Author Topic: Problem Stunts  (Read 3170 times)

Offline Nudge

• Participant
    • View Profile
Problem Stunts
« on: April 25, 2010, 01:44:51 PM »
Going through the Stunts list, I noticed that a few just didn't seem worthwhile.  (More "didn't appeal", but that's a personal thing - I'm more focused on Stunts that I saw not being worth the expense to the person that worthwhile.)   I also saw one or two that confused me in certain ways. I'm listing them here so others can point out where I'm wrong, or the authors can tell me how it's already been fixed :)

Overall - Recovery Justification: The "justification for recovery" Stunts seem inconsistent, and some seem like a stunt wouldn't be necessary.  (A concussion is bad, but a good roll of relevant knowledge should allow for recovery without a stunt, for example.  Not to mention that I don't think Empathy really helps recover from social consequence "WENT BONKERS AND DANCED NAKED ON THE DEAN'S DESK")

Overall - Faster: The "does this faster" Stunts are hurt by the fact that I can't find strong guidelines for how long things SHOULD take in most cases.  I'd suspect in short order the GM would mentally start adjusting for the existence of the stunt (unintentionally), removing the benefit.  I don't think this is an error, but I personally would tend to be leery of them for that reason or at the very least adopt an "ask how long, argue if it is high, them remind of stunt" policy.

Athletics - Too Fast to Hit:  It says "gain an additional +1 to the roll when making such a move".  First, Couldn't that be multiple moves?  (Full Defense isn't a block).  Second, it's unclear if the bonus +1 applies only if you are moving zones while using Full Defense.

Contacts - Ear to the Ground: Any reason the Difficulty is reduced instead of getting a +2?  I know it works out the same, but it's a bit odd to be different.

Conviction - Resilient Self-Image: I know this was pegged as being too strong; I don't recall what the fix was.

Conviction - Tower of Faith: Armor for both mental AND social seems a bit strong (an argument can be made that physical is more frequent - I'm willing to hear that argument)

Deceit - Pick-Pocket: Actually, this is fine (I like it!) I just found it odd that it didn't include a page reference like the other sections did (page 126)

Deceit - Stage Magician: Why not say the +1 bonus stacks with the Pick Pocket stunt, making it more clear that it applies to pick pocket attempts even if you don't have the stunt?

Empathy - Counselor: See "Recovery Justification" above.  I'd have a hard time arguing with someone that has a high Empathy that they can't work to help someone with a moderate consequence.  Requiring justification is good - requiring stunts for those is harsh. (but that may just be me).  Wouldn't this be better as a bonus to rolls to provide justification?

Endurance - No Pain, No Gain: Already has been ruled too strong; Don't recall the fix

Fists - Martial Artist: See other thread, but (a) I would've assumed that Fists COULD do assessments on fighters without the Stunt (p115 says it's usually perception or knowledge skills, but this seems perfectly appropriate).  and (b) Why is this a prereq (and the only prereq in the game?)  I don't see a problem with dropping the entire prereq concept given the stunts presented.  If you're keeping this Stunt, I'd revise Assessments (p115) to create a hard line that without stunts, it's perception and knowledge skills ONLY.  (Side note: Guns grants Gun Knowledge(p131), why doesn't Fists grant Brawling knowledge?)

Fists - Lethal Weapon: Weapon:2 seems too strong.  Weapon:1?  Or is it because it's only vs unarmored opponents?

Fists - Step Into the Blow: Someone can sacrifice several actions in stack as written (though they'd be reeling from so many failed defenses, it can happen).  That seems...weird.  Round 1: 4 guys smack the center guy, center guy smacks all of them.  They spend the next 3 rounds running/debating/ordering pizza while he waits for an action.

Might - Wrestler: Already fixed to be +1 to maintain a grapple.  (or break?)

Performance - Pointed Performance: I have the desire now to rewrite Hamlet as a series of DFRPG-FATE conflicts... Nothing wrong with the stunt though.

Presence - Teflon Persona: This is fine, but makes Tower of Faith still look too strong.

