Author Topic: Petrifying Gaze And Similar Attacks  (Read 1310 times)

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
Petrifying Gaze And Similar Attacks
« on: June 05, 2010, 01:35:47 PM »
So, how best to model the "attacks" from creatures such as basilisks or gorgons?

My first thought was to use the Domination power as a basis.  Cost it at, say, -4 Refresh, the same as Domination+Master Dominator.  To initiate the attack the creature could pit Intimidation (or maybe Presence) against Discipline to place an aspect like "Locked Gazes" on the intended victim.  Every exchange after that the victim can attempt to break the gaze with the same roll, though I might give the attacker a +2 bonus on that - once locked, you stay locked!  Others could block their view, of course, or distract either party enough to stop the attack, but they've got to be careful about being attacked as well!

And in every exchange, the attacker rolls Discipline vs Discipline, causing mental stress with a +2 bonus (like Master Dominator).  Stress and/or consequences are taken as normal.  If/when the victim is Taken Out, they are turned to stone/frozen in a catatonic state/whatever.  If the Refresh was -4 I'd be tempted to give them +2 on the attack roll to balance the loss of the ability to create Renfields that Domination gives, or take it up to -6 anyway.

My second thought was to use The Sight as a basis; just give the attack an intensity and attack the victim's mental stress that way.  Not much different, though, and harder to cost.

Any thoughts?
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Petrifying Gaze And Similar Attacks
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 02:06:34 PM »
Very interesting idea, I like the idea of 'locked gazes' and then dealing damage each round like a grapple, I also like the idea of discipline being used to look away. Why does it deal mental damage rather than physical damage though? I would have thought petrification would cause physical stress as your flesh gets turned to stone. Or does it just leave them catatonic and in a 'frozen' state as you mention? I can't think of an example in the Dresden Files that would be relevant, but I've missed one or two books out so perhaps others might know.

Wouldn't this normally be counted as a Transmutation and Disruption effect from Thaumaturgy, cast as supernatural power/sponsored magic (so as an evocation) and causing enough stress to take them out (more than just an extreme consequence). So 20 shifts of power for all the consequences, plus whatever you need to overcome the targets endurance and any relevant defence (their discipline plus +4?).

Maybe it could be cast like Orbius. Treat as a block, dealing damage over a duration? Opposed by might to move and break the petrification? One shift of damage per round doesn't really sound like 'petrification' though, especially as the duration required to take someone out like that would be ridiculous, but at least it would fit the 'one quick glance could kill' image of petrification.

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
Re: Petrifying Gaze And Similar Attacks
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 03:49:21 PM »
I guess I was taking the Domination basis too far; it probably should be physical stress for actual petrification.  And I was trying to model it as a power rather than a "spell effect", but I guess that could work too.
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!