Author Topic: Compelling a Hex  (Read 4386 times)

Offline ryanroyce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Compelling a Hex
« on: May 16, 2010, 07:39:03 PM »
Question: if a Wizard and a Pure Mortal are on the same team and the GM compels the wizard's high concept to accidentally hex the mortal's cell phone, does the wizard get the fate point or does the mortal?  While it is the wizard's concept that got compelled, it was the mortal who got the complication.

Forgive me if this question has been asked before.
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it." - Voltaire

Offline Valarian

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Compelling a Hex
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 07:41:47 PM »
The mortal, who wanted to use the cell phone. Both if the compel puts both in danger, i.e. the mortal was calling for help.
Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 09:23:15 PM »
The mortal, who wanted to use the cell phone. Both if the compel puts both in danger, i.e. the mortal was calling for help.

Actually you are partly wrong here. An accidental Hex is technically a Compel of the Wizards High Concept (YW 209).

If you like it better you can handle it your way though. Anyways ... if the mortal and the Wizard are friends he really should know better then trying to use his or her cell. I personally wouldn't award a point for the mortal here unless he has an aspect like "MY FRIEND THE WIZARD", and frequently ends up buying new toys after hanging out with his pal... that would be kind of a neat running gag =D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 09:26:24 PM by Papa Gruff »
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 12:32:45 AM »
Hexing is indeed usually a Compel on the Wizard's High Concept...but the motal was the one inconvenienced, which is miles more important in regards to who should get the Fate Point. I agree with Valarian.

Offline ryanroyce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 01:06:48 AM »
Actually you are partly wrong here. An accidental Hex is technically a Compel of the Wizards High Concept (YW 209).

If you like it better you can handle it your way though. Anyways ... if the mortal and the Wizard are friends he really should know better then trying to use his or her cell. I personally wouldn't award a point for the mortal here unless he has an aspect like "MY FRIEND THE WIZARD", and frequently ends up buying new toys after hanging out with his pal... that would be kind of a neat running gag =D

I'm with Valarian on this one, especially now that I've read the rules some more.  Technology can and should be a viable resource for any Pure Mortal character, especially if they intend to make an active contribution; being denied access to that otherwise-available-resource complicates the mortal's life... and complications are the meat of strong compels.  

From a technical standpoint, having a wizard nearby could be considered a "scene aspect" (YS107) and could therefore be a temporary aspect on the sheet of everyone close enough to him/her.  Instead of compelling the wizard's high concept, the GM is compelling the "My Friend the Wizard" scene aspect.

All that aside, getting a fate point for making someone else's life more complicated is rather cheesy, IMO.
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it." - Voltaire

Offline Tallyrand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 12:14:11 AM »
I'm with Papa Gruff on this one, if it's the Wizard's aspect being compelled then he gets the fate point.  One important thing to remember here is that whatever the Mortal teammate was calling for it was probably something the Wizard wanted to so they are both being inconvenienced.  I have a character I'm playing now with the aspect "Dammit Juan!", Juan being one of the other PCs.  The GM can use my compel to make Juan cause me difficulties, but I still get the Fate point because it's the problem I took.

Offline Victim

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 01:23:59 AM »
Personally, having to allocate an aspect to gain rewards for the troubles another character is inflicting seems pretty dumb.  Not awarding the actual victims creates incentives to deliberately choose aspects that will cause problems for other characters.

Conversely, a team aspect already seems strong without requiring one to get fate points from troubles other PCs dish out. 

Offline Tallyrand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 02:32:48 AM »
If you're players would be tempted to abuse the aspect system, then honestly they're playing the game wrong.  Aspects are supposed to represent recuring themes for your character, and those these can easily have something to do with other people, including other characters.   Just look at some of the aspects in Our World. 

Molly Carpenter = Carpenter Kid (Can be invoked to represent her family getting into trouble), Harry Dresden's Apprentice (Can be invoked to drag her along on Harry's cases)

Susan = Former lover of Harry Dresden can be invoked to force her to interact with her past

Rawlings = Murphy's Partner (Probably invoked in every story to get him into some weirdness).

Now I understand from one perspective you can say that these are just compels to make characters go along with things already happening, but remember that these rules have to apply all the time.  If it was a one on one games with Rawlings then there's no real difference between the compel making something happen or just making him go along with it.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 08:49:57 AM »
If you're players would be tempted to abuse the aspect system, then honestly they're playing the game wrong. 
Unless you are the writer/writers, I do not think you can honestly say that someone else is playing the game wrong. Indeed, I think that unless it is a rule question where something is clearly stated and is unambigious, if you tell someone he is playing the game wrong because he is "abusing" something, especially on how something like Aspects should be played, then it is more likely that you are playing it wrong.