Weapons - Riposte: See Fists - Step Into the Blow for discussion of limiting how many actions you can sacrifice.  Why is this successful vs that stunts roll at +1?

Comments/Corrections welcome!

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Problem Stunts
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 03:54:28 PM »
Going through the Stunts list, I noticed that a few just didn't seem worthwhile.  (More "didn't appeal", but that's a personal thing - I'm more focused on Stunts that I saw not being worth the expense to the person that worthwhile.)   I also saw one or two that confused me in certain ways. I'm listing them here so others can point out where I'm wrong, or the authors can tell me how it's already been fixed :)

I’ll see what I can do.

Overall - Recovery Justification: The "justification for recovery" Stunts seem inconsistent, and some seem like a stunt wouldn't be necessary.  (A concussion is bad, but a good roll of relevant knowledge should allow for recovery without a stunt, for example.  Not to mention that I don't think Empathy really helps recover from social consequence "WENT BONKERS AND DANCED NAKED ON THE DEAN'S DESK")

Uh, both those are more Minor Consequences, not Moderate or Severe. Moderate or Severe are things like a broken leg or “Really Bad Reputation” or “Massive Emotional Trauma”. Shit that definitely take a while and help to get over. And they’re what you need Stunts to help with. Maybe that’s what you’re having trouble with?

And you’re right, Counselor doesn’t always help with Social Consequences depending on the social consequences in question, but social consequences can be emotional things like “Flustered” or “Terrified of Embarrassment” or “Overwhelming Rage at Harry Dresden”. The last two might well be severe enough to require therapy, too.

Overall - Faster: The "does this faster" Stunts are hurt by the fact that I can't find strong guidelines for how long things SHOULD take in most cases.  I'd suspect in short order the GM would mentally start adjusting for the existence of the stunt (unintentionally), removing the benefit.  I don't think this is an error, but I personally would tend to be leery of them for that reason or at the very least adopt an "ask how long, argue if it is high, them remind of stunt" policy.

I think I disagree. The GM is more likely to just forget the existence of the speeding things up Stunts (at least in my experience) or ignore them intentionally and just figure out how long the task should logically take.

Athletics - Too Fast to Hit:  It says "gain an additional +1 to the roll when making such a move".  First, Couldn't that be multiple moves?  (Full Defense isn't a block).  Second, it's unclear if the bonus +1 applies only if you are moving zones while using Full Defense.

I believe “such a move.” refers to moving one or more zones, and didn’t find the wording confusing. You can move while using Full Defense, and if you do you get an additional +1 to dodge. What’s unclear?

Contacts - Ear to the Ground: Any reason the Difficulty is reduced instead of getting a +2?  I know it works out the same, but it's a bit odd to be different.

Probably aesthetic. But like you say, it’s not really a big deal.

Conviction - Resilient Self-Image: I know this was pegged as being too strong; I don't recall what the fix was.

They now only apply vs. torture or similar things.

Conviction - Tower of Faith: Armor for both mental AND social seems a bit strong (an argument can be made that physical is more frequent - I'm willing to hear that argument)

Bear in mind the Armor only applies if you have time to pray, so it’s not always usable. That goes a long way towards balancing it.

Deceit - Pick-Pocket: Actually, this is fine (I like it!) I just found it odd that it didn't include a page reference like the other sections did (page 126)

Huh. No idea. But again, not too big a deal.

Deceit - Stage Magician: Why not say the +1 bonus stacks with the Pick Pocket stunt, making it more clear that it applies to pick pocket attempts even if you don't have the stunt?

I’m betting it’s intentional. Picking pockets isn’t something all stage magicians are either good at or really capable of.

Empathy - Counselor: See "Recovery Justification" above.  I'd have a hard time arguing with someone that has a high Empathy that they can't work to help someone with a moderate consequence.  Requiring justification is good - requiring stunts for those is harsh. (but that may just be me).  Wouldn't this be better as a bonus to rolls to provide justification?

Speaking as a Psychology Major (and one planning on going into therapy), no matter how nice and empathetic you may be, or how good at reading people, long-term ongoing psychological problems (which are what Moderate and higher Consequences represent) require a very specific skill set to deal with. It’s not necessarily one that requires formal training, but it’s not one everybody with a high Empathy is gonna have.

