Author Topic: various more-obscure mythical creatures  (Read 68033 times)

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
Re: various more-obscure mythical creatures
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2010, 12:06:54 PM »
I'd give the Satyr a bit more oomp.

At least it should have Glamor and perhaps even some Fey-Magic. Also important: Is it summer, winter ow wild fey? Can't remember to whom the Pug belongs in "A midsummer nights dream"
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Diskhotep

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2010, 04:15:41 AM »
I'd give the Satyr a bit more oomp.

At least it should have Glamor and perhaps even some Fey-Magic. Also important: Is it summer, winter ow wild fey? Can't remember to whom the Pug belongs in "A midsummer nights dream"

Puck was a servant of King Oberon, though he was not necessarily a satyr (just commonly depicted that way). Given Oberon's connction with Titania, I'd put Puck firmly in Summer's Court.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2010, 07:33:26 AM »
Puck was a servant of King Oberon, though he was not necessarily a satyr (just commonly depicted that way). Given Oberon's connction with Titania, I'd put Puck firmly in Summer's Court.

Thanks for the clarification. It's kind of like what I thought.
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2010, 07:11:36 PM »
Satyr/Faun Sidhe
High Concept:
Woodland Fae

Skills:
Great: Survival, Endurance
Good: Athletics, Awareness, Might, Fists
Fair: Conviction, Discipline, Presence, Stealth
Other physical skills default to Average, others to Mediocre.

Stunts:
No Pain, No Gain: The satyr gains one additional physical mild consequence slot.

Powers:
Echoes of the Beast [-1]
Glamours [-2]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
Inhuman Recovery [-2]
  The Catch [+3] (for both of the above) is cold iron and the like
Seelie Magic [-4]

Stress:
Physical OOOO +1 mild consequence
Mental OOO
Social OOO

Total Refresh Cost:

Notes: This is a Sidhe version of the satyr, with more skills, physical abilities, Glamours and Seelie Magic.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2010, 10:41:30 PM »
I'd tack on Inspire Emotion (Revelry or Lust), and maybe skip the magic, personally. Just to fit the mythology.

Offline Ravangames

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2010, 04:23:20 PM »
how about ...

Griffon?

Goblin?

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2010, 03:09:51 AM »

I agree. Seeing as Pucks live for living life to the fullest, I'd definitely consider them Summer.

"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Offline GruffAndTumble

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2010, 05:09:44 AM »
Not specifically a creature, but I've found a minor adaptation to the Goblin in What Goes Bump produces all sorts of fun supernatural minions and monsters. Add Venomous to get a spider-creature along the lines of D&D's Ettercap. Add Wings to get a Harpy or similar. Add Inhuman Toughness and Ritual (Crafting) to get some sort of mystic Faerie smith.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2010, 09:37:28 PM »
Frost Giant
High Concept: Spawn of the Jotuns
Other Aspects: Master of Frost; Big But Not Stupid

Skills:

Superb: Weapons
Great: Discipline, Endurance, Might
Good: Athletics, Conviction, Intimidation, Lore
Fair: Alertness, Fists, Presence, Survival

Powers:

Hulking Size [-2]
Supernatural Strength [-4]
Supernatural Toughness [-4]
Inhuman Recovery [-2]
   The Catch [+2]: Fire
Unseelie (Jotunheim) Magic [-4]

Stress:

Mental OOO
Physical OOOOOO(OOOO), Armor:2
Social OOOO

Total Refresh Cost: -14

Notes:
Uses an enormous, ice-rimed sword (normally Weapon:3, Weapon:7 due to strength). Its Unseelie Magic is not truly from Winter Faerie, coming from the power of Jotunheim instead, but it is mechanically identical to true Unseelie Magic.

This frost giant is a small one, only about 14' tall and weighing slightly over a ton. They grow much larger, however; such frost giants will have Mythic Strength and/or Toughness, and possibly greater Recovery. The giants are highly variable in form; some might have Claws or a Breath Weapon. Frost giants with greater magical powers might wield Glamours or Greater Glamours, or full Evocation, Thaumaturgy, and perhaps some Refinement. Jotuns (eldest and strongest of the kind) approach plot-device level; Utgard-Loki, were he to reappear, might well be a match for Uriel or a Faerie Queen.

An example of a more powerful Frost Giant:
Elder Frost Giant
High Concept: Heir to the Jotuns' Power
Other Aspects: Master of Frost; Big But Not Stupid

Skills:

Superb: Weapons, Discipline, Conviction
Great: Endurance, Lore, Might
Good: Alertness, Intimidation, Presence
Fair: Athletics, Fists, Presence, Survival

Powers:

Evocation [-3]
Refinement [-2]
Hulking Size [-2]
Mythic Strength [-6]
Mythic Toughness [-6]
Inhuman Recovery [-2]
   The Catch [+2]: Fire
Unseelie (Jotunheim) Magic [-3]

Specializations: Evocation: Elements (Air, Spirit, Water); Control: Air +1, Water +1; Power: Air +2, Water +1.

Stress:

Mental OOOO +1 mild consequence
Physical OOOOOO(OOOOOO), Armor:3
Social OOOO +1 mild consequence

Total Refresh Cost: -22

Notes:
Uses a truly colossal, ice-rimed sword (normally Weapon:4, Weapon:10 due to strength). Its Unseelie Magic is not truly from Winter Faerie, coming from the power of Jotunheim instead, but it is mechanically identical to true Unseelie Magic.

This frost giant stands about 20 feet tall and weighs about 3 1/2 tons.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 09:49:47 PM by vultur »

Offline The_Pentagram

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2010, 10:01:44 PM »
I can't believe no one has done this yet:

Cthulhu :P
High Concept: Oldest of the Old Ones
Other Aspects: Depicition of Madness, Last of the Plane Vhoorl, Made of Foreign Matter,
Skills, Powers, etc.
Pointless to list them, if you absolutely need them assume legendary at worst, although most skills are probably higher. If you go up against Cthulhu, you lose. Period. Cthulhu has no weaknesses and you cannot escape. If Cthulhu wants you dead, you're dead.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2010, 10:37:27 PM »

Other Aspects: Depicition of Madness, Last of the Plane Vhoorl, Made of Foreign Matter,
Skills, Powers, etc.
Pointless to list them, if you absolutely need them assume legendary at worst, although most skills are probably higher. If you go up against Cthulhu, you lose. Period. Cthulhu has no weaknesses and you cannot escape. If Cthulhu wants you dead, you're dead.

If he'd exist in the Dresden Vers he'd be a unstatable plot device, as he'd be even superior to all the unstatable NPC of OW combined ...

Tbora

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2010, 10:43:40 PM »
I want to see the slender man

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2010, 06:29:35 AM »

Skills, Powers, etc.
The Catch is steamships. 
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2010, 03:05:34 PM »

I had the impression that the Old Ones were more or less the Outsiders in the Dresdenverse. I have a player who I will not let play a wizard/sorcerer because I am certain he'd start trying to summon Cthulhu.

If he'd exist in the Dresden Vers he'd be a unstatable plot device, as he'd be even superior to all the unstatable NPC of OW combined ...
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Offline ironchicken

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2010, 05:15:39 PM »
I had the impression that the Old Ones were more or less the Outsiders in the Dresdenverse. I have a player who I will not let play a wizard/sorcerer because I am certain he'd start trying to summon Cthulhu.

I agree old ones = outsiders. However, things like deep ones, hounds of tndelous and Cthulu Ghouls may be interesting alternatives.