You cannot abuse the rules. You either use it, or not.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 08:53:34 AM by toturi »
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 09:41:32 AM »
If the Mortal has to make the call for some reason that's important to the plot and the Wizard doesn't move away to let them do it, then the Wizard is causing the problem and his HC gets compelled for the hex.  What happens then depends on if the compel is accepted or not and what they decide happens. If it is accepted the Wizard's player gets the FP because he is causing the complication.
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline Tallyrand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 10:50:32 AM »
Unless you are the writer/writers, I do not think you can honestly say that someone else is playing the game wrong. Indeed, I think that unless it is a rule question where something is clearly stated and is unambigious, if you tell someone he is playing the game wrong because he is "abusing" something, especially on how something like Aspects should be played, then it is more likely that you are playing it wrong.

You cannot abuse the rules. You either use it, or not.

That statement is in direct response to Victim's post, but still I stand by it.  If you want to play a game where you can tweak and twist the rules to make a broken characters then there are MANY systems out there that allow and even encourage that.  Fate is not one of those systems, in fact everything about the system is about working together with other players and the GM to create an interesting story and the rules are just a vague tool to facilitate that.  Therefore, if you create a character trying to get the most power with the least disadvantage by seeking out aspects that hurt your allies and their players ability to enjoy the game then you are flat out doing it wrong.

Note here, I'm not a Fate system fanboy, Dresden is in fact the first time I've tried the system, I prefer more 'crunchy' rules sets like Shadowrun and Champions, but if you read the rules to this game you see that there is a clear intention to avoid the pitfalls of mechanics based RPGs.

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 03:47:45 PM »
I think the Fate Point should go to the wizard. If it's their Aspect being compelled, then they get the Fate Point. Like Tallyrand said, this game is designed for a collaborative experience. If a group wants to play it in such a way that the players will take options that can be used against one another, that's their choice, but it's not in the spirit of the game.

Certainly, the game can handle conflict between characters, but that should really be in the "man, it'd be so cool if your character didn't trust mine and we had this great back and forth snark going on" sense, rather than the players being in conflict.

Offline neko128

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 06:27:28 PM »
If player X's wizard is being compelled, then the complication is supposed to be for him - but the only complication is "player Y's mortal got screwed by my presence."  From my point of view, it sounds more like two compels, since the trouble with the phone is clearly player Y's.  If the complication of the result is not Player X's, why would he earn the fate point?

Offline Victim

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 09:29:01 PM »
That statement is in direct response to Victim's post, but still I stand by it.  If you want to play a game where you can tweak and twist the rules to make a broken characters then there are MANY systems out there that allow and even encourage that.  Fate is not one of those systems, in fact everything about the system is about working together with other players and the GM to create an interesting story and the rules are just a vague tool to facilitate that.  Therefore, if you create a character trying to get the most power with the least disadvantage by seeking out aspects that hurt your allies and their players ability to enjoy the game then you are flat out doing it wrong.

Note here, I'm not a Fate system fanboy, Dresden is in fact the first time I've tried the system, I prefer more 'crunchy' rules sets like Shadowrun and Champions, but if you read the rules to this game you see that there is a clear intention to avoid the pitfalls of mechanics based RPGs.

Your Story is like 400 pages.  Several hundred pages of that are rules.  This isn't exactly an ultra light game, even if some of the underlying mechanics are pretty simple. 

If you don't want players to pick Aspects that can screw over other characters (which will often happen without any special design - wizard vs mortal tech, for instance), then why have the reward structure encourage it.  When the wizard hexes his mortal friend's nightvision goggles, you're saying that the magical parts of the story are more important than the mortal preparation parts - essentially giving priority to the wizard's story.  And then you're giving the wizard a bonus to further control the story.  I'm not saying the wizard should get the fate point.

Similarly, in the examples, we can see that a sort of team Aspect is already really good since it can be invoked a lot.  But it's reasonable not to have one.  However, if the only way for the mortal to get any kind of compensation when a magical thingy ruins what he was trying to do is to have the team aspect, then you're pretty much forcing the character to take an aspect like that.

Note that on page 21, Biff getting kidnapped out of the blue is a Compel on his Dumb Luck.  It's a not Compel on Maya's "Biff, you jerk..." aspect, even though she's getting stood up.  Getting ambushed is bad, and the fate point is going to the person who suffers most.