Additionally, from a gameplay perspective, there’s the necessary symmetry with being a Medical Doctor and fixing physical consequences.

Endurance - No Pain, No Gain: Already has been ruled too strong; Don't recall the fix

It now only provides one consequence instead of two.

Fists - Martial Artist: See other thread, but (a) I would've assumed that Fists COULD do assessments on fighters without the Stunt (p115 says it's usually perception or knowledge skills, but this seems perfectly appropriate).  and (b) Why is this a prereq (and the only prereq in the game?)  I don't see a problem with dropping the entire prereq concept given the stunts presented.  If you're keeping this Stunt, I'd revise Assessments (p115) to create a hard line that without stunts, it's perception and knowledge skills ONLY.  (Side note: Guns grants Gun Knowledge(p131), why doesn't Fists grant Brawling knowledge?)

This one I’m not sure I disagree with you completely on, and I’ll leave responses to others.

Fists - Lethal Weapon: Weapon:2 seems too strong.  Weapon:1?  Or is it because it's only vs unarmored opponents?

The armor restriction is HUGE, especially considering that any Wizard can have armor via magic AND anything with Inhuman Toughness has natural armor. The stunt’s actually debatably too weak since it deserts you when you need it most (vs. big, tough, opponents).

Fists - Step Into the Blow: Someone can sacrifice several actions in stack as written (though they'd be reeling from so many failed defenses, it can happen).  That seems...weird.  Round 1: 4 guys smack the center guy, center guy smacks all of them.  They spend the next 3 rounds running/debating/ordering pizza while he waits for an action.

I’d rule it can only be used once per round. Still, that should perhaps be made explicit.

Indeed.

Performance - Pointed Performance: I have the desire now to rewrite Hamlet as a series of DFRPG-FATE conflicts... Nothing wrong with the stunt though.

Heh. Yeah, that could be fun.

Presence - Teflon Persona: This is fine, but makes Tower of Faith still look too strong.

But it requires no prep-time. It works even if you’re not expecting a social conflict.

Weapons - Riposte: See Fists - Step Into the Blow for discussion of limiting how many actions you can sacrifice.  Why is this successful vs that stunts roll at +1?

Because it effectively lets you use your defense as an attack and their attack as a defense for your next action. That’s actually it’s only advantage…and one that wouldn’t work for Step Into the Blow due to the way that stunt works.

Offline Nudge

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 04:40:31 PM »
Uh, both those are more Minor Consequences, not Moderate or Severe.

I'm glad I'm not your Dean :)  I was shooting for Moderate in my choices. 

Shit that definitely take a while and help to get over. And they’re what you need Stunts to help with. Maybe that’s what you’re having trouble with?

Yes.  My reasons are three fold:

1) People get over such things in reality without trained help.  Not always, and trained help makes it more likely, but trained help has existed only for a short span of humanity (and arguably has only been helpful for part of a century) and while some people carry trauma they never recover from, most people are shaped by it without it interfering with their daily lives.  Heck, almost all of us have encountered things like "Bitter Divorce" or "Death of a Loved One" that takes more than a scene to recover from and yet we muddle through with only the support of (untrained) friends and family.  Training helps - no argument - but I don't see it as required. 

2) Fun in the game.  The time aspect of consequences provides plenty of incentive to avoid them.  The GM can say "Look, resharpening your knives does NOT count as working on recovery to your bitter grief, you need to do something to start recovery".  Having a group work to ensure that they've got the stunts among them, as un-fun "requirements" so they can avoid having truly long lasting penalties doesn't sound like the right approach.  Require an RP scene, make a roll (or involve a compel), and recovery has either started or it hasn't.  Training can give a bonus to said roll, improving odds that recovery does start.

