Author Topic: Total n00b to pen & paper RPG.  (Read 3616 times)

Offline Jen'ari

• Posty McPostington
  • So be it, Jedi.
    • View Profile
    • TUMBLR (NSFW)
Total n00b to pen & paper RPG.
« on: May 06, 2010, 12:41:20 AM »
So last night I DL'ed the PDF's of the game and am reading them. Threw, I am kind of unsure how the whole thing goes down but I presume that it will be explained in the book. Anyone else a total noob and trying this out for the first time?
Peace is a lie; there is only passion
-Through passion, I gain strength - Through strength, I gain power - Through power, I gain victory -
- Through victory, my chains are broken-
The Force shall set me free

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
Re: Total n00b to pen & paper RPG.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 12:51:12 AM »
Reading Chapters 11 and 14 will help immensely with understanding how things tie together.

Building Scenarios (chapter 15) is a good place to go after those two.
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 01:03:14 AM »
I've been gaming about 25 years now. I'm also somewhat obsessed with FATE (the game system that runs the DF RPG). If you have questions or just want to jam about gaming, feel free to talk to me here or in private messages. I'm always happy to help people get into my hobbies.

Offline Jen'ari

• Posty McPostington
  • So be it, Jedi.
    • View Profile
    • TUMBLR (NSFW)
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 02:46:28 AM »
Thanks so much for the info! Yea man I'd love a chance to talk stuff out! I got a small group of people who love the books and wanna play we we never did this before.
-Through passion, I gain strength - Through strength, I gain power - Through power, I gain victory -

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 04:07:42 AM »
You mean your group is totally new to pen and paper RPGs?

hmm, then the best bit of advice I can give you is to remember that it's a game you are playing with your friends so that everyone will have fun.  So if some part of the game or the rules is impeding the fun, don't be afraid to change them around.  Remember though that the rules are partly there t ensure that everyone has 'equal' amounts of fun during the game.  So, for example, all the characters should have equal refresh since "the adventures of Harry Dresden (a -14+ refresh character) and Waldo Butters (a -4 or so refresh character)" would give most of the screen time to Harry, and probably not be as fun for the guy playing Butters.

As for how PnP RPGs are played, the Penny Arcade DnD podcasts seem to have been well received by people.  Of course, they are playing DnD 4th Edition, rather than a FATE based game, but I don't know of any podcast for them.

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 06:19:40 AM »
Additionally.....death to those who use pen on their character sheets.....  ;)

Offline neko128

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 12:55:30 PM »
If you mean you're new to pen and paper RPGs in general, then the most absolutely, critically important rule to remember is: you're in it to have fun.  Don't let a rule get in the way of fun.  Don't let the setting get in the way of fun.  Customize things until your group is happy, if you need to.  It's all about a collaborative story -  the FATE system more than many, with compels and tags on aspects being a core mechanic and major factor in most scenes.  Make sure it's a story you enjoy.  :)

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 02:18:04 PM »
First thing is to take it slow. There are lots of rules. You're not going to memorize them immediately, so don't make that a goal. Nor are you likely to suddenly become a master of in character role playing without practice. So view interacting with the rules and with the playing of roles as entertaining learning experiences. In other words: Remember to have fun.

One of the biggest issues with first time gamers is that they don't know what they're "supposed" to do. There generally aren't one or two obvious options with clear consequences, so they tend to get option paralysis. And that's fine. It happens to all of us. The most important thing is that you choose something you think is interesting that you think will be fun for the group; it doesn't matter if you choose the "right" course of action. So jump in and make a splash.

Now, rules. There are a bunch. Let's look at the very most basic bit of rules: a skill roll. You roll four Fudge dice, then add the rating of a single skill. How hard is the roll? Look at the rating ladder, and check out the adjectives. So, Average (+1) is the difficulty for a roll that a person who is average at that skill will succeed on most of the time (average in this case generally being average for someone who has actually received some training in that area). This part is really simple, and you can use common English adjectives to guide yourself.

Now for Aspects. These are things that are true about your character, at least in a narrative sense. "Built like an ape," for example. Okay, so the thing to remember about Aspects is that they don't come into play unless someone is willing to push some fate points around the table; they're not set modifiers. Being built like an ape doesn't help or hurt you unless fate points change hands. If the GM wants to say that your massive size means you can't go out on a fragile walkway, the GM needs to give you a fate point for that. If  you want your dude who is built like an ape to be better at intimidation because of it, you need to spend a fate point.

The chapter on Aspects covers exactly how they work pretty well, so I won't go into it.

This stuff is what I consider to be the basic bits of playing a FATE game. There's a bunch more, but this stuff is the entry level. I have run games with very little more than this, and they went fine. If you learn this stuff, you'll have the basic stuff you need to get into the additional rules.

If any of this is unclear, please feel free to ask. Meanwhile, go explore this stuff with your new gaming group. Remember to have fun, even if you're pretty sure you messed up the rules. Fun is the important part.

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 04:58:11 PM »
I've been gaming about 25 years now. I'm also somewhat obsessed with FATE (the game system that runs the DF RPG). If you have questions or just want to jam about gaming, feel free to talk to me here or in private messages. I'm always happy to help people get into my hobbies.

Same here (been gaming 32 years).
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 05:08:23 PM »
I haven't been gaming quite that long (I'm not old enough  ;D), but I have been gaming over a decade and I'm good with rules. If you have any problems don't be afraid to ask.

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 05:22:52 PM »
And I've never even played a tabletop roleplaying game in real life, but I do love the Fate rules and think they're made of awesome. And I'm pretty sure I have a fairly good grasp of them. They're actually terribly straightforward and powerful compared to a lot of systems; they just approach things from a bit of a different direction.

I have, however, been RPing and GMing for about five or six years online through MSN and IRC chatrooms. With some of the worst systems to ever use in a chatroom. Well, at least one of them ...
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline Jen'ari

• Posty McPostington
  • So be it, Jedi.
    • View Profile
    • TUMBLR (NSFW)
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 08:15:47 PM »
Thanks, I am not new to the JB Forums, but just new to Table Top/Pen & Paper RPG's all together. Thanks for all the advice! Very much. I appreciate it. I am excited!

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 08:19:36 PM »
Honestly Pen and Paper games.. vary by players..

But the basic idea is an organized cross between cowboys and indians and pretend.

Offline drnuncheon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 01:27:31 AM »
Thanks, I am not new to the JB Forums, but just new to Table Top/Pen & Paper RPG's all together. Thanks for all the advice! Very much. I appreciate it. I am excited!

Wow, what an opportunity - an entire group of newbies who are discovering gaming on their own.  Starting out without all the preconceived notions that you get from learning other games...I am dying to know how it turns out.  You are going to post about it, yes?

Just remember: if you are having fun, you are doing it right. 

Aine

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 02:14:13 AM »
Hiya fellow n00bs!

A bunch of total newbies are starting up the game in the chat, under the helm of an experienced DM, with city creation happening this Sunday and Tuesday nights and group character creation happening afterwards.  We all have the .pdfs and are hoping to struggle through this together!  (and, most importantly, have fun). 

So, if you're new to FATE, totally new, or an experienced RPGer and interested in joining us in the chat, come on over anytime:

http://www.medusasgarden.com/undertown.htm

And I will be updating the schedule for the DFRPG soon!