Author Topic: What are the Pub's Positive Patterns?  (Read 31311 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: What are the Pub's Positive Patterns?
« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2010, 09:12:33 PM »
How if you have each post in a thread /shorten/ the requisite period of inactivity.

Funny! Not quite worth the effort, I think -- but funny. :)

I'm working on an idea for what to do to support undirected conversation. Idea's getting floated past the Council, but I'll be airing it soon.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

meh

« Reply #121 on: June 03, 2010, 09:17:08 PM »
How much trouble would it be to keep week old undirecteds out of the "unread posts since last visit" and only in the "new replies to your posts" list?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2010, 09:20:43 PM »
How much trouble would it be to keep week old undirecteds out of the "unread posts since last visit" and only in the "new replies to your posts" list?
Lots.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2010, 09:28:33 PM »
Thanks for considering it, Fred. Yeah, Weird was where the latest *thing* happened, but all in all I think that was more a tragedy of timing and people being lax about not paying attention to where they're posting than a matter of the nature of the undirective nature of the thread. Given its LONG history (over 100 threads in Nostalgia Nook) of Good Times, I'd offer that it was a good thread that was in the wrong place at the wrong time.  ;)

Nevertheless, whatever the Council comes up with I'm sure will be the best possible option.

In the meantime, where are we going to put the Pricellie is a Goddess, Iago is the Fist of God, Mickey is No Mouse, and Ashton is the ManHarpy of Doom threads?
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2010, 09:29:46 PM »
They'll have a place soon. I'm waiting on a quorum of approval for my idea. :)
Fred Hicks

meh

« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2010, 10:16:09 PM »
Lots.

Shame.   No US board I know of seems to support out-of-sight-out-of-mind type functionality.

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2010, 10:20:20 PM »
Shame.   No US board I know of seems to support out-of-sight-out-of-mind type functionality.

Unless I misunderstand what you are saying, this out-of-sight-out-of-mind stuff gets dug up and slapped onto Fred's back. That's what he's trying to avoid. I think he wants stuff gone in a more timely fashion, which means threads ideas will get repeated as new people come onto the board. He'll do something to fix it, though.  ;D
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2010, 10:23:52 PM »

Well, in the cases Fred's addressed publicly, people were getting their knickers in a knot over stuff that was days (and, I believe in some cases, weeks) old. Having a short-lifespan design could possibly eliminate some of that - give people less stuff to piss themselves off over, and they might behave better. Nothing's ever 100%, though; some folks are just bound and determined to be offended, and some topics are almost automatic button-pushers. Keeping a non-topical subforum open will have to be a balance between blandness and riot. As has been noted by some here, most of the general Mac's threads have a long, long history of being non-riotish, so that gives me more hope that they'd tend to be that way than fear that they'd degenerate into snipsnarksnarl. I think if we have something like that but keep a fairly regular eye on it (and maybe address via PM people who look like they're edging towards the Dark Side), it should work.

Still, that requires modding, and we're short-staffed. *shrug* In the end, there's no way to know other than diving in and finding out.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

meh

« Reply #128 on: June 03, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
Unless I misunderstand what you are saying, this out-of-sight-out-of-mind stuff gets dug up and slapped onto Fred's back.

You do misunderstand what I'm saying.  

Imagine a board where old threads /cannot/ be bumped to the top by latecomers, but only to the top of the /second/ page in a page list and not at all to the 'unread' list unless its a 'new replies to your posts'.

Imagine a board where private fights in old threads  /cannot/ be watched update-by-update by non-involved parties without specifically digging for them at each post.

That is what I mean by out-of-sight-out-of-mind: the automatic  elimination of  public spectacle and latecomer zombie threads in the non-directed sections of  the board.         No mods.

Sort of like sageru on 2ch except probably even more aggressive.

Offline El Diablo

• Posty McPostington
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2010, 10:48:56 PM »
Just tossing this out, but can we have a chat for touchy topics? not in the main link, but a private link? Not public? Sign up to join in?

Board stays clean, chat is private, and well, I can have more fun again? :)
//Sings
"If you've been messaged to ignore me clap your hands!"
:)

knnn said "All must now bow in presence of your Dresden-Fu."

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2010, 10:57:43 PM »
You do misunderstand what I'm saying.  

Imagine a board where old threads /cannot/ be bumped to the top by latecomers, but only to the top of the /second/ page in a page list and not at all to the 'unread' list unless its a 'new replies to your posts'.

Imagine a board where private fights in old threads  /cannot/ be watched update-by-update by non-involved parties without specifically digging for them at each post.

That is what I mean by out-of-sight-out-of-mind: the automatic  elimination of  public spectacle and latecomer zombie threads in the non-directed sections of  the board.         No mods.

Sort of like sageru on 2ch except probably even more aggressive.

Personally, I still see the potential for extremely hateful nastiness. I vote for Fred's idea, after he formulates decrees it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 04:11:23 PM by snowbound »
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2010, 10:58:34 PM »
Just tossing this out, but can we have a chat for touchy topics? not in the main link, but a private link? Not public? Sign up to join in?)

Not on my server.
Fred Hicks

meh

« Reply #132 on: June 03, 2010, 11:11:02 PM »
Personally, I still see the potential for extremely hateful nastiness.

I don't think you can eliminate such nastiness without extreme content control.

I merely propose to /contain/ it in ways completely new to most posters here, that would also directly attack several Internet cliches, such as the out-of-context indignant zombie thread revival 2 years later, and public flame wars.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 04, 2010, 01:32:53 AM »
Just tossing this out, but can we have a chat for touchy topics? not in the main link, but a private link? Not public? Sign up to join in?

Board stays clean, chat is private, and well, I can have more fun again? :)

Touchy Stuff never stays in it's place, keeps tracking stuff out of the celler all over Iago's fine carpets.  Much as I miss TT, I can't say as I blame him for wanting to keep it out of chat.  Besides, the nature of chat precludes taking a deep breath, going away and reading a book before coming back and posting a reply. 

Offline El Diablo

• Posty McPostington
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 04, 2010, 02:00:25 AM »
Yeah, i just thought if you signed up for it and was held accountable for it, you didn't have any room to bitch.

But Fred pays for the hosting, so what he wants he should get. I'm a firm believer in "It's my living room and I'll shoot you if you piss me off". Even if I am the one shot.
//Sings
"If you've been messaged to ignore me clap your hands!"
:)

knnn said "All must now bow in presence of your Dresden-Fu."