3) True to material.  (Note: I've only read the first 4 books thus far, still struggling to find an ebook source for my Sony Reader, so if I'm wrong about later books, feel free to correct me).  Harry carries lots of guilt and trauma.  I'm not seeing him have an encounter and then making an appointment with his therapist.  No, one of his friends stops by and starts a scene like "Harry, you need to stop isolating yourself/holding back your emotions/blaming yourself for what happened to (insert name here)/PIssing off the Council".  (Okay, that latter's not due to trauma).  Sometimes it starts him thinking right off, sometimes it takes a scene or two, but he comes around.  I sincerely doubt Harry surrounds himself with allies that all have the necessary stunt.

Basically #2 is my primary driver though.  Consequences require WORK to fix, I get that, I encourage that.  I don't see _requiring_ stunts to start that recovery as fun, I see requiring(encouraging) roleplaying as fun. 

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 04:53:26 PM »
Hmmm. I think maybe you're thinking about this wrong in a different way from what I thought: The stunts aren't required per se, a good justification is (says so right in the Consequences section).

Having the stunts and helping the person is just automatically a good justification. No bells and whistles required. There's precedent for this idea in the fact that magic can sub in for medical skill, at least theoretically, and the idea of cleaning up your rep to get rid of "Bad Reputation".

I actually think that's the intent they were going for, and perhaps it'll help you to look at it like that.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 04:58:43 PM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 04:22:13 PM »
Nudge, first, thanks very much for taking the time to go through the list. While I don't agree with every assessment, this sort of thing is definitely a service to us, and it's appreciated.

We're comfortable with the consistency level of things, here. Social consequence justification (with Counselor) is gonna depend on the particulars of the consequence. Or you could make this just about mental consequence recovery and give another stunt, "Public Relations Expert" for the social-consequences-as-public-opinion issues. :)

This is a fair concern, but one that's not likely to get addressed.  How long things will take will vary from game to game, circumstance to circumstance. They represent the player having a shift or two to spend on "making it go faster", which is a core function of a skill roll anyway, so the expectation is that the GM will parse both in the same fashion.

It's the idea that if you're doing a full defense, you can do the supplemental action of "move one zone" for -1 to the roll, only you don't get the -1 to the roll (that's the first effect of the stunt) and you get a +1 to your full defense bonus. It's not multiple moves. :)

Reworded:

Too Fast to Hit: When making a full defense (page 199), gain an additional +1 to the roll (for a total of +3) if you also take a supplemental action to move one zone. You do not take the usual –1 penalty for the supplemental action.

Well, the whole difficulty reduction thing is partly on the notion that maybe there's a "doesn't go lower than Mediocre" principle in action. You're right though, you can always state it as a +2 if that's your preference. Remember: when you take a stunt, YOU word it. These are just examples.

I forget the original version but I think this may have been a case of the benefit remaining but the circumstances of its applicability getting narrowed. Here's the current draft version:

Resilient Self-Image: Your sense of self is strong, enabling you to endure more psychological punishment than most. When facing torture or other extreme interrogation techniques, You may take two additional mild mental consequences (page 203).

Deadmanwalking got this right by & large. It's both a more frequent physical thing and a "you have to pray to get this benefit" thing. Since you have to take deliberate specific action to enjoy that benefit, the stunt's a little more broad in its application.

Underneath "Deceit" it presently says "Skill & Trappings, page 126" -- if that was missing, it's been put in, and if you're talking about a page reference specifically inside that stunt, it was likely deemed redundant.

I like this suggestion, so I've adopted it.

See commentary above, as well as Deadmanwalking's statement. The idea is that the stunts provide a guaranteed justification; it's baked right in, the way that going to a doctor is more likely to get you a course of treatment that actually works than going to your buddy down the street who maybe took a first aid course once.

No Pain, No Gain: You can take a bunch of punishment before it starts to add up. You may take one additional mild physical consequence (page 203).

(This is a rare case of a broadly applicable stunt, but consequences by their nature are expendable, which is where the justification for going broad comes from. But yes, we've cut it down from two milds to one because of that broad application.)

Well, Guns doesn't grant a defense roll, right? So there's general precedent for some trappings existing with one skill but not another.

That said, I do think it may make sense to 1) drop the prerequisite business for Martial Arts (but still note the notion of prereqs as a way to justify more potent stunts as a stunt building option) and to give a small bonus, like a +1, on the assessment roll.

