Author Topic: DISPROVE THIS  (Read 107520 times)

Offline Landing

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: DISPROVE THIS
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2010, 12:24:19 PM »
...and Elaine's  ;D ;D
Purveyor of the theory that the overarching plot of the Dresdenverse is that its all the dinosaur's fault.

DISCLAIMER: What Duck's says but funnier.

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2010, 02:08:07 PM »
This topic is becoming very disturbing. The EVIL DUCK must be involved.  >:(
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2010, 03:17:40 PM »
I guess anything is possible, but thus far Jim has consistently used the formula of: ascension comes with commensurate amounts of power and constraint.

Where do you get that from ?

We have no suggestion of constraints applying to a post-Darkhallow ascended.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2010, 03:18:32 PM »
They started off mortal like the Erlking started off mortal, if I remember correctly.

I do not recall it being said that the Erlking started mortal; just that he got as strong as he did through a rite of ascension.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2010, 03:21:37 PM »
Molly. Is. Harry's. Mother.  :o :o :o :o :o

Everyone in the series is the same person, travelling back and forward through time, and shapeshifting accordingly.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2010, 04:42:32 PM »
Everyone in the series is the same person, travelling back and forward through time, and shapeshifting accordingly.

"All You Zombies--"
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2010, 06:04:34 PM »
Wow, if this is all true the final trilogy is gonna be a real bear to follow!
 ;)
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2010, 06:36:23 PM »
Where do you get that from ?

We have no suggestion of constraints applying to a post-Darkhallow ascended.

Which I think is what makes the darkhallow so scary.   Usually things with that kind of power have to work in the rules.  They can, but aren't allowed to just rewrite reality on a whim (like jim said is theoretically possible to a mortal with enough umph and hootzpa).   Whereas a sufficiently powerful (from pure juice) mortal wouldn't suffer from this handicap. 

Think about what even a comparitively nice person like marcone (he's not all bad as shown by his fierce protection of children, even when its against his business interests.  And he does try to keep the violence down so he's not a psychopath.) would end up doing with that kind of juice.

power corrupts.  absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline Curly

• Posty McPostington
  • Roar!!! *Coughcough*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2010, 06:44:23 PM »
Not all psychopaths are violent. :)
;) unless explicitly stated otherwise

Quote from: Neurovore
Why are you assuming it has to be heartbreaking ?

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2010, 06:47:36 PM »
Not all psychopaths are violent. :)

the lionshare are though.   its a fairly descriptive term for someone who would use violence and terrible power for no other reason than using it gives them a swollen..... ego.   
Which is what an unrestrained deity level power with a human mind would end up at.

Offline Curly

• Posty McPostington
  • Roar!!! *Coughcough*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2010, 06:52:10 PM »
the lionshare are though.   its a fairly descriptive term for someone who would use violence and terrible power for no other reason than using it gives them a swollen..... ego.   
Which is what an unrestrained deity level power with a human mind would end up at.

That would describe most people as far as I can see. The only difference seems to be in the power held.

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2010, 07:13:55 PM »
That would describe most people as far as I can see. The only difference seems to be in the power held.

so you routinely hurt other creatures simply because doing so gives you a warm fuzzy feeling?   Cause if so i've got this extra long sleeved jacket I want you to try on..... make sure to hug yourself so you know if fits  ;D

Offline mid_life_crisis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2010, 07:17:42 PM »
I'm reminded of a Marvel Comics mini-series from years ago in which the good guy ends up with a glove covered in gems that represent different powers and is turned into something that makes Mab and company pale in comparison.  He ends up bored out of his mind and without even thinking about what he is doing, he's out in some other galaxy juggling planets.  Thing is, he started out as an above average player to begin with: he should have had some idea of the dangers.  
It isn't just that you have the power to do great harm maliciously, but if you aren't incredibly careful you can cause major devestation without meaning to.  Probably why the real powers in the DV either never or rarely take the field themselves but work through representatives instead.
“Sex is like Bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand.” - Mae West
Papa said, "son there's a lot of evil temptations out there in the world.  Best to try 'em all so you know which ones to avoid."
Sweat is fat cells crying.  - T-shirt wisdom

Offline Curly

• Posty McPostington
  • Roar!!! *Coughcough*
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2010, 07:20:43 PM »

so you routinely hurt other creatures simply because doing so gives you a warm fuzzy feeling?   Cause if so i've got this extra long sleeved jacket I want you to try on..... make sure to hug yourself so you know if fits  ;D
Yes.

Offline Reil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2010, 07:30:41 PM »
...  Goddamnit I love you ducks.