Author Topic: new chat feature. (show the love)  (Read 10262 times)

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: new chat feature. (show the love)
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 02:18:04 PM »
I love the new Chat thing. I have to say, though, I bet it's going to put a massive dent in postings. I think conversations are usually preferable to notes, for most people.

Of course, this might only kill threads like Weird, where people aren't really talking about any specific topic to begin with. And since Weird is like some terrifying, forum-eating monster, I suppose that could be a good thing. Was that the idea behind Chat in the first place?
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 02:37:35 PM »
 ;D
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 04:52:57 PM »
One thing I've noticed with the chat is that there are some members that continually change their names.  Once every minute, at some points.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 05:44:47 PM »
One thing I've noticed with the chat is that there are some members that continually change their names.  Once every minute, at some points.

If people overuse or abuse a feature in the chat, they can be sure I'll be investigating how to remove that feature. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 11:52:59 PM »
i like that we can still chat to eachother

thank you iago

Offline Brightbane

• Conversationalist
  • Totally obscene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 06:16:41 PM »
Is there any way we can be able to open more than one channel (at the same time)? The different ones are kind of pointless right now because no one ever goes on anything but the public one. The only way to get a coordinated group of people in one of the channels would be to keep popping back and forth inviting people, and then you'd continually have to do that to make sure that if people came in you could give them the heads up about where everyone is.

Another idea for if you follow through with that (I'm not even sure if this is possible) is that you could only make the dice feature available in the games closet, because it's getting insanely annoying in the public channel.
Bob started tittering. "Look out! Look out for that vicious mega-squirrel, boss!" He said, hardly able to speak clearly. "My gosh! that ficus is about to molest you!"

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 06:33:38 PM »
Not possible.
Fred Hicks

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 06:55:33 PM »
Is there any way we can be able to open more than one channel (at the same time)? The different ones are kind of pointless right now because no one ever goes on anything but the public one. The only way to get a coordinated group of people in one of the channels would be to keep popping back and forth inviting people, and then you'd continually have to do that to make sure that if people came in you could give them the heads up about where everyone is.

But that's precisely how we handled it back in my day, when the internet was a strung-together net of tin cans. :D Seriously, if we wanted to discuss something that was verboten in that room, we either took it to private chat or to another room entirely, and if we wanted latecomers to know where we were, we had to have a designated person popping back and forth to message the original room.

It's not hard.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 07:16:04 PM »

Another idea for if you follow through with that (I'm not even sure if this is possible) is that you could only make the dice feature available in the games closet, because it's getting insanely annoying in the public channel.
With the dice rolling, some people who continue doing it have said that if you ask, they'll stop.  Because I guess some people don't consider it to be a sticking rule unless Fred says it in his big red moderator voice.  Also, there is an option to ignore people, if it gets to be that annoying.

My only complaint so far is that people using the different styles will use fonts to match the one they use, but which is very difficult to read on other styles.  Like bright yellow/blue/green being good for the darker/black styles, but headache inducing on lighter styles.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 08:07:59 PM »
I use the subblack2 theme, and have found that ALL fonts stay the off-white/yellow color, so to mitigate the color issue.  So I haven't experienced the color issue.  Of course, it could also be dependent upon the web browser you use as well as OS.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2010, 08:23:59 PM »
I use the subblack2 theme, and have found that ALL fonts stay the off-white/yellow color, so to mitigate the color issue.  So I haven't experienced the color issue.  Of course, it could also be dependent upon the web browser you use as well as OS.
Is that with colors enabled?  If not, the colors will stay the same.  But for myself, I use the colors to keep track of who's saying what.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2010, 08:42:43 PM »
Since all the computer stuff is way over my head, would it be impossible or just really annoying to erase traditional threads after 30/60/90 days? That would fix the diggers, maybe. The chat thing is fun, but has almost no history.
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2010, 09:30:57 PM »
Is that with colors enabled?  If not, the colors will stay the same.  But for myself, I use the colors to keep track of who's saying what.

Ya know, I dunno.  :P  I'll check it.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2010, 11:27:16 PM »
Since all the computer stuff is way over my head, would it be impossible or just really annoying to erase traditional threads after 30/60/90 days? That would fix the diggers, maybe. The chat thing is fun, but has almost no history.

Really annoying. There's essentially one person doing the regular code-type work on the boards, and he's got a life. I think it's pretty reasonable that he wants the boards to be as low-hassle as possible for him - I know I'd prefer it that way if I were holding the bag.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010, 11:46:18 PM »
Really annoying. There's essentially one person doing the regular code-type work on the boards, and he's got a life. I think it's pretty reasonable that he wants the boards to be as low-hassle as possible for him - I know I'd prefer it that way if I were holding the bag.

That's why I asked. Never mind.
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!