I feel that, sans prerequisite, Lethal Weapon is about right: a Weapon:2 effect that you get in a limited circumstance.  That said, I could see broadening it a little by allowing it to apply partially against Armor:1 opponents: "Each point of Armor the opponent has reduces this Weapon value by 1, so this is Weapon:1 vs. Armor:1 and no benefit against targets with Armor:2 or better." So that may get edited in.

Nope. If you don't have a next-round action to sacrifice, you can't use the ability. I'll make sure that clarification gets in there.

Yes.

Indeed! Hamlet is full of classic social conflict examples.

You don't have to deliberately activate Teflon Persona, which is the point on which those balance.

Just different flavor. One version (Riposte) means you get the benefit as is achieved via your defense roll; another brings in the potential to improve that result or miss. It's basically a "risk-range" vs. a "take it as it is" thing, which for me at least is a zero sum tweak.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 04:52:32 PM by iago »
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 05:08:43 PM »
linking to another thread with a similar theme. http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,17651.20.html
Brian Blacknight

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 05:11:41 PM »
linking to another thread with a similar theme. http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,17651.20.html

I ain't gotten to Claws yet, though I am likely to do my "middle road" thing I mentioned there.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Victim

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 10:56:29 PM »

No Pain, No Gain: You can take a bunch of punishment before it starts to add up. You may take one additional mild physical consequence (page 203).

(This is a rare case of a broadly applicable stunt, but consequences by their nature are expendable, which is where the justification for going broad comes from. But yes, we've cut it down from two milds to one because of that broad application.)

Doesn't that seem a bit weak?  I can see weakening Resilient Self Image, since casters can use their Mild Mentals as ammo pretty often - other characters tend not to take so much self inflicted damage.  However, it seems like most stunts (except attack boosters like Target Rich Environment) provide a situational bonus roughly equivalent to +2 - which cleverly works out to be the same that provided situationally by invoking an Aspect with a Fate Point.  So the stunt becomes worth the refresh when you can use it often, as opposed to just using the Fate point once per session.  Stunts that a character isn't going to use more than once per session aren't worth the refresh in most cases.

But there's a limit to how often you get to use an extra Consequence slot, since it can take a few scenes for even mild damage to recover (without fancy powers).  If you're not using it more than once a session, the stunt is roughly equivalent to just spending a Fate point on a defense roll.  A full +2 there will at worst knock off 2 levels of damage (the same as minor consequence), and may turn an attack into a full miss (which can prevent a lot more damage with high Weapon values).  Granted, Fate point spending may be less efficient since you might already be invoking your useful aspect.  On the other hand, taking a consequence gives your opponent a free tag on it, so it can be less useful than simply taking 2 less damage.

Moreover, the stunt is already somewhat situational in that most characters don't choose to take lots of damage (I already mentioned the exception of spellcasters, who do take damage to fuel their stuff).  Stuff that works in a situation you control or initiate tends to be more useful than something that depends on the other guy.  Especially if it depends on the other guy kicking your ass.  :)  It's generally a good idea to avoid that sort of thing.

While the extra consequence stunts are broadly desirable in that most characters could potentially use greater resilience, they don't really seem like must haves.  It doesn't seem like a huge problem if there were some mortal stunts that everyone wished they had, as opposed to a bunch of "well, if that's your thing..." abilities.

Even a 2 consequence No Pain, No Gain, seems more than 1 refresh worse than Inhuman Toughness, the closest supernatural competition. 

------------------------------------------

Personally, I feel like there's a huge a difference in utility between a stunt giving a situational bonus to one of a character's best skills - especially a skill at the cap level! - and the same situational bonus to a weaker skill.  If you picked something as Great or Superb, you probably plan on using it quite a bit already.  So that's more chances to pick up your situational bonus.  Also, if something is already maxed out, then it's more understandable that additional bonuses are going to come more dearly than before.  If you're normally only allowed 5 Guns, getting 6 some of time with a stunt is like cheating, you know?  :)

On the other hand, unless a character concept is specifically calling for a limited application of a skill, then stunts on weaker skills seem a little disappointing.  They're not "look at this awesome trick I have" and are instead "I wish I had more skill points to buy a higher normal value."

