Author Topic: Forum Policy: Avoid Mega-Topics!  (Read 22557 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Forum Policy: Avoid Mega-Topics!
« on: January 05, 2008, 07:24:07 PM »
Mega-topics -- topics which have hundreds of pages (thousands of posts on one topic) -- should be avoided.  Two things to keep in mind:

1. If you feel yourself going significantly off the rails of the original topic of a thread with a reply please start a new topic instead of replying to that existing thread.  If you must, you can post a reply to the original topic saying "Hey, I wanted to talk about X, so I've started a new topic (link here)"

2. If you see that you're replying to a topic that has over 50 to 100 pages on it, stop.  Start a new topic, no matter what. 

In theory, this will help out with the server load a little (fewer posts for the software to slog through in order to display the topic), so I'm not just asking this to be annoying. :)

With this message I'm also asking all board moderators to be on the lookout for mega-topics and to try to split them up into useful chunks -- even if it's just separating the old part of the topics off into another topic labeled something like 'Mega Topic Alpha [April through July 2007]' or something like that.  When splitting off old chunks, please lock the old chunk so it doesn't take on any new posts.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Forum Policy: Avoid Mega-Topics!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 11:35:20 PM »
This policy is under review. We may be able to relax it a little bit. We'll update this when we figure that out. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/