Author Topic: Golems & Genies  (Read 2266 times)

Offline Buscadera

• Conversationalist
  • Machiavelli ain't got nothin' on me.
    • View Profile
Golems & Genies
« on: April 29, 2010, 05:57:50 PM »
The conversation about familiars set me thinking about characters who don't do combat themselves, but outsource that to someone else. I had an idea about a year before the game was released for an artist character who created golems to do his dirty work. Another idea would be someone like Johnny/Jakeem Thunder from JSA, who doesn't have magic of his own but does have access to a genie.

My question is, how would you best model characters like these?
"Gus, I'm a lyrical gangster. I'll use some colorful vernacular and if necessary, you'll engage in fisticuffs" -Shawn Spencer

"Doesn't that suck? I just hit you for no reason. I don't even know why." -Harry Lockhart

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Golems & Genies
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 06:01:24 PM »
Summoning, then having the summoned beasty hang about. Really, that's the way to do it. You and the GM can talk over stats and loyalty, but it should work pretty well.

Offline Bubba Amon Hotep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 04:29:53 AM »
Wouldn't the process of making a zombie, be nearly the same as creating a golem, or animating that suit of plate armor to fight for you?  At least in game mechanics?

Offline Buscadera

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 04:46:25 AM »
The summoning rules would work for a temporary golem, sure. But I'm talking a long-term companion character, like a kabbalist following in the footsteps of rabbi Loew with his one faithful golem in tow. How would you model that one continuous quasi-NPC who tags along with your character?

I could probably model an effective genie with:
  • Item of Power: Magic Lamp/Pen [+2]
  • Demonic Co-Pilot [-1]
  • Sponsored Magic: Genie Magic [-4]
  • Total: -3 Refresh
"Gus, I'm a lyrical gangster. I'll use some colorful vernacular and if necessary, you'll engage in fisticuffs" -Shawn Spencer

"Doesn't that suck? I just hit you for no reason. I don't even know why." -Harry Lockhart

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 04:55:24 AM »
That's a valid approach. I was actually referring to long-term companions with my previous answer, though. That's wht the permanent binding rules are for, more or less.

Offline Biff Dyskolos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 06:50:05 PM »
The summoning rules would work for a temporary golem, sure. But I'm talking a long-term companion character, like a kabbalist following in the footsteps of rabbi Loew with his one faithful golem in tow.

Faithful? Didn't Loew's golem turned on him?

Offline Buscadera

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 08:28:13 PM »
Faithful? Didn't Loew's golem turned on him?

In some versions of the story, but the most common retelling has the Emperor begging for the golem to be "turned off" when it begins killing gentiles without ever harming any of the Jews.