nowhere pretend to infallibility." ~ Daniel Defoe

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2007, 04:16:18 AM »
I agree. I love Spike and was slightly devastated when I found out James Marsters is American. And then, to rub salt in it, I found out "Wesley" was played by an American. Sometimes it's better not to know. ;)

Speaking of Americans playing Brits on Buffy, I should have made a recording of Juliet Landau's regular speaking voice at the Buffy panel at NY Comic Con.  It's the most un-Drusilla-like voice I've ever heard!