Author Topic: Stats for a taser?  (Read 5422 times)

Offline R00kie

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Whirly Waffles
Re: Stats for a taser?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 12:46:44 PM »
Personally, I'd call it weapon:0, MAAAAYBE weapon:1, but you can't take consequences beyond Mild. If you'd need to and cannot, you're taken out instead.

This might seem severe, but anyone packing a taser isn't intending to kill, and they've only got one shot ready for most models.

Doesn't that make Tasers the ultimate weapon though? To get an guaranteed one-shot take-down on the average person with a Taser you'd need to do do 5 stress (enough so even after taking a mild (-2) consequence the damage fell off the end of their two point stress track). By contrasts with any other weapons you'd have to do 2 (stress track) +20 (mild, moderate, severe and extreme consequences combined) +1 = 23 stress damage to be sure of one shotting them. That's a pretty extreme difference.

Offline void

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 12:55:13 PM »
... how many average people -- not well built, buff, or having gone through conditioning -- do you know that don't drop to the ground in a heap when tazed?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 01:02:20 PM »
And if someone's using a Taser, this implies (at least for NPCs) that they don't intend to kill. Allowing for the whole "captured PC has to escape" scene. While most NPCs go down after a Minor Consequence at most anyway.

Add to that the fact that Tasers mostly only get the one shot (5 Stress in one shot? Not that easy.), or only work in hand to hand, and I think they work out well enough.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 01:04:03 PM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline R00kie

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Whirly Waffles
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 01:02:45 PM »
... how many average people -- not well built, buff, or having gone through conditioning -- do you know that don't drop to the ground in a heap when tazed?
Yes, but most of them drop into a heap when shot with a shotgun or assault rifle just as easily.

Offline void

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 01:09:29 PM »
There's a few other things at work here. First of all, a shotgun or assault rifle is going to be at least weapon:2, so if we're still assuming 5 shifts against an unarmored target with only a stress track of 2, they're going to be taking a 7 stress hit, needing a Moderate and Mild consequence in order to bring down to something that fits in their stress track. Most civilians are going to want a concession at this point; this gets you the same effects, but it's a VASTLY more brutal way to go about business.

Against someone actually wearing armor, or having supernatural defenses, a taser is going to have trouble getting through. Against an actual spellcaster, it might not even work in the first place.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2010, 01:15:09 PM »
Excellent point. Armor should probably be doubled against Tasers using this system just like the others proposed. That'll keep Inhuman Toughness characters and Wizards from just getting tased out. Other people should just get tased out.

Offline void

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2010, 01:19:28 PM »
Personally, I think the armor doubling thing is just an overcomplication, but everyone's game is their game. :)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 02:16:18 PM »
I gotta say I have a problem with any weapon that asserts you don't get access to your full range of consequence slots. Saying you get taken out if you'd have to take more than a mild consequence is severely game-breaking.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline void

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2010, 03:06:31 PM »
To me, the only viable alternative would be to give a Taser something like a weapon:XX rating (with that XX meaning double digits) with a huge stacks of caveats and adjustments by situation, armor, etc, for it to have anything near the threat level it should be for an unarmored target.

To me, that just seems complicated, unnecessary, and it doesn't feel right, whereas my solution did for me and my play group. Didn't you say that was an important criteria?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2010, 03:37:56 PM »
Let's review:

- A taser makes it difficult to take action.
- A taser wears off quickly.
- A taser has trouble making it through armor.

How about treating its as a *block* (prevents action, wears off quickly)?  You zap someone with it, guns vs. athletics. If you hit, the shifts that result can be reduced by armor. The shifts that remain indicate how many exchanges the block will last for (though if the block is overcome, it breaks, like any block).  The weapon itself gets rated with a block strength effect that it simply creates: call it Good or Great depending on the quality of the weapon.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline void

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2010, 04:24:59 PM »
I think there might be some confusion between two applications of a Taser. In 'Drive Stun' mode, it's a pain-oriented deterrent/disruption. In standard distance use, the electrodes disrupt the nervous system directly, without a corresponding (but still some) degree of pain. If you're within the mass tolerance of the charge and the electrodes land securely, it isn't 'difficult' to act. It's simply impossible.

I think a block is just... insufficient, unless you set its difficulty so high it's effectively impossible to break.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2010, 04:29:24 PM »
Honestly this is just a conversational exercise for me. Tasers wouldn't last 5 seconds around the kind of hexing effects I'd expect in most games. :)
Fred Hicks

Offline void

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 04:35:54 PM »
I already said that they wouldn't be much use against or near spellcasters. :D

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2010, 07:01:42 PM »
Let's review:

- A taser makes it difficult to take action.
- A taser wears off quickly.
- A taser has trouble making it through armor.

How about treating its as a *block* (prevents action, wears off quickly)?  You zap someone with it, guns vs. athletics. If you hit, the shifts that result can be reduced by armor. The shifts that remain indicate how many exchanges the block will last for (though if the block is overcome, it breaks, like any block).  The weapon itself gets rated with a block strength effect that it simply creates: call it Good or Great depending on the quality of the weapon.
I like this  :)

When I first thought about it I was think it'd be a cool weapon for my cop character, gun in one hand taser in the other. Zap some baddie (ghoul, vamp, etc) with it then cap them with the gun.

And if you caught the spellcaster off guard, they might not be able to hex it  :P
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2010, 07:51:34 PM »
And if you caught the spellcaster off guard, they might not be able to hex it  :P

Sometimes hexing just happens due to proximity. Don't forget. :)
Fred Hicks