Author Topic: Sample Stunts  (Read 12887 times)

Offline Victim

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Sample Stunts
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2010, 05:52:28 AM »
Just a quick note. I've been compiling all the new stunts in the Our World book and it seems that my Rapid Fire stunt is very similar to the Blaze Away stunt on OW:221, except the latter is defined simply as "You can use any firearm to make a spray attack, even one not normally capable of doing so." I personally prefer my version as the OW one seems to broad, but thought I would point it out now that I noticed it.

Spray attacks seem inherently situational and often come 'free' on certain varieties of guns, so I can see not charging too much for the ability. 

Offline Jeckel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2010, 06:16:34 AM »
Spray attacks seem inherently situational and often come 'free' on certain varieties of guns, so I can see not charging too much for the ability. 

True, but it is also pretty tough to do a spay attack with guns that don't do it for you... but thematically I have to agree that the cost to value is fair on their version.

What I am thinking is to change my stunt to do something like, "Requires Blaze Away. On a successful spray-attack with a firearm normally incapable of doing so, gain 2 shifts to the roll."
For evil to conquer, good men need only do nothing.
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
When Scientists ask questions, Engineers build answers.

Offline Jeckel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2010, 06:40:37 AM »
I love the idea of Sure, I give up :) Two quick thoughts on it though.

Thanks, I do to. Already working up a NPC to use it in my next session. :)

1. I would change 'Deceit may replace Guns' to 'You may use your deceit skill when rolling to attack'. I'd also say it's worth noting that the stunt can only be used once in any given scene unless there is very good reason. Someone is unlikely to fall for it twice.

Done and done. I kept the wording a little more general then once a scene, but the same concept comes across.

2. I don't think you need to mention the aspect use, I think any character with this stunt should have a relevant aspect or high-concept they can use anyway and those that don't probably shouldn't get the +2 bonus. For instance 'Now you wouldn't hit a man with glasses' or 'please don't hurt me mister' or even 'argh, my{moderate consequence}, I can't move!'. A big bruiser type wouldn't be able to make someone believe without a good reason, if they have a high deceit skill they've probably got a good reason in their aspects already and if they don't then they don't deserve the +2 anyway.

I agree it is likely that a lot of characters with a high skill will have an aspect, high or otherwise, that relates to that skill, but one doesn't require the other. Either way, spending a fate point as part of a stunt is justification enough for an extra 2 shifts on a successful attack, at least in my opinion.

Offline blues.soldier

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Action Point-- Gaming from a military perspective
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2010, 11:10:49 AM »
Just a quick note. I've been compiling all the new stunts in the Our World book...

Any chance of us seeing that compiled list? It would be a great benefit to the community at large.
"What ever you do, do it for love. If you keep to that, your path will never wander so far from the light that you can never return.”--Uriel

Offline Jeckel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2010, 07:29:51 PM »
Any chance of us seeing that compiled list? It would be a great benefit to the community at large.

Ah, there is more then a chance, but not right now. Probably some time in July, but definitely not before the books are officially released, that would just seem like an abuse of the preorder pdfs. That said, I might write up a quick list of the stunt names and their page numbers to post in this thread, but it will prob be a few days, as my plate is a little full in real life. :)

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2010, 12:17:44 PM »
Here's one that might be really nice for wizards or other high discipline characters.

Zen Shooting: (Discipline) You train your Mind by way of the ancient art of Zen Shooting, using (insert Weapon here).
You may use Discipline to use one type of non automatic gun (Pistols, Rifles etc.) or archaic weapon (Bows, Crossbows, Throwing Knives, Throwing Spears etc.).

Offline evilnerf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2010, 01:27:40 PM »
Street Fighter
You can have two minor concequences you can only take when taking damage in a fistfight.

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2010, 07:24:03 PM »
"Don't Let That Go Into You" (Might)
If an enemy uses exposition immediately prior to attacking you with a edged or sharp weapon (knives, swords, spears, claws, teeth, etc.) you may sacrifice your next action to initiate a grapple (their exposition is treated as the aspect you would otherwise invoke for effect to start a grapple).

Part 2 Part 3

Notes:  This does seem pretty weak if it requires them to monologue before hand.  Maybe allow the grapple attempt to preempt the actual attack?  However, this was mostly submitted in jest and isn't meant to be taken seriously.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 07:25:57 PM by JosephKell »
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline Jeckel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2010, 05:09:21 PM »
@JosephKell

Heh, nice, gave me a good chuckle. :p

Ok, here is the Stunts Page with all the stunts from the books listed with page references. For the moment the stunt descriptions are hidden, they will be shown on the 30th of this month or a few days after. For now at least you don't have to scroll through the book trying to find the new stunts, believe me it wasn't the high-light of my life. ;)

There are also a few custom stunts in the list, and when rotation comes back around more will be added, but if you want to quickly find Your Story stunts search for YS: and for Our World stunts search for OW: as each page reference is prefixed with one of those.

