Author Topic: BB005 - Doomboxes and Deadly Doorknobs  (Read 23501 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
BB005 - Doomboxes and Deadly Doorknobs
« on: February 09, 2007, 07:39:03 PM »
Download the podcast here

(40min 30sec) Fred returns to talk about the first two episodes of the TV show, hints at some upcoming news about White Night, fails to get Jim on the line due to a deadline, and touches on his experience at Dreamation 2007.  Plus, he sits down with Dresden Files RPG co-author Rob Donoghue to talk about the Dresden Files on TV.

The Music:
Gaming:
Dresden Files:
Conversation with Rob Donoghue:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 10:13:39 PM by iago »
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline CBeilby

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: BB005 - Doomboxes and Deadly Doorknobs
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 08:14:44 PM »
Fred, check your BBCode.  The link to download the 'cast is broken, redirecting to http://www.w3.org/Protocols/

Offline Hawkfu

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 08:34:43 PM »
Wow, I haven't been thrilled with the first two episodes - didn't hate them or the changes necessarily - just thought they were week. BUT, when you said that bit about Babylon 5 that stopped me in my tracks. The first season of Babylon 5 is pretty weak - there is some good stuff for sure, and it lays down important ground work for the future seasons - but yeah, it's weak. I tend to forget that when I think about Babylon 5 - so, excellent point!

But I'd watch the show regardless. I'm just a big Harry geek through and through.

wlg

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 10:13:58 PM »
Fred, check your BBCode.  The link to download the 'cast is broken, redirecting to http://www.w3.org/Protocols/

Link's fixed.  Thanks!
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 10:15:49 PM »
Wow, I haven't been thrilled with the first two episodes - didn't hate them or the changes necessarily - just thought they were week. BUT, when you said that bit about Babylon 5 that stopped me in my tracks. The first season of Babylon 5 is pretty weak - there is some good stuff for sure, and it lays down important ground work for the future seasons - but yeah, it's weak. I tend to forget that when I think about Babylon 5 - so, excellent point!

Oh, trust me, I have a lot of fondness for season 1 all the same ... but yeah, it did not open as strong as I would have wanted. :)

And honestly I suspect we won't have to wait for all that many more episodes before we see something awesome, with the Dresden TV show...  but we'll have to see.  My hopes for Hair of the Dog are up, at least.
Fred Hicks

Offline Hawkfu

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 11:46:41 PM »

Oh, trust me, I have a lot of fondness for season 1 all the same ... but yeah, it did not open as strong as I would have wanted. :)

And honestly I suspect we won't have to wait for all that many more episodes before we see something awesome, with the Dresden TV show...  but we'll have to see.  My hopes for Hair of the Dog are up, at least.

It's funny actually, I had a friend telling me that I needed to watch Babylon 5 and that it was a "fantastic" show. So I tuned in and it was a first season episode called...<pause for a quick internet search>...Infection. That's the one with an archaeologist that smuggles ancient artifacts onto the station, unleashing a living weapon. I seriously hated this episode. I thought my friend was crazy. The next time I saw it was in the second season because of Bruce Boxleitner - it was the techno-mage episode and that hooked me. I did go back and watch the first season later and appreciated it more. It became one of my all time favorite shows.
But Dresden - I did think the second episode was an approvement over the first. If each episode keeps getting better then this will shape up to be a fantastic show.

Here's hoping!

wlg

Offline bobtheskull

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 11:50:36 PM »
Good podcast.  I got to the end of the show before I realized it.  

A once a week show might be a bit much anyway, even if you could easily dedicate 20% of your time.  You might even feel rushed in preparation.  I'd rather listen to a less frequent show over one that feels like work.

Just curious though.  I'd noted the doorknob bite scene in another thread myself.  Are our minds working alike here?  I know I didn't watch the show as soon as most people did.  Someone else may have mentioned it before I did.  Or was your opinion on the scene changed by my ripping on it?

Wait, does Fred even read the forum here?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 11:52:41 PM by bobtheskull »

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 12:00:29 AM »
Just curious though.  I'd noted the doorknob bite scene in another thread myself.  Are our minds working alike here?  I know I didn't watch the show as soon as most people did.  Someone else may have mentioned it before I did.  Or was your opinion on the scene changed by my ripping on it?

