Author Topic: How to Summon and Bind an Demon  (Read 6637 times)

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
How to Summon and Bind an Demon
« on: April 22, 2010, 07:39:26 PM »
I'll update the first post if something gets changed or I got something wrong.

Changelog:
Big Hammer Ritual added

We use an Submerged Wizard as an example.
He took his Thaumaturgic specialization into Summoning and uses all his Foci Slots as Summoning Foci (+4 Complexity)
His Lore and Disciple are both Superb (+5)
So his Effective Lore for Summoning and Binding Rituals is +10.

The example will asume that the Wizards is in no time rush and wants to play it as safe as possible.
The example Wizard has still 2 free Refreshes to get better at Summoning/Binding or to diversify...

Summoning an Hellhound (because those are cool)

An Hellhound has an
Conviction of Mediocre (0)
Stress Track: 2

First step is the Containment Ritual.
Without an Aspekt and an Fatepoint the Hellhound can get an maximum of +4 on his defense Roll.
So theoretical an +5 Containment Riutal would be enough, but since we want to play it safe and the Wizards can use a Containment Ritual 10 without preparation we use an Complexity 10 Containment Ritual...
The Wizard beginns to slowly cast the Ritual (only +1 Power per exchange) so he isnt in danger of an bad roll.

Second step is the Summoning Ritual.
Since we have time, we use an Complexity 10 Summoning Ritual (cast again very slowly)

Third step is the Binding Ritual.
We have two objectives.
1. Binding the Hellhound
2. The Binding should last as long as possible (Time isnt allways available...)
We use 5 Shifts for the Binding and 5 Shifts for an extended duration.
The Hellhound cant succed against the Binding Ritual (without using Fatepoints). If he does use an Fatepoint, he is still Contained and our Wizard cast the Ritual again (which doesnt need preparation).
Lets say the Hellhound doesnt use an Fatepoint but rolls +4 with the dice. So he gets an Stressbox filled.
Our Wizard cast the Ritual again. The Dice are with the Hellhound, again +4. His second Stessbox is filled.
With the third binding Ritual he gets an mild consequence.
With the fourth binding Ritual he gets an moderate consequence.
With the fifth binding Ritual he gets an severe consequence.
With the sixth binding Ritual an exteme consequence.
With the seventh binding Ritual he gets taken out and is bound.

Thats an worst case scenario.

Lets count that where nine Rituals (and for none of those the Wizard got mental stress, correct?)
Those nine Rituals took 90 exchanges (how much would that be in real time?)
With five Shifts into an extended Binding Time, that Hellhound would be bound for 1 month (basis is an Afternoon, right?)

If the Hellhound got experience with being bound and would know that he had no chances...
The process would be over after the third Ritual (30 exchanges).
Even if this was the first time, I dont think he would take an extreme consequence...

Alternate third step: The big Hammer Ritual
Best posible Defense Roll with an Aspect invoked: +6
All consequences: +20 (mild, moderate, severe and extreme)
Stress boxes filled: +3
Extra Time: +5
Would be an +34 Ritual (34 - 10 = 24 shifts needs to be researched/prepared).
+2 for a sacrified chicken
+2 for an mild mental consequence
+4 for an moderate mental consequence
We need 8 tags/assesments for the remaining +16 shift.
We make Lore assesments for the right time (+2), the right symbols (+2), the right Binding outfit (+2).
We make Ressource assesments for better quality Binding chalk imported from Uruquay (+2), an fresh liver of an cow for the Hound to eat (gets into the containment circle) (+2), an Hardcopy of Wolf who Rules (+2), 5 different Objects into the corner of the pentagramm (1 dog mark with the Wizards name on it, 1 dog collar, 1 lash, 1 whip, 1 sedative) (+10)
We make an Discipline assesment for prober concentration (+2).
Lets count that would be 12 assesments, lets hope 8 of those will be succesfull (if more are succesfull, we save on the consequences)

This ritual would need 34 exchanges to cast.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 07:25:15 AM by Korwin »

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: How to Summon and Bind an Demon
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 08:00:01 AM »
Summoning Chauncy

Chauncy has an
Conviction of Fair (+2)
Stress Track: 3

First step is the Containment Ritual.
Without an Aspekt and an Fatepoint Chauncy can get an maximum of +6 on his defense Roll.
An +10 Containment Ritual should be still enough.
The Wizard beginns to slowly cast the Ritual (only +1 Power per exchange) so he isnt in danger of an bad roll.

Second step is the Summoning Ritual.
Since we have time, we use an Complexity 10 Summoning Ritual (cast again very slowly)

Third step is the Binding Ritual.
We have again two objectives.
1. Binding Chauncy
2. The Binding should last as long as possible (Time isnt allways available...)

We could use the same Binding Ritual for Chauncy as for the Hellhound. If we do the Demon has to roll an +3 on the Conviction roll. If he manages that, he would need to do the same again 10 exchanges later. Ad infinitum, until he submits.

