Author Topic: Fan License  (Read 34655 times)

Offline kalanthros

• Participant
    • View Profile
Fan License
« on: May 14, 2010, 09:49:42 AM »
I'm sure this has been asked somewhere before - but is there a copy of the Creative Commons Licence somewhere that we can link to/post on our websites in order to denote that anything we "publish" in regards to the RPG (such as our City writeups, characters, etc) is "legit" in some fashion? (And to keep the Sidhe lawyers at bay...) ;)

Edit:  General Jim Butcher Fanfic policy.  Iago's response to this topic -Serack
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 11:51:01 AM by Serack »

Offline Jeckel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Fan License
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 12:55:05 PM »
...a copy of the Creative Commons Licence somewhere that we can link to/post on our websites...

Here is some general info about linking to the Creative Commons license that Jim Butcher has release fan fiction under.

If you are wanting to put a link to the Creative Commons license in a web page you can go to the CC License Generator page and pick 'no' to the Allow commercial uses of your work? question and 'yes' to the Allow modifications of your work? question, then go to the bottom of the page and click the Select a License button. It will then give you a page where you can pick the license icon and some other options and then you can copy the generated HTML code for the link.

Here is the text CC provides for the Attribution-Non Commercial license. Prob not properly worded for saying your deriving from a CC licensed work, but it is a place to start.

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/us/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.

And just for completeness, here is the direct link to the summary of the license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/us/

And a direct link to the actual legal code of the full license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/us/legalcode

*Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advise.
For evil to conquer, good men need only do nothing.
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
When Scientists ask questions, Engineers build answers.

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Realities PBW restart
Re: Fan License
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 06:33:21 PM »
What is the situation with fan generated material?

I started 'writing some notes' for my con games this year and it has got a bit out of hand - becoming a full city source book of 46K words and 120+ pages...
(and its still not totally finished - I still have to detail the lycanthropes, 2 night clubs and the NPC stats.)

I would kind of like to share this with people, but I don't want to get sued for breaching I.P.
So what do I need to do?
Do I need to clear this with any one? If so who?
How do I distribute it? Is there any where specific I need to put it online, or do people have to mail me for it? (its currently about 3MB,and its not going to get smaller)
I would HATE to be a character in one of the stories I write -
and then there are the days when it looks too much like I AM!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 07:43:26 PM »
I am not Evil Hat, and I don't know much about copyright law.

However, I'm pretty sure that it would be alright if you were to post it to this board.

In fact, the people here would appreciate it. Or at least I would.

If you're worried about legality, consider that:

1. People make cities on the PbP forum all the time.
2. Evil Hat actively tries to encourage creativity among the fanbase.
3. I've posted an absolutely huge number of stunts and characters to this board, and nobody at Evil Hat has complained.

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 08:34:19 PM »
Check out the DFRPG Resources Wiki at http://dfrpg-resources.wikispaces.com/.
ooo... shiny...

sorry, got distracted by your wiki there :)

I think I am going to have to put some thought into how to put this stuff out - originally it was going to be one PDF but that was before it got so big
- and I haven't even started the actually game mechanic stats on the NPC's yet.
And then there are the actual adventures! (at least one of which I have to get written before the end of april as I'm meant to be running it then, and the other 2 are at the start of june.

I may have to do the individual chapters as separate downloadable PDFs to keep the sizes reasonable.

Offline sandchigger

• Conversationalist
  • His Holiness, the Chigg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 03:31:55 PM »
The OGL covers this on p.3 of Your Story, doesn't it?
I may well be silly, but I am never moronic.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 03:46:15 PM »
What is the situation with fan generated material?

We consider this to be governed by the same principles as fan fic and fan art applied to Jim's work in general. I *think* this is documented over in that section of the boards. Busy, can't go hunt for it myself!

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,15307.msg705263.html#msg705263
Here it is!  --Blaze
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 11:59:27 AM by Blaze »
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 05:02:12 PM »
So label with a Creative Commons Licence
Cool, I have one of these I prepared earlier for the stuff I've been writing for Laundry RPG.
I'll just copy that page over :)

Offline sandchigger

• Conversationalist
  • His Holiness, the Chigg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 09:30:41 PM »
Laundry RPG? As in the Cthulhu/British Intelligence stories from Charles Stross Laundry?

IT MUST BE MINE!!!

(where can I find it?)
I may well be silly, but I am never moronic.

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 09:37:46 PM »
At the risk of causing trouble discussing other companies/games

Its published by Cubicle seven

http://shop.cubicle7store.com/epages/es113347.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es113347_shop/Categories/The_Laundry

Forum is here
http://cubicle7.clicdev.com/f/index.php?trk=cubicle7&showforum=28

Now back to your on-topic scheduled broadcast.....

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 10:09:35 PM »
If you like the wiki, why not contribute to it?

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 06:26:33 AM »
Ok. If nothing else I can put the bare bones of Hangover City on there with links to the full version on my Web site.

Edit - I've made a start, but I'm not sure exactly what you are doing on there, so if it's not appropriate let me know and I'll move it elsewhere.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 08:05:57 AM by Team8Mum »

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 12:23:33 PM »
Ok. If nothing else I can put the bare bones of Hangover City on there with links to the full version on my Web site.

Edit - I've made a start, but I'm not sure exactly what you are doing on there, so if it's not appropriate let me know and I'll move it elsewhere.

Looks good to me. 
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 08:34:44 PM »
Ok about half of the 'raw' information is up there now, Like I say in the 'notes' - this is the Player friendly non spoiler version.

The GM/background bits and the fiction will be downloadable from my web site. Hopefully that way Ref's wanting to use the setting can safely let the PC's wander around that with out them reading the juicy stuff and spoiling the game.

Also the stuff on there now should provide inspiration for GM's wanting to use the concepts in their cities with out having to take on all of the madness that is "Merkyside - City of culture (Probably syphilis)" :)

The one concern I have is that the remaining parts are 'less canon' than the stuff I have put up there.
(Covering Chinatown, Living statues, Ghosts and the copious amounts of "Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll" that is Clubland)
Do you want all that up there too or should I just link to the down load?

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 11:02:55 AM »
The one concern I have is that the remaining parts are 'less canon' than the stuff I have put up there.
(Covering Chinatown, Living statues, Ghosts and the copious amounts of "Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll" that is Clubland)
Do you want all that up there too or should I just link to the down load?

I put it up anyway.
Let me know what you think.