Author Topic: Mordite Blade  (Read 11531 times)

Offline CableRouter

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Mordite Blade
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2010, 03:52:36 AM »
not a grim reaper a grim reaper themed character...

Who is also a skeleton wielding a scythe that kills anything it touches...

I'd call that a distinction without a difference. :)

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2010, 05:22:51 AM »
You see, I got the distinct impression that the mistfiend was definitely an outsider.

I think that would have been mentioned, given all the White Council around and the Seventh Law...

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2010, 11:36:18 AM »
That's a terrifying weapon, both in mechanical terms and in terms of how the supernatural world would react to such a thing. Not something I'd let a player have in my game, but it would make for a very interesting plot device, especially if one of the PCs was offered the weapon in order to defeat a truly powerful opponent to save many lives...

Hmm, mind if I steal that?

To make the thing truly epic, why not also give it a Sword's ability to meet the Catch of any opponent for a scene by spending a Fate Point? You may as well go all-out. It is freaking mordite, after all.

Offline Ala Alba

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2010, 03:43:34 PM »
It's honestly not that scary.

Assuming that it's a submerged character, the weapon's not any easier to hit with then any other weapon would be(yeah, it does do more damage, though).

Of course, I happen to be in that Las Vegas game, so I'm slightly intrigued knowing that this is the type of RPC he has in mind.

Certainly has me shifting gears, anyway.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2010, 06:54:14 PM »
Hmm, mind if I steal that?

As the creator, not at all.  :)

To make the thing truly epic, why not also give it a Sword's ability to meet the Catch of any opponent for a scene by spending a Fate Point? You may as well go all-out. It is freaking mordite, after all.

Sure, that'll work (though I'll note we have no knowledge of Mordite doing that), though that'd add -3 to it's Refresh cost (for a total of -6).

It's honestly not that scary.

Assuming that it's a submerged character, the weapon's not any easier to hit with then any other weapon would be(yeah, it does do more damage, though).

Actually, it adds 1 to his Weapons, giving him an effective Weapons of 6, which is quite frightening combined with it's Weapon: 10 damage.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 06:56:05 PM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2010, 07:21:36 PM »
Thanks! I'm working up some higher-power forces to try to recruit or put down my players, and the idea of someone trying to make deals with Death is just so awesome.

Of course, it would be one of those "accept this scythe and become an NPC" moments.

Tbora

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2010, 09:11:19 PM »
DMW do you think you could help me stat out my skeleton's skills, powers, and stresses?

Offline 2814

• Lurker
  • I hate to say I told you, but I told you so.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2010, 12:20:24 AM »
I like this item, not because of what it is. It is truly scary. But if this flies in this game, imagine what else the GM is going to let in to balance that monstrosity. Here is my chainsaw of @$$K.
My blasting rod is Franchi spas-12.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2010, 08:12:09 AM »
DMW do you think you could help me stat out my skeleton's skills, powers, and stresses?

Yeah, sure. Basic description of what you want the character to be good at, and I can do a Submrged level PC pretty damn quick.

Tbora

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2010, 05:10:44 PM »
I want him to be good with weapons, very tough and very fast.

For his powers I want something that can lay out the smackdown like no other, a killing machine, for the character concept.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2010, 06:03:32 PM »
Skills:

Superb: Lore, Weapons,
Great: Athletics, Stealth,
Good: Conviction, Endurance,
Fair: Alertness, Discipline, Intimidation,
Average: Burglary, Empathy, Fists, Presence, Scholarship,

Powers:

Living Dead [-1]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
Inhuman Recovery [-2]
The Catch is ??? [+1]

Scythe of Death:
Item of Power [+2] effecting;
Ritual (Ectomancy) [-2]
Refinement (Extra Item Slots) [-2]
True Strike (As the Sword of the Cross power of the same name) [-1]

Total: -9 Refresh

Enchanted Items:
Mordite Scythe Blade (Weapon: 10 attack with Weapons, thirteen times per session) [12 Item Slots]

Stress:

Mental: OOOO
Physical: OOOO(OO)
Social: OOO
Armor: 1.

Notes:

I'd rule that Inhuman Recovery trumps the "You can't recover from Consequences." part of Living Dead, but others might disagree. If your GM does some modification may be in order.

If you take a +2 Catch instead of +1 you can afford an addition Refresh worth of stuff, I'd get the Weapons Stunt Riposte, personally.

Tbora

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2010, 06:11:19 PM »
He's not really living dead he's just like Bob and the Skull, and wouldn't it be better for athletics to be superb instead of lore, have scythe be built by someone else?

And what is a catch of weakness to holy things/faith worth?

« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 06:12:55 PM by Tbora »

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2010, 06:30:04 PM »
Well, he is possessing a skeleton, that would seem to cover most of the aspects of Living Dead. And yes, if it's okay for someone else to have built the Scythe feel free to switch Lore and Athletics.

And it's +2, as the Denarian writeups clearly demonstrate.

Tbora

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2010, 06:34:58 PM »
K so I have my catch then, what are my options regarding where I put that extra refresh?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2010, 06:36:47 PM »
Well, like I said, Riposte is probably your best bet for raw killing, but Cloak of Shadows is also extremely appropriate. As is The Sight. But it's up to you, really.