Author Topic: UPCOMING: Forum Boards Get Downsized  (Read 18054 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
UPCOMING: Forum Boards Get Downsized
« on: May 26, 2010, 03:31:16 PM »
Next week I am going to start getting rid of old and dead topics on the board. As things stand right now we have a ludicrous number of old postings on the forum (the nightly backup is several GB in size), and I think this plays strongly into some of the site's performance issues. Some areas will remain untouched, some will get a long window, and some will get a shorter window.  Here's how it's going to break down:

The Important and Frequently Asked Questions areas will be left untouched.

Any of the book discussion areas (Dresden Files, Codex Alera, and Other Works areas) will have a one-year window on them. Topics which have not been posted in for over a year will be deleted.

The General Chat discussion areas will have a three-month window on them. Topics which have not been posted in for over 90 days will be deleted.

We're giving folks the rest of this week to archive whatever is going to be deleted that's important to them. Also, if there's a thread in one of the book discussion areas that folks find particularly important please use the "report to moderator" feature to nominate the thread (or specific post) to get moved into our Frequently Asked Questions area. We could use some help identifying that material. We'll already be reviewing Jim's posts for the juicy stuff, though, so please do this only for stuff which *isn't* directly from Jim.

Hopefully on the other side of this we'll have a leaner board that performs better.  But regardless, we'll be transitioned to a new mode of operation that will make the forum more possible to sustain for years to come.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 03:48:29 PM by iago »
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: UPCOMING: Forum Boards Get Downsized
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 03:34:53 PM »
Also, if there's a thread in one of the book discussion areas that folks find particularly important -- maybe because Jim has responded in it with some good fan information or whatever -- please use the "report to moderator" feature to nominate the thread (or specific post) to get moved into our Frequently Asked Questions area. We could use some help identifying that material. :)

Actually, please DON'T "Report to Moderator" all of Jim's posts.  We'll have no trouble finding them!  Feel free to use that feature to nominate other posts for consideration, just not Jim's!

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 03:48:39 PM »
Edited. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 01:40:04 AM »
The first round of this has been done on the community boards. Priscellie and other volunteers are still working on getting the "archival value" threads from the various books boards moved to a safe-keeping place, so those ones aren't gonna get touched for a while yet.
Fred Hicks