Author Topic: Aspects and Tagging  (Read 3510 times)

Offline Tallyrand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Aspects and Tagging
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 12:01:33 AM »
I thought that once an Aspect is applied, only the person who applied it through a maneuver could Tag it for free, but if it is sticky, anyone can then Tag it by spending a fate point so long as it persists?

Remember that Tagging is invoke or compelling without spending a fate chip.  But yet, it does say that if you use a maneuver to apply an aspect you may 'pass' the tag to someone else giving them the free go.

Offline Kordeth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 12:30:25 AM »
I thought that once an Aspect is applied, only the person who applied it through a maneuver could Tag it for free, but if it is sticky, anyone can then Tag it by spending a fate point so long as it persists?

Not quite. Once an Aspect is applied or discovered, the person who applied/discovered it may tag it for free or pass the tag along to someone else. If the Aspect is fragile, it goes away after the tag. If it's sticky, it hangs around, but further uses of it are invokes, not tags. You can only tag an Aspect once, regardless of how long it lasts.

Offline caul

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 02:06:16 AM »
Not quite. Once an Aspect is applied or discovered, the person who applied/discovered it may tag it for free or pass the tag along to someone else. If the Aspect is fragile, it goes away after the tag. If it's sticky, it hangs around, but further uses of it are invokes, not tags. You can only tag an Aspect once, regardless of how long it lasts.

Okay, now I get it.  I thought that Invoke just meant your own Aspects, while Tag meant basically invoking Aspects that belonged (however they got them) to others, or the scene.  So just to clarify, Tagging is free, but only if you applied or discovered the Aspect, or if you pass the tag to another, and only once, while Invoking always costs Fate, and can be used while you have Fate and the Aspect is present?

Sorry, still new to the Fate system.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 03:09:58 AM »
caul: Yeah, you've got it now.

Offline paul_Harkonen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 04:14:59 AM »
Okay, now I get it.  I thought that Invoke just meant your own Aspects, while Tag meant basically invoking Aspects that belonged (however they got them) to others, or the scene.  So just to clarify, Tagging is free, but only if you applied or discovered the Aspect, or if you pass the tag to another, and only once, while Invoking always costs Fate, and can be used while you have Fate and the Aspect is present?

Sorry, still new to the Fate system.

You've got it now, they way I think about it is that a Tag is like a Fate Point that can only be spent on one Aspect.  When you discover or place an Aspect you get given a Tag Token to use on that Aspect.  After you burn the Tag, you have to use normal Fate Points.  The terminology isn't quite right, but it helps clear up Tagging Vs Invoking.  Tagging is just an Invoke using your Tag Point.