Molly Carpenter = Carpenter Kid (Can be invoked to represent her family getting into trouble), Harry Dresden's Apprentice (Can be invoked to drag her along on Harry's cases)

Susan = Former lover of Harry Dresden can be invoked to force her to interact with her past

Rawlings = Murphy's Partner (Probably invoked in every story to get him into some weirdness).

Amazing.  In a novel series with one main character and many recurring supporting cast, we can see that lots of secondary characters have strong relationships to the main character, and tertiary characters are often tied to secondary characters.  Notice the lack of reciprocal aspects - Harry has no special aspect for Murphy or Susan.  Murphy has no Aspect for being Rawling's partner (or rather it's within the top 15 most important things about her, versus within the top 6 important things about Rawlings).  Harry is the main character.  Susan and Murphy are tied into the story because of their relationship with him.  Rawlings is in the story because of his relationship with Murph, who is Harry's friend.

Generally, this tells us NOTHING about gaming.  There's usually not one main character, so that kind of structure isn't helpful.

Offline Tallyrand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 10:01:56 PM »
Your Story is like 400 pages.  Several hundred pages of that are rules.  This isn't exactly an ultra light game, even if some of the underlying mechanics are pretty simple. 

I think that saying that Your Story is almost all rules is a gross exaggeration of the situation.  Yes it is the core rules books but the vast majority of it is flavor and description, in fact I'd be willing to bet that I could fill literally every salient rule in Your Story on one double sided sheet of paper.  This isn't a complaint simply a design choice by the creators.

If you don't want players to pick Aspects that can screw over other characters (which will often happen without any special design - wizard vs mortal tech, for instance), then why have the reward structure encourage it.  When the wizard hexes his mortal friend's nightvision goggles, you're saying that the magical parts of the story are more important than the mortal preparation parts - essentially giving priority to the wizard's story.  And then you're giving the wizard a bonus to further control the story.  I'm not saying the wizard should get the fate point.

If I think my players are taking aspects to screw over other players then I won't allow them to play in my game, I don't need to incentivise anything.  In the books, frequently, Harry's magic gets in Murphy's way, but the point is that anything the gets in Murph's way gets in Harry's too because they're a team.  If a GM invokes a Wizard's hexing to break a mortal's nightvision goggles he's not saying that the Wizard is more important to the story he's saying that Drama/Comedy/Tension or whatever feeling the breaking of the goggles creates is more important, since it was the Wizard who game him the ability to improve the story its the Wizard who gets the fate chip.

Similarly, in the examples, we can see that a sort of team Aspect is already really good since it can be invoked a lot.  But it's reasonable not to have one.  However, if the only way for the mortal to get any kind of compensation when a magical thingy ruins what he was trying to do is to have the team aspect, then you're pretty much forcing the character to take an aspect like that.

Well for one, if the GM is invoking the Wizard's hexing all the time at the Mortal's detriment then it's the GM that's the problem not the players or the aspects.  If that happens frequent (and you can't find a new GM) I'd recommend the mortal take an aspect like 'The Trouble with Working with Wizards' or 'F@#%ing Magic' or if you like 'Extensive Preparations' or 'Careful Planning' and that would certainly supersede.  But with any GM who's doing their full job, part of which is making sure everyone has fun and feels a part of the story then it shouldn't be a problem

Note that on page 21, Biff getting kidnapped out of the blue is a Compel on his Dumb Luck.  It's a not Compel on Maya's "Biff, you jerk..." aspect, even though she's getting stood up.  Getting ambushed is bad, and the fate point is going to the person who suffers most.

Of course it's not a compel on 'Biff, you jerk...' because that wouldn't directly relate to what happened.  On the other hand with a 'Biff you jerk...' aspect the GM could give Maya a fate chip to compel Biff to do jerky things.

Amazing.  In a novel series with one main character and many recurring supporting cast, we can see that lots of secondary characters have strong relationships to the main character, and tertiary characters are often tied to secondary characters.  Notice the lack of reciprocal aspects - Harry has no special aspect for Murphy or Susan.  Murphy has no Aspect for being Rawling's partner (or rather it's within the top 15 most important things about her, versus within the top 6 important things about Rawlings).  Harry is the main character.  Susan and Murphy are tied into the story because of their relationship with him.  Rawlings is in the story because of his relationship with Murph, who is Harry's friend.

Humorously this actually illustrates my point very well because the characters mentioned (Murph, Rawlings) are the ones who are always dragged into the other character's story.  If Dresden had 'Friends w/Lt. Murphy' as an aspect then you'd see more situations where he was dragged into a story that she was the center of.  Yes of course a series of novels is not the ideal framework for a campaign, however unless compels can influence the actions of others then NO aspects should reference other characters but clearly the designers felt they should.