Yeah, powers are supposed to be better than stunts, but if you make normal stunts too weak, people interested in playing pure mortals are going to wonder why they bothered taking them.  And supernaturals will be less likely to round themselves out by supplementing their powers with vanilla tricks.  Sure, powers are limited by High Concept.  However, a stunt not used more than once per session is generally not worth the loss of a refresh compared to just spending the FP.  So it's not like they benefit a lot by picking up stuff willy nilly and ignoring their main concept either.  And having a high concept tied to most of your powers makes it really easy to invoke at least one aspect when using them.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 11:09:49 PM »
Doesn't that seem a bit weak? 
No, not to the guy who's been working on the system for 5 years. :)

It's equivalent to getting a +2 to your Endurance rating if your Endurance was already rated Superb. That's a stunt's bonus, right there.

(And with that, bowing out of this thread as well. Gotta get work done.)
Fred Hicks

Offline Jetan

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 01:33:01 AM »
I realize this probably won't get seen, but I'll add a comment just in case.  Riposte has a use that seems much more powerful than two shifts, and thus seems broken (compared to the discussion of it above). I'll lift the one material comment from the martial arts thread:

"Riposte seems too powerful: as described, it precludes the attacker from employing other means of defense (e.g., it let's an axe wielder parry a mage's wimpy athame attack, skip right past his +10 magical block, do potentially wopping weapon damage, and potentially pop the shield since it was bypassed to boot). Prototypical fencing also has people countering a riposte, setting up an opportunity for it to lead people in, etc. With this stunt as currently written, the target cannot even invoke aspects to save himself form the attack. Perhaps it should permit you an immediate attack at a bonus or some free stress (as in SotC), but not obviate the combat process and all the mechanisms that it engages. Since ripostes worth mentioning are interesting storywise, perhaps it allows you to spend a fate point for a free immediate attack (possibly even at a minus; it is free, after all)."

That's all.

I look forward to *everything*! (Including Iago having bandwidth for more rules variations after the game knocks 'em dead over summer!)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 01:46:15 AM »
I realize this probably won't get seen, but I'll add a comment just in case.  Riposte has a use that seems much more powerful than two shifts, and thus seems broken (compared to the discussion of it above). I'll lift the one material comment from the martial arts thread:

Well, sometimes it's better than two shifts. When fighting another person with a sword (or anyone attacking with Fists who has more Fists than Athletics) it's debatably worse, since it just replaces your next attack with your defense and their next defense with their attack. You could easily have rolled better than that if you'd chanced it, particularly if you outmatch them (or they have lower defense than attack skill). Now, the ability to choose when you use it makes it very nice, but still there are a large subset of times when, mechanically, you're better off not using it. It looks overpowered when you use it, because (by definition) you wait until it's most beneficial to do so. Compare it to a stunt that gives +1 to all Weapons rolls when fighting a single opponent (or a similar one for fighting groups) in a variety of scenarios and I think you'll find it less broken.

"Riposte seems too powerful: as described, it precludes the attacker from employing other means of defense (e.g., it let's an axe wielder parry a mage's wimpy athame attack, skip right past his +10 magical block, do potentially wopping weapon damage, and potentially pop the shield since it was bypassed to boot).

Shouldn't it? Evocation shields aren't skin tight, if you've reached through to attack somebody you are, in that moment, vulnerable. Though I'd say since it never encountered the shield it doesn't pop it.

Prototypical fencing also has people countering a riposte, setting up an opportunity for it to lead people in, etc. With this stunt as currently written, the target cannot even invoke aspects to save himself form the attack. Perhaps it should permit you an immediate attack at a bonus or some free stress (as in SotC), but not obviate the combat process and all the mechanisms that it engages. Since ripostes worth mentioning are interesting storywise, perhaps it allows you to spend a fate point for a free immediate attack (possibly even at a minus; it is free, after all)."

I think it works fine as is, personally.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 01:50:59 AM by Deadmanwalking »