Author Topic: Opinion. Did I handle walking on air right?  (Read 1793 times)

Offline Bubba Amon Hotep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Opinion. Did I handle walking on air right?
« on: May 11, 2010, 02:53:36 AM »
First off I realize that Fate is a loose system and you go with what works at the time.  But . . . I always second guess myself after.

One of my players is doing a martial arts style character.  He has faith in KI powers so that is what drives his magic.  Simple enough to say KI can shield him from attacks (shield) and his punches can hit at distance (blast).  He took the focused practitioner, element spirit.

A point in the game came up where he wanted to pull off a wushu style move of walking on air to get to a second story window that was open.  I figured that he could jump 4 feet up to a shield of force/KI, then four feet to a second shield of force/KI, and a final four feet to grab the ledge of the window and pull himself in, which would also need a athletics roll at -2 because it was a second action.  1 action to create the steps and 1 action to navigate the steps.  I figured the Shields would need at minimum a Block:2.  His character could use 4 energy and control it without rolling so I allowed him to create the steps and simply take 1 stress.  Then he had to make a superb (+5) athletics check.  Which he succeeded at only because he spent a fate point and used one of his aspects.

It worked at the time.  However, thinking back on it, did I make it too easy, and would a Block:2 support someones weight?

Opinions?
Thanks in Advance!

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: Opinion. Did I handle walking on air right?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 03:00:36 AM »
heck, I have no idea.  I'd just make someone substitute an evocation for an athletics check, and use that to represent them getting higher than they could under normal circumstances.   What you did seems like an okay substitute, for all I know.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 05:54:52 AM »
It worked, it looked cool, everyone is happy.

If I was doing it off the top of my head.

I'd call that a move of one zone with a barrier effect.
I'd say jumping up a story is a bit out of the range of normal human effort, so call it vs. Athletics +6.

The reliable method: Launch - Power 6. Spend your strain, roll for control, it just works.
The efficient method: Maneuver: Power 3. Rolled vs Mediocre(0) for no resistance, get a tag 'up into the air' to use on the Athletics roll.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 07:35:28 AM »
I think you handled it very nicely. It wasn't difficult because your player's character is very skilled but it definitely was worth rolling some dice. Your players would have made it into the house anyhow, so don't worry to much. It was a cool moment ... everybody wins.
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 11:27:34 AM »
I think we'd all agree that it was a much cooler and fit the character better than trying to shimmy up a drain pipe.  Moderate effort for the mechanical aspect of hitting the steps (since you can't see them) but if he's modeled after movie martial artists then this wouldn't be his first rodeo with something like that (I'd consider creating a rote for it down the road). 

I think JustinS makes a good point in the distance increasing the difficulty of the effect (building to building across a street = more difficult than building to building across an alley for instance).

Offline Bubba Amon Hotep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 12:15:08 PM »
Thanks all.  We will see what the players come up with next.