Summoning  Kalshaza

Kalshaza has apparently an
Conviction of Mediocre (+0)
Stress Track: 2

We use exactly the same procedure as with the hellhound.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 03:18:56 PM »
Again, Chauncy doesn't get bound. He's not forced to do anything. He's summoned & contained. Kalshazzak on the other hand is contained/summoned/bound.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 04:10:20 PM »
Huh?

He didnt get bound in the book, but he could be bound.
Or did I miss something? (again  ;))

Offline Carabas

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 04:57:04 PM »
How do you arrive at the number of exchanges?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 05:01:22 PM »
He didnt get bound in the book, but he could be bound.
Or did I miss something? (again  ;))

Oh! No, *I* missed something. I thought you were statting rituals-as-found-in-the-novels. If not, bind away!
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 06:16:38 PM »
How do you arrive at the number of exchanges?

Per exchange you say how much Power you want to cast into the ritual.
The sample Wizards has 5 Discipline, so even if he gets an -4 on his Discipline check, he can cast 1 Power into the Ritual without fail.
The complexity of the Ritual says how much Power needs to go into it.

As long as the Ritual is = or < 10 the Wizards dont need to reasearch/prepare the Ritual (10 efficive Lore with the Focus), so the Big Hammer Ritual needs additional time for the research/preparation.

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 07:28:37 PM »
Thanks for setting this all out! You also unintendedly(probably) answered my question about if you can use a single skill to make multiple assesements in a single spell ;D Which it appears you can so thank you very much.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 07:30:55 PM by Archmage_Cowl »
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 08:16:12 PM »
To be honest, I wasnt shure myself.

But since nobody said anything against it (including Iago), I think its correct.
Besides without multiple uses of the same skill, I have no idea how how someone should research/prepare high complexity Rituals (without sacrifying someone/breaking the law).

Offline Biff Dyskolos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 08:50:17 PM »
You know what I don't get about Binding? It's all based on Stress/Consequences and Taking Out the critter. Shouldn't Refresh cost also be a factor too? Two spirits with Superb Endurance have 4 stress and 2/2/4/6/8 consequences.  But if one has a refresh cost of -5 and the other -10 the complexity of the binding is the same.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 09:11:05 PM »
You know what I don't get about Binding? It's all based on Stress/Consequences and Taking Out the critter. Shouldn't Refresh cost also be a factor too? Two spirits with Superb Endurance have 4 stress and 2/2/4/6/8 consequences.  But if one has a refresh cost of -5 and the other -10 the complexity of the binding is the same.

Firstly, it's Conviction that matters, not Endurance.

Secondly, no, I don't think it should matter. Two equally strong willed demons should be equally hard to bind. Period. Now, usually, that'll equate to power somewhat, since imps are likely much lower Conviction than Major Demons.

Also, to summon a Demon you need it's True Name. Personally, I'd make that alot harder to find the higher the Demon's Refresh, since it's got more power and resources to suppress that sort of thing if it wants. And the -20 Refresh ones who want to be summoned and bound? Not a good idea to summon one of those.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 09:24:24 PM »
Also, to summon a Demon you need it's True Name. Personally, I'd make that alot harder to find the higher the Demon's Refresh, since it's got more power and resources to suppress that sort of thing if it wants. And the -20 Refresh ones who want to be summoned and bound? Not a good idea to summon one of those.

Niiiice idea, Deadman.
Fred Hicks

Offline Biff Dyskolos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 10:05:59 PM »
Firstly, it's Conviction that matters, not Endurance.

My mistake.

But still, a creature similar to Toot-Toot could have Superb Conviction and a creature similar to a Fetch could have less than Superb Conviction. Assuming no stunts or powers than provide additional consequences the low refresh cost guy would be harder to bind than the high refresh cost guy.

If we are only talking about a -5 or -10 cost then a True name may not be necessary. I can't recall, did Harry summoned Toot by name in Storm Front?

Offline Biff Dyskolos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 10:08:12 PM »
If we are only talking about a -5 or -10 cost then a True name may not be necessary.

In cases where a True name is required, maybe the refresh cost of the creature should be added to the Complexity?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 10:12:27 PM »
My mistake.

No worries.  :)

But still, a creature similar to Toot-Toot could have Superb Conviction and a creature similar to a Fetch could have less than Superb Conviction. Assuming no stunts or powers than provide additional consequences the low refresh cost guy would be harder to bind than the high refresh cost guy.

Sure, but isn't that appropriate? A strong-willed imp should be harder to bind than a weak-willed thug-like monster, right?

If we are only talking about a -5 or -10 cost then a True name may not be necessary. I can't recall, did Harry summoned Toot by name in Storm Front?

Yes, he did actually. He makes reference to what it cost him to get it, too.

In cases where a True name is required, maybe the refresh cost of the creature should be added to the Complexity?

Why? Why should a bigger, stronger, but weaker willed demon be harder to bind than an imp of enormous will? According to the books, it's pure willpower, why change that?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 10:14:47 PM by Deadmanwalking »