Author Topic: What would Shagnasty's character sheet look like?  (Read 1727 times)

Offline He who walks in front

• Participant
    • View Profile
What would Shagnasty's character sheet look like?
« on: May 04, 2010, 05:52:19 AM »
Umm pretty much explained in subject just wondering what the layout of his sheet would be.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power I gain victory.
Through victory my chains are broken

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: What would Shagnasty's character sheet look like?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 05:56:11 AM »
Well, here's my version.

Name: Shagnasty
Aspects:
High Concept: Skinwalker Horror Show
Other:
Unspeakable Horror
More Terrible Than Can Be Imagined
Older Than The Hills
Visitor of Such Destruction

Skills:

Like the Denarians, the Skinwalker's skills are not worth listing individually for the most part. Add in True Shapeshifting, and this gets even more ridiculous. The Skinwalker should be assumed to be a Superb threat in Mental or Social conflict of any sort (including it's magical abilities sans Evocation or Thaumaturgy specialties), and a Great conflict physically by default (escept for Guns and Weapons which are Mediocre...it has no need of them), however due to True Shapeshifting it will actually usually be at least Superb but most likely Fantasic in physical contests in the areas it selects (not counting power bonuses)...but being so in one area will leave it at only Fair in another. That won't stop it from ripping your face off, but does give an area to focus your effort...until it changes shape again. That's basically how Listens-to-Wind beat the bastard.

Powers:

Evocation [-3]
Thaumaturgy [-3]
The Sight [-1]
Refinement [–7]
Modular Abilities: 11 points worth [-13]
True Shapeshifting [-4]
Supernatural Recovery [-4]
The Catch is Holy Stuff, and specifically Navajo holy stuff, though nuclear weapons work, too [+2]

Total: -33 Refresh

Specializations:

Evocation: Elements (Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Spirit); Power (Air+1, Water +1, Spirit+2), Control (Air+1, Water +1, Spirit+2)
Thaumaturgy: Complexity (Veils+2, Wards+1, Transformation and Disruption+1); Control (Wards+1, Transformation and Disruption+1)

Focus Items:
None known. It probably doesn't feel the need. If it did, probably two rings each giving +1 Power and Control with Spirit, one Offensive, one Defensive

Stress:

Mental: OOOO (+1 Minor Consequence)
Physical: OOOO (Sometimes up to OOOOOO more, plus one additional Minor Consequence)
Social: OOOO (+1 Minor Consequence)
Armor: 0 to 3 depending on Form.

Notes:

It's not actually physically imposing unless it wants to be. Listens-to-Wind kicked it's ass not by technically equalling it's shapeshifting modularity, but by being flat out more skill heavy and smarter than the sonofabitch. As well as a much better magician.

In sorcerous combat, the Skinwalker isn't actually  completely out of Harry's league per se... until you start taking into account things like Mythic Touughness and Recovery.

It's good at veils and can have Mythic Speed (or anything else) when it wants to. It's a nightmare of epic proportions, but not actively unbeatable...technically.

And the thread it came from, be warned Changes spoilers abound: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,16552.0.html

Offline troubles third son

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 06:09:24 AM »
Probably something like this, based more of a sponsored magic and a few powers than strait wizardry. 

Aspects:
 Skinwalker, former Messenger of the Gods
Most Disturbing Thing you will ever see
Old as Time
Relishes in Destruction

all relevant fighting/magic/disguise skills Superb or better

-4 True Shapeshifer
-2 Mimic Form redundant
-3 Incite Emotion (Fear/Despair?, at Range, Potent)
-20 (or maybe more?) Modular Abilities
-w/ Supernatural (or possibly Mythic) Speed/Toughness/Strength/Recover
   probably a +0 catch unless there is something we don't know about it
-2 Glamor redundant
-4 Sponsored Magic (Divine Power of old Navajo gods)
-5 Refinement

Refresh -36 (at least)

I don't think I am leaving anything out, thats one frightening beastie, I feel sorry for harry all over again, but really something like this is more of a plot device than a stated threat
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 06:21:27 AM by troubles third son »
The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly. -TR

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 06:13:00 AM »
I originally gave mine Mimic Form, but if you look at it, it's actually redundant with/already a part of Tru Shapeshifting.

Having magic, I see no need for it to possess Glamour...it does it's Veils with Evocation or Thaumaturgy and it's alternate forms with True Shapeshifting.

And I see no evidence of Shagnasty having Sponsored Magic. It's nature as a fallen messenger of the gods notwithstanding.

Offline troubles third son

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 06:19:23 AM »
Ah I see I didn't realize Mimic Form is redundant with True Shapeshifting, I figured it for a more specific/directed power.

I am not certain about the sponsored magic bit, since things like The summer/winter ladies have sponsored magic (in appropriate forms) I have been thinking about sponsored magic more a tapping into power in different ways (often through an entity but not always) So I would use it for creatures with interesting power sources like Shag here, but I can see going the other way as well. 
The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly. -TR

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 06:22:40 AM »
Yeah, I can see that. Obviously not the way I'd do it, but I can see the logic. Though, mechanically, you can't take Refinement along with pure Sponsored Magic except for Item slots (since Sponsored Magic is sorta Channeling and Ritual).

Oh, and I didn't give mine Incite Emotion because I don't think it does that intentionally. It's just ridiculously mindbreaking to the Sight (which is it's own rule set). I can see the other argument on that one, though.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 06:28:00 AM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 08:05:06 PM »
It gains power from fear, I think it should have Emotional Vampire as well as Incite Emotion.

I'd give it, as an absolute minimum package:

Evocation [-3]
Thaumaturgy [-3]
for its magical abilities;

Emotional Vampire [-1]
Incite Emotion (At Range) [-2]
for its 'feeds on fear' stuff;

True Shapeshifting [-4]
Modular Abilities [-6]
for its shapeshifting;

Inhuman Speed [-2]
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
Inhuman Recovery [-2]
The Catch (Dine Blessing Way Rituals) (+0)*
for general physical power.

(that's -27 Refresh)

It probably also needs:
Refinement [-2] (one each for Evocation and Thaumaturgy)
The Sight [-1]

to boost its wizard/sorcerer powers; that comes up to -30 Refresh, which is probably enough.

*could be +1, but TC seems to imply it requires not just the ritual, but the ritual being performed by someone of Navajo ancestry and actually inducted into the Navajo shamanic culture, so it seems a pretty tricky Catch.

But to boost it further I'd give more Modular Abilities and upgrade some of the Inhuman physical abilities to Supernatural. (Though, as is, it's supposed to do that with its Modular Abilities as appropriate to its shape; a falcon-form would have Supernatural Speed and Wings, a bear-form would have Hulking Size and Supernatural Strength, etc.)

High concept: Fear-Feeding Nightmare
other aspects: Hungry for Magic
Ancient Knowledge
Timeless Malice
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 08:11:16 PM by vultur »