They're more working alike than anything else.  I didn't based my opinion on anything I read on the forum.

Yes, I do. :)
Fred Hicks

Offline BigMama

• Posty McPostington
  • Bemused and Beguiled
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 12:34:08 AM »
Another interesting podcast. Fred, you seem to be getting more comfortable as you go along. A nice interview. :)
Words in the heart cannot be taken. Dorfl

Offline bobtheskull

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 01:00:50 AM »
Just curious though.  I'd noted the doorknob bite scene in another thread myself.  Are our minds working alike here?  I know I didn't watch the show as soon as most people did.  Someone else may have mentioned it before I did.  Or was your opinion on the scene changed by my ripping on it?

They're more working alike than anything else.  I didn't based my opinion on anything I read on the forum.

Yes, I do. :)

Well, it's not like I was looking for credit or anything.  I'm just happy I'm not the only one who didn't like the doorknob bit.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 05:57:11 AM »
Well, it's not like I was looking for credit or anything.  I'm just happy I'm not the only one who didn't like the doorknob bit.

It was specifically called out by Entertainment Weekly as a "child-obvious plot point" weeks before the episode actually aired.  That doorknob's a problem all over, even for folks who like the show (like me). :)
Fred Hicks

Offline bobtheskull

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 06:24:48 AM »

It was specifically called out by Entertainment Weekly as a "child-obvious plot point" weeks before the episode actually aired.  That doorknob's a problem all over, even for folks who like the show (like me). :)

Ah, well, I never read reviews.  I don't buy the newspaper, nor do I get such things as Entertainment Weekly.  Those things are good ways to ruin tv.

I never trust a man who says he doesn't watch tv. 

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 12:13:36 PM »
Darn, does that mean I have to cancel the mob that was going to decend on Fred'a house and demand a new podcast?  ;D I mean, you know how expensive torches and pitchforks are these days??  :P

I'll give it a listen ASAP.

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 07:58:55 PM »
Very good episode, Fred!  It was understandable that Jim couldn't add his voice (I wondered about that when I saw the post about his looming deadline), and I greatly enjoyed the replacement you brought on board. 

What you guys said made a lot of sense, and I liked the comparison with Babylon 5.  The X-Files is another show that took several episodes to gain its footing.  I also liked your use of audio clips from the episode (for obvious reasons), especially the Pervy!Bob montage, then Rob's comment about "the adventures of Harry and the dirty old man."

Also, being the great Molly fan I am, I would definitely read/watch a Michael spinoff.  That would be so cool.  Too bad Jim has so many other awesome ideas for new series, and he wouldn't find the time to write it until he was at least 274 years old. :D

Offline ruford42

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 07:26:47 PM »
I'm a huge fan of the books, and likewise beginning to be a fan of both the television series and the podcasts.  I say, beginning, because I'm finding that I like the television series more and more the
further into things we get -- and of course, once I got over the initial reaction of OMG!  This isn't
the books I love!  Despite, having read months before that it would be a different storyline universe
than the books.  Stupid fanaticism. :(

However, I was disappointed by two things in the latest podcast.  A minor disappointment was the
large use of sound clips from the television show.  While they seemed to be largely in referrence to
discussion at hand.  The clips were not introduced, and as such to my stuck-in-the-mud ears,
appeared to interrupt the flow of the conversation rather than to accent or highlight it.

The second disappointment, and one which I'm anxiously awaiting to be addressed, was the lack of
information relayed reguarding the Dresden Files RPG.  Without Jim or a weekly episode, combined
with Fred's fresh gaming stories and Rob's participation -- it would have, IMNSHO, made an excellent
episode to discuss how development of the RPG is coming along beyond the conjuring of a stat sheet
for the shield bracelet.   I understand the need and desire to avoid disclosing too much about a work
in progress with the inevitable changes, copyright concerns -- not to mention keeping the public
hungry enough to still make the purchase once it's released!  Still, I think it would have been
entertaining at least to hear about what sort of scenarios have been utilized with any play testing
performed so far.