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2010, 03:13:51 PM »
Working Artist
You can use your Performance skill rather than your Resorces to determine your lifestyle.

Big Sale
Requires Working Artist
Once per session you can use your Performance skill to Buy Things or make your Money Talk. 
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2010, 05:34:59 PM »
Ok, I think I've come up with a few controversial ideas for a new character I'm working on, a steampunk genius on the run from the government. All the stunts are very thematic and I think they are balanced but let me know what you think.

Scholarship Stunt: Occult encyclopedia
Constant access to a secret government database on the supernatural
May use Scholarship instead of Lore when 'Arcane Researching'. YS134

Craftsmanship: 19th Century tech, 20th Century solutions
Can make useful items and weapons with steampunk technology (clockwork, pneumatic power, no electricity)
Items created by PC count as +4 higher on the Hexing Table and are immune to accidental hexing (YS258)

Craftmanship: Scrapheap Challenge
PC is an expert at building a solution to a problem
Building or repairing takes two time increments less. (When using his own workshop only? Is that needed? It still takes ages to build anything really effective)

Stealth: Ghost in the system - this is the one that might need the most work, it's a new trapping.
With years of experience living off the radar and knowledge of the goverments methods, the PC is constantly covering his tracks and spotting the security cameras before they spot him.
Hiding in all it's forms, covering your tracks, hiding from surveillance, hiding from agents, seeming inconspicuous.

Guns: My baby boomer
After lovingly creating the weapon from the ground up, the PC knows every trick and sweet-spot
When using guns created or heavily modified by PC, gain +1 to attack.

-------------------------

Thanks for taking a look at them, as you can see they're still work in progress (I'm not happy with all the names for a start!) but I don't think they are broken and I'm pretty sure they match the rules for creating stunts. However if you can see any problems, or just a more elegant solution, that'd be great.

Thanks!

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2010, 05:39:45 PM »
19th Century Tech, 20th Century Solutions is too powerful. +4?! Make it +2 and it'll be fairly balanced.

Ghost In The System has no mechanics, what does it do, what do you want it to do?

On Occult Encyclopedia, I'd note that it only applies as long as you have access to the database.

The others look good as is, though.

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2010, 06:10:11 PM »
The +4 against hexing is based on the suggestion for building a stunt where it says a particularly narrow bonus can be +3 or even +4. I wasn't sure how narrow this would be though. Does deliberate hexing come up a lot? Bear in mind that level of tech is around a 7 power hex. Still it might well be a lot, it hasn't come up in my other game at all.

Ghost in the system is a trapping to achive those effects, rolling stealth like you would normal hiding, at a difficulty of the gm's discretion. Does it need more then?

Agreed on the encyclopedia. What do you think of the construction stunt? Does it need his own workshop? Or is any ok?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2010, 06:21:28 PM »
The +4 against hexing is based on the suggestion for building a stunt where it says a particularly narrow bonus can be +3 or even +4. I wasn't sure how narrow this would be though. Does deliberate hexing come up a lot? Bear in mind that level of tech is around a 7 power hex. Still it might well be a lot, it hasn't come up in my other game at all.

Well, it's narrow, but the immunity to accidental Hexing is almost worth a Stunt in it's own right, hence my opinion that a +2 is more reasonable.

Ghost in the system is a trapping to achive those effects, rolling stealth like you would normal hiding, at a difficulty of the gm's discretion. Does it need more then?

Uh, yeah. Alot more. Those are all stuff Stealth should be able to do anyway, IMO. In fact, they all definitely fall under Skulking or Shadowing. Well, except maybe looking inconspicuous, that might in theory be Deceit, I suppose, but in any case it's certainly not enough on it's own.

Agreed on the encyclopedia. What do you think of the construction stunt? Does it need his own workshop? Or is any ok?

Nah, that one's good without a Workshop.

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2010, 10:32:06 PM »
Stealth: Ghost in the system - this is the one that might need the most work, it's a new trapping.
With years of experience living off the radar and knowledge of the goverments methods, the PC is constantly covering his tracks and spotting the security cameras before they spot him.
Hiding in all it's forms, covering your tracks, hiding from surveillance, hiding from agents, seeming inconspicuous.
Spotting cameras before they film you seems more like an Alertness thing.

But this could also be done with declarations, right?  "*put fate point on the table* That camera is turned, it doesn't quite see the entire zone, so I stick to the blind spots. *roll Alertness*"

Or it might be a use of whatever skill is related to cameras (if you know the camera details, you can better estimate the field of view).  Is that Scholarship (like computer use is?) or Performance?  Investigation?

If it is a declaration, then no stunt is required, just